Football: Heartening Developments

polishgenius

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Joe Gomez is barely a fringe player for the national team and nowhere near as integral a part of the England setup as Maguire is though. Kinda stupid and disrespectful for England fans to be booing him when he's been solid in an England shirt and an important cog in a team that got to a WC semi final and Euro final.

I think one thing that pissed England fans was how he celebrated when he scored against Albania. He was technically bringing the controversy around him when in a united shirt.

Maguire was being criticised when playing for united. England he always performs, so when he does the hand on ear celebration it kinda rubs off wrongly on English supporters. No doubt he was directing it to the pundits and united fans that criticised him but he also dragged England into it.

50 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Have football fans become even more boorish in recent times? So many examples this week.

Anyway, today is the day for CONCACAF. Fingers crossed USMNT doesnt lose by 6 goals.

It does feel that way when see some of the stadium fans gurning with hate and rage.  Burnely have always done this but some of the moments at Goodison Park have been bad this year, and it seems to happen in pockets of most stadiums.

But maybe it’s not about football.  Perhaps it’s just another manifestation of this zeitgeist of uncivility, tribalism and anger.  There’s a a deep undercurrent of precariousness, resentment and disconnectedness in a lot of the world.

Edit to include a relevant link, although far from the world of football: The Atlantic

11 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Have football fans become even more boorish in recent times? So many examples this week.

No. A large portion of football fans have always been this way. If anything the football hooliganism, especially in countries that have taken stern measures, is tamer now than it used to be.

10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But maybe it’s not about football.

I'm no sociologist, but I wonder how having such boorish, unashamed lawbreakers sitting in two of the most powerful offices in the world might have affected society in those countries.

I wonder, if Theresa May was still in charge, would Wembley have been stormed by all those cretins last year?

51 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'm no sociologist, but I wonder how having such boorish, unashamed lawbreakers sitting in two of the most powerful offices in the world might have affected society in those countries.

I wonder, if Theresa May was still in charge, would Wembley have been stormed by all those cretins last year?

what the hell?

Nah, the point is that the boorish football idiots have always been around, but they tend to have been priced out of a lot of the game or sidelined. If you go to matches you will spot them, usually in the singing end or in the pubs. I know I'd much rather go to the football these days than back in the 80's. The game has managed to become a lot more universal, commercial and somewhat more polite. That has its positives and negatives I guess.

Passion tends to breed violence. Hooligans tend to be the most passionate of supporters (and minority of them just like to be violent for the sake of it).

In the premier league I see how slowly stadiums are being filled by average supporters that treat the game as an entertainment. This is something Jurgen Klopp has commented on. He kinda complained that anfield is less enthusiastic and loud than previous years (except for the Kop end, they are always loud).

From my point of view you go to a stadium not to watch a session of footie but mainly to support your club. Ive seen it in stadiums where if you try to start singing people look at you with an annoyed look and sometimes tell you to shut up or sit down.

One of the bad things of footballs globalisation is that the energetic atmosphere is slowly dying, and being replaced by this brand of boring tennis attendees.

Looking at rankings, the worst draw for England would be Mexico, Senegal, Wales. Which just proves how diluted the World Cup is in quality. Because if that is the worst case scenario, you would still expect to stroll it if you were one of the pot 1 teams. 

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

stout. Fucking worldle.

S*OUT

took me three shots to get the correct letter into that spot. stout was my first attempt.  :bang:

Heh. I lucked out by getting in on my second attempt with same hole.

Archived