Unanswered Questions in Dance of the Dragons

EggBlue

On 3/28/2022 at 3:08 AM, EggBlue said:
  •  What were Larys Strong's motivations?
  • Why did Cole and Aemond separate ways after Harrenhall?
  • What was the relationship between Daemon and Nettles?
  • Why did Mysaria and Daemon's alliance fell apart?
  • Who killed Helaena ,if it wasn't suicide? and Why then , if it was?

ok, let's discuss..

He's a combo of Varys and Baelish. He is from an insignificant house and has enough wits to be dangerous and cunning and he's played both sides and caused the realm to be engulfed in war where he could work himself up and also supported Aegon over Rhaenyra because of the latter's ruthless possession of her birthright causing her to devastate much of Westeros

20 minutes ago, GOTSeriesfan said:

He's a combo of Varys and Baelish. He is from an insignificant house and has enough wits to be dangerous and cunning and he's played both sides and caused the realm to be engulfed in war where he could work himself up and also supported Aegon over Rhaenyra because of the latter's ruthless possession of her birthright causing her to devastate much of Westeros

Daemon saw Nettles as a surrogate daughter and Aemond had decided to go burn the Riverlands

22 minutes ago, GOTSeriesfan said:

Daemon also apparently slept with Nettles so Mysaria denounced him and maybe Helaena couldn't endure prison

• 1 month later...

One thing I recently tought about (yesterday, to be more precise), is what happened to Alys Rivers and her son withAemonf Targaryen.

Didn't find a topic focusing only on her and her son, so I tought this is the place I should come to.

So of course we know how Fire and Blood ended with a cliffhanger in their case, but that doesn't explain how few people remember them or how historical accounts don't seem to ever talk about them as ever being a huge deal. So I came up with the idea that:

-Daemon did survive the Battle above the God's eye. He was either saved by the green men from the Isle of Faces, or got there by himself, and was accepted into there.

-Spending time there, he became one with the mystical society of the island, giving up all his ambitions, relations and duties of his past life, hence the reason he stayed there, altough it may be that he wasn't even allowed to leave. He may had been a fascinating person to the green man, with (I guess) magic in his blood and all, but this isn't a requirement to the whole theory to function.

-However, there's a point to be made about having magic in someone's blood, and that happens to be in Alys' son's case. The boy was not only a Targaryen, but her mother a supposed witch, a seemingly very powerful one. Now of course, it isn't that popular in ASOIAF to have magical powers due to your bloodline of witches and stuff, but it was a very common thing people  based and base their claims of posessing supernatural abilities in real life.

-In the end, Daemon, as a changed man, wanted to save the boy from the death that was knocking on the gates of Harrenhall. His intentions may have alligned with what the green men of the island wanted, since the boy probably had magic in his blood or something. It also may be that they only approved of it because it was a boy with magic in his blood, or that this whole thing was their ambition and deed, with Daemon being completely out of the picture, dead or alive.

So what I say is: The green men of the Isle of Faces took the boy as danger was closing on him and his mother, because the little lad may have posessed magical powers that could serve the Old Gods in the future. This would explain why there isn't a proper ending given to him in any source as of yet, and why wasn't he ever adressed in TWOIAF as a major threat to Aegon III's rule.

I imagine his mother Alys Rivers didn't accompany him to the island, since the boy was stolen from her, and she was 'taken down' by the forces of Aegon III, named and imposter for claiming she married Aemond Targaryen and had a trueborn son from the marraige, which only a few ever saw, and thus it became a legen od some sort.

Note that the survival of Daemon Targaryen isn't a requirement for the theory to work, but it may make a little more sense that way. I really love the character but I have no interest in him after the Battle of the God's Eye, even if he survived. He also is George's favorite Targaryen, and he may have given him some more time than it would first seem to any reader.

((I know it is crackpot, it is just an idea originating from boredom I've been in the last few days. I don't feel strongly about it, but I think it's an interesting take that would still fit the narrative, despite the wildness.))

Also, I'm not sure if this is related to the whole idea presented in my last post, but:

-Daemon, after arriving at Harrenhall, was counting the days by slashing one mark on the weirwood tree of Harrenhall each day.

-He made 13 slashes in total, as Aemond showed up on the 14th day of his waiting (he made the marks at dusk). The Last Hero and his companions numbered 13. The Night's Kings was the 13th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The Night's King also ruled for 13 years.  Why did he do it, and why on the weirwood tree? Why did Aemond only show up on the 14th day, after 13 slashes, that bleed every spring to this day? He could've kept in mind the number of days just as well, he could've numbered them on a piece of paper if he wanted to, he could've made someone count them for him, but no he had to do slashes on the heart tree.

-The other interesting fact is that there is a godswood in Harrenhall, with a weirwood in it. The construction of Harrenhall started some 40 years before Aegon's conquest, but the Hoares weren't followers of the Old Gods at all. Yet there was a godswood, with a weirwood tree. If the tree was planted, it could've been 170 years old by the Dance. If I'm not wrong, weirwoods grow very slowly, don't they? 170 years later the tree is big enough for Daemon to make marks on it, 350 years later it has a face and Arya climbs on it. I guess the castle must have been built around one then, but that doesn't make sense either, from the POV of a Hoare. My bet is on George not thinking trough things when he decided upon the origin story of Harrenhall, which is okay. I guess this is really hard to come by with.

-The third point could be totally unrelated thou, but the conclusion I make is: Daemon was doing meaningless things that somehow are connected to the Old Gods, which gives strange hints towards him surviving the battle above the God's Eye, and ending up on the Isle of Faces, which, of course, makes the idea of Aemond's son being taken away by the green man a little more likely.

Archived