Football: Heartening Developments

polishgenius

Both Canada and Costa Rica appear to have won their matches, so USMNT needs to win against Panama to at least get closer to qualification. If they lose...well, they'll be on the road against Costa Rica and it'll be squeaky bum time.

Edit: Is Costa Rica-El Salvador still going on? Really hard to tell via google. I think its still in the 54th minute with Costa Rica up 2-1.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

The last time Canada qualified for the World Cup I didn't know there was a World Cup. I was a 15 year old die-hard hockey fan. 36 years later, I'm a die-hard soccer fan and ecstatic to watch my team play. Oh Canada!

This team put in the work, and had the belief. Herdman has done an incredible job with that group.

49 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

After that 5-1 win, the US are nearly through (but not quite yet). Cant believe how agonizingly painful this whole process is.

The US would have to suffer a total collapse and allow a team that normally doesn't score many goals to make it look like Germany against the likes of San Marino. So mathematically the US is not qualified, but realistically yes.

JFC. When will these wankers ever learn.

Clubs propose Champions League reforms based on coefficient ranking

Plans that would enable clubs to qualify for the Champions League based on historic performance and not their league position are back on the table, a year after the collapse of the European Super League.

Members of the European Club Association, an organisation which includes 10 Premier League sides, are to lobby Uefa to allow two teams to qualify for Europe’s elite club competition based in part on their coefficient, a metric calculated according to continental performance over the five previous seasons.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Just means we're going to lose to Costa Rica 5-0 and not make it.

We can still make it since there are the Intercontinental play offs between CONCACAF 4th place and OFC final winner (either New Zealand or Solomon Islands). Weirdly enough, the play offs will be in Qatar so the loser can have a taste of what could have been.

We play Armenia, it's at home and they're down to 10 men after being very much cynical in their handling of Erling Braut Haaland at the start of the match.

Still fun to be 5-0 up. Haaland twice, King twice, Thorstvedt once.

Archived