UK Politics: Russian Adventures in Toryland

polishgenius

31 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You have to wonder if the tories are being as supportive of Jamie Wallis in private as they are being in public. 

Yeah, pretty sure they're being as caring and supportive as ever.

35 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You have to wonder if the tories are being as supportive of Jamie Wallis in private as they are being in public. 

Surely we already know the answer to this?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/30/boris-johnson-offers-support-to-trans-mp-just-hours-after-mocking-gender-identity-16370696/

Mr Johnson is said to have opened his speech at a dinner for Tory MPs earlier that night by saying: ‘Good evening ladies and gentleman, or as Keir Starmer would put it, people who are assigned female or male at birth.’

After Wallis’s announcement, the prime minister tweeted: ‘Sharing this very intimate story would have taken an immense amount of courage.

'Thank you for your bravery, which will undoubtedly support others. The Conservative Party I lead will always give you, and everyone else, the love and support you need to be yourself.’

Upsetting to see something like that in your neighbourhood. I can't imagine.

I am very glad that the guy couldn't have got a gun, but sorry that there was one fatality (and a couple of serious wounds) even so.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Indeed.  Was this guy a known nut job?

It was known tha the 2 of them had a running feud, and that it was reasonably one-sided. I didn't know the rest of the shit coming out in court.

But then, I didn't know either of them as anything more than nodding acquaintances.

I was at work when it happened, Ali missed it by minutes, as in she was leaving the estate whilst the cops were heading in.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

The barrel scraping isn't going well.

While I have no sympathy for any tory at all, it must be fucking stomach churning knowing you have to make yourself look a prick on national television to defend the indefensible and try to keep that bobble head in power. 

Enjoyed telling tory Councillor who canvassed my door tonight to 'never darken my doorstep again'. 

On 3/30/2022 at 3:54 PM, BigFatCoward said:

On 3/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, mormont said:

Just to hammer home the point:

Probably because it is, in fact, a signal that the government is uninterested in LGBT issues except if they can be weaponised as a culture war issue. After all, they've chosen to ditch this bill because of an alleged need to slim down the legislative agenda, but keep a bill on 'free speech' in universities that is largely intended to defend the rights of homophobic and transphobic speakers (a bill which the government has more or less admitted is legally entirely unnecessary, as the Office for Students already has sufficient powers to regulate in this area).

Choices, as they say, have been made.

56 minutes ago, mormont said:

Just to hammer home the point:

Probably because it is, in fact, a signal that the government is uninterested in LGBT issues except if they can be weaponised as a culture war issue. After all, they've chosen to ditch this bill because of an alleged need to slim down the legislative agenda, but keep a bill on 'free speech' in universities that is largely intended to defend the rights of homophobic and transphobic speakers (a bill which the government has more or less admitted is legally entirely unnecessary, as the Office for Students already has sufficient powers to regulate in this area).

Choices, as they say, have been made.

Expect a U-turn on this one. The outcry is going to be massive. If they wanted to slip it out whilst people were distracted by Ukraine, they were a week or so too late (Ukraine is still a big story, but other stories are now getting a lot more play as well).

I suspect they want to detach the conversion therapy for the LGB sector away from the T sector, which they are happier to exploit for political purposes, but haven't found a way of doing that is workable.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Expect a U-turn on this one. The outcry is going to be massive. If they wanted to slip it out whilst people were distracted by Ukraine, they were a week or so too late (Ukraine is still a big story, but other stories are now getting a lot more play as well).

I suspect they want to detach the conversion therapy for the LGB sector away from the T sector, which they are happier to exploit for political purposes, but haven't found a way of doing that is workable.

I'm not surprised that your predictions are entirely accurate, but I was maybe expecting it to take longer than an hour to come true:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60947028

The government insists it will ban so-called conversion therapy for gay or bisexual people in England and Wales - but not for transgender people.

It comes hours after it had said it would drop the ban entirely.

If they think this partial U-turn excluding transgender conversion therapy is going to stop the original backlash I think they're very much mistaken.

Archived