Watch, Watched, Watching: Mr and Mrs Smith and Other Famous Hits

IFR

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I was going to say something about how much of an improvement Witcher season 2 appears to be over the first one..

.. but I didn't see how that was relevant to Will Smith so what is the point. 

Is it?  I haven't watched it yet, I was going to rewatch season 1, but then, realized I was not that into it in the first place.  

I haven't even cracked Bridgerton yet or Ozark.  

Correction: I guess it's Linklater's Before trilogy. Anyway, it was very enjoyable.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Is it?  I haven't watched it yet, I was going to rewatch season 1, but then, realized I was not that into it in the first place.  

I feel like season 1 of The Witcher presented such a low bar to hurdle that anything would be an improvement.

I managed to get about halfway through season 2 before giving that show up. The only positives for me is that Henry Cavill is very good and charismatic in that role. I also have warmed up to Freya Allen as Ciri.

I am definitely not a fan of all the deviations from the book the show introduced. Not because I'm opposed to changes as such. But I'm not a fan of the cases where it seems like the writers are making a sincere effort to replace the original material with the most inane, generic, nonsensical tripe that they can come up with. It was not something I was a fan of in The Wheel of Time, and I wasn't a fan of it with The Witcher.

But one's miles, of course, may vary.

54 minutes ago, IFR said:

Correction: I guess it's Linklater's Before trilogy. Anyway, it was very enjoyable.

I feel like season 1 of The Witcher presented such a low bar to hurdle that anything would be an improvement.

I managed to get about halfway through season 2 before giving that show up. The only positives for me is that Henry Cavill is very good and charismatic in that role. I also have warmed up to Freya Allen as Ciri.

I am definitely not a fan of all the deviations from the book the show introduced. Not because I'm opposed to changes as such. But I'm not a fan of the cases where it seems like the writers are making a sincere effort to replace the original material with the most inane, generic, nonsensical tripe that they can come up with. It was not something I was a fan of in The Wheel of Time, and I wasn't a fan of it with The Witcher.

But one's miles, of course, may vary.

I liked the Witcher much better than Wheel of Time, but haven't read any of the Witcher's source material.  I did read the first Wheel of Time book, but suffice it to say, I won't be reading any further in the series.

20 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I liked the Witcher much better than Wheel of Time, but haven't read any of the Witcher's source material.  I did read the first Wheel of Time book, but suffice it to say, I won't be reading any further in the series.

That's fair enough. While the WoT books have fantastic moments and do have some impressive qualities, they are not themselves particularly great. There are many, many books out there that are far superior.

WoT is definitely not for everyone.

14 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I haven't even cracked Bridgerton yet or Ozark.  

I found season 1 to be a big improvement on itself when rewatched. And I liked it fine enough the first time.

I have had to go back numerous times and rewatch Season 1 of the Witcher to actually understand a lot of what is going on in S2. 

For me the biggest improvement in S2 is that the story is simply structured a lot more methodically. The time jumps were extremely jarring in S1, and now that there is less of that its a much easier watch. 

The strength of the show for me is when it tells stories about it's main characters, Geralt, Yen and Ciri. Where I tend to check out is when it tries to bring in the wider political discussion, who is invading who, migration of elves and stuff. It think because it all feels very derivative of all other fantasy, and in a worse way, I don't enjoy it so much. So far in season 2 the stories feel a little more self contained, that might change as I get through the rest of it, but thats the bits I like.

If Witcher was a monster of the week show I'd be happy with that.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

If Witcher was a monster of the week show I'd be happy with that.

Yeah, I wish at least half of the episodes in a season were this. Dealing with all the elves and that stuff bores me also.

I finished watching The Righteous Gemstones. I think this forum, and my friend, hyped up Baby Billy’s s2 wildness a little too much… or my expectations were just too high. I mean he was funny but I was waiting for something bigger to happen, or something? Anyways, it’s a solid comedy and I’ll keep watching.

Death on the Nile is on HBO Max after two years of delays. The book was one of the first I read after the pandemic started and I've been waiting for this one for a bit. Visually speaking the movie is gorgeous. Nearly every shot looks spectacular. And the acting overall was solid. It's nothing groundbreaking, but if you've got two free hours and you like murder mysteries, give this one a go.

Watched Paul Verhoven's Benedetta, a dramatized and salacious rendition of the life of Benedetta Carlini, an Italian nun and abbess who became the center of scandal when she claimed to have holy visions and stigmata, and in the course of investigation it was discovered that she and a sister named Bartolomea were having sex with one another (and doing so with the help of a particularly blasphemous instrument). Verhoven does some interesting bits reflecting medieval life and weaves it into a narrative that is about forbidden passion... but really a lot more about sincere belief in a religion that dominated Western thought for hundreds and hundreds of years. Benedetta's visions are all quite prosaic, and what's blended together in the narrative is the question of how much she believes in what she says against how much of it is self-serving. The answer is an interesting one.

Of course, researching it further, some very decided license is taken by Verhoven to make things rather more dramatic, particularly in the last half hour. He also very much gives a very different interpretation of Benedetta's later life than what the record shows, but one supposes one must allow an artist some license.

Fine performance from Virginie Efira as Benedetta, and Charlotte Rampling as Mother Felicitia. 

Now on to a very different medieval drama, The Green Knight. I've always loved the poem and Pearl, both from the same poet, and read it through I don't know how many times back in the day. I'm only twenty minutes in and recognize some of the elements particular to the poem, which is nice.

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Death on the Nile is on HBO Max after two years of delays. The book was one of the first I read after the pandemic started and I've been waiting for this one for a bit. Visually speaking the movie is gorgeous. Nearly every shot looks spectacular. And the acting overall was solid. It's nothing groundbreaking, but if you've got two free hours and you like murder mysteries, give this one a go.

How is it compared to the Orient Express?

59 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

How is it compared to the Orient Express?

Overall MotOE is probably the better film though the difference in quality isn't very large. And a point in favor of DotN is it's a lot more straightforward. I had to rewatch MotOE because I felt like I missed a lot shown in the big reveal. I don't think most people will feel that way about the big reveal in DotN. 

From the past thread ...

On 2/10/2022 at 10:05 PM, Ran said:

There have been rumors going back half a decade that Willis has memory problems and could be suffering early-onset dementia, which would perhaps partially explain why he's doing these gigs when anything more arduous or complicated may be a struggle for him.

Welp. This reminds me of Terry Jones, whose aphasia was related to dementia. If it was coming on slowly, and they're only admitting it now, then something degenerative seems likely. If he's gone from degeneration to something suddenly more marked, could be the result of a stroke or something...

Regardless, a real shame. I recall all the stories of his being an asshole at times to people he worked with (Kevin Smith did not have an easy time with him), but in interviews and before the public he was always pretty charming, and had something of an Old Hollywood star quality to him that not many actors have these days.

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

For me the biggest improvement in S2 is that the story is simply structured a lot more methodically. The time jumps were extremely jarring in S1, and now that there is less of that its a much easier watch. 

Pro-tip for aspiring filmmakers: When you're writing a show with a lot of time jumps, maybe take into account that the characters in said story don't age, which makes it very difficult to tell when a scene is taking place if you don't offer any context.

Like, give Geralt a fucking beard or something.

Archived