Watch, Watched, Watching: Mr and Mrs Smith and Other Famous Hits

IFR

Question for anyone who watched Euphoria S2

Spoiler

Are we supposed to wonder is Nates dad molested him when he was around 9?  When Nate and his mom are drinking and talking in the kitchen she mentions how sweet he was and that around age 9 he changed and became dark.  Put that with his dads sexual tendancies to underage boys/girls, and Nates nightmare where his dad was having sex with him... The dream could also obviously tie in to Nate having seen the videos and him wanting his dad to love him or show him affection but when the mom said he changed and became dark it made me wonder.

44 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Of course I can’t find it now either, but it’s basically…

Reveal hidden contents

A trailer for a prequel called Pearl about the older woman in her younger days at the farm, starring Mia Goth.

Yeah, I found a ton of videos talking about it, but couldn't actually find it and triple checked Prime. It's not there.

The Batman is a 10/10 for me. I'll be the millionth person to say it's too long and has some faults, but ultimately it doesn't distract from the overall brilliance of the film. I fucking loved it and can't wait to read The Long Halloween. The Dark Knight is obviously the best Batman movie, but this entry might be second and they have a ton of room for growth with these new characters. 

Team Edward won the long game.

Finished S3 of Sherlock. Overall, I am enjoying the bromance (which is both the theme and the storyline). However, it was getting a little saccharine on the emotional front for my tastes. But I do have a fondness for the characters (Una Stubbs is brilliant too) and will be sad when I have finished watching.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I, too, liked it this movie initially. Not a lot, but well enough. But I learned last year, after re-watching it, that even the real life guy Mortensen plays may have been a fraud. A lot of his accounts are strongly disputed. So there may be nothing historical about it anyway.

Oh yeah, but Disney decided to still market it as a story based on true events :ack: Not that you need to know anything about the lies of the man on whose tall tales this was based. It is so blatantly obvious that the story is based on nothing that even resembles the truth in any way, shape or form because it is so absolutely shitty.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have no doubt. Just wish they weren't so hidden. Even when I was in that part of the world most of the stuff I saw was just dubbed stuff from the U.S. The Simpsons are even bigger there than in the states. I drank a Duff beer at a bar dedicated to the show. Was pretty decent TBH.

They probably hadn't even gotten to the bad years of the Simpsons yet. While you were there, they probably just saw the last season of Miami Vice and were finding it hard to believe just how good early Simpsons was ;) 

A long list of stuff I've watched that I haven't already mentioned of late:

Mission Impossible: Fallout -- Solid entry into the series. 

Old Enough! -- A Netflix series editing down a Japanese show which features children as young as 2 years old being sent out alone by their parents on their "first errand". Incredibly cute, and a testament to how safe Japanese society is for children. The show of course takes all manner of pains to make sure nothing dangerous happens -- you'll start to be able to pick out the "passerby" who happens to always be a few paces behind the child, making sure they don't wander into a street or cross a busy road by mistake. The camera men have a hell of a job, carrying cameras hidden in fishing tackle boxes or bags. An interesting tidbit from one episode is that they found that after the age of 5 years, 3 months, most kids become too aware of the cameras and know something is up. Younger than that, even if they notice them, they don't really connect them to what they're doing.

Season 4 of Disenchantment -- It's becoming very "meh", with laugh-out-loud moments fewer and further between. A shame, but it continues building up its narrative, revisiting storylines from past seasons and so on.

The Age of Innoncence -- Mentioned it off-handedly earlier this month when discussing method acting, but having recently finished The Gilded Age, it seemed appropriate to revisit the same milieu a few decades prior to the event of that TV series. As I think @sologdin remarked, it's very minor Scorsese.

Minx -- A comedic series about a 1970s feminist publishing a feminist magazine liberally disguised as a Playgirl-style women's magazine filled with nude men. Hijinks ensue. It was fun, though it felt like it lost some steam towards the end of the first season (no word as to whether it's gotten a 2nd season renewal, IIRC.) I did think a relationship that developed late in the show was rather forced and silly.

Winning Time -- Think I briefly remarked on it, but yeah, a solidly entertaining look at the beginning of the "Showtime" LA Lakers, though visually it's all over the place, randomly editing footage to look like one shot is done on 16mm film, another as if it's from a VHS rig, and so on and so forth with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Tokyo Vice -- For some reason, here in Sweden we only have the third episode this week, whereas I gather five have aired so far in the US. May have to do with the fact that Starzplay Europe apparently has the rights as well -- maybe HBO Max only gets to release it after a window for them? Anyways, enjoying it, although the visuals became a bit less interesting after the pilot directed by Michael Mann. 

Posted in the dedicated thread as well, but we finished Severance on AppleTv and it was excellent.  Highly, highly recommended if you are even slightly into SciFi.  Even if you aren't, I think you could get into this show.  My wife and I absolutely loved it and S2 has been greenlit.  Watch it.  Seriously.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Tokyo Vice -- For some reason, here in Sweden we only have the third episode this week, whereas I gather five have aired so far in the US.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I think @sologdin remarked, it's very minor Scorsese.

Liking this a great deal, because of the actors/characters;  I am particularly enamored of Rinko Kikuchi who plays Eimi, as a  Korean woman (though I believe the actor is Japanese) who is the newspaper's managing editor. She begins by breaking Adelstein's balls, and then, he seemingly proving himself, rather partnering as well as enabling with him in his Yakusa investigations.  Rachel Keller's Samantha becomes more and more interesting as well, as the series continues. So do so many of the younger, supporting characters, such as Shô Kasamatsu as young, ambitious Yakusa Sato, who must vie with the charisma of Ken Watanabe as cop, Hiroto Katagiri. The interactions of the characters are a joy to watch, because their abilities make all of them interesting and so watchable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for Age of Innocence,  watching over the years Scorese's filmic history of NYC develop, I need to disagree, particularly as this is the thesis to the antithesis of Gangs of New York.  However, it was incredibly weakened by casting Winona Ryder as May Welland.  She didn't have the look, body language, skills to stand with the other cast.  She was in way over her head.  Whereas whenever I rewatch this film, I am all the more impressed by Michelle Pfeiffer's character. But as the violence here is relatively gentle emotional violence of mores vs. passion, Scorsese fans in general hated it -- it wasn't 'a Scorsese film!" they howled.  It was amusing to see how many young males got up and left the theater about a half hour into the film, infuriated -- I was at a first screening the day it was released.

~~~~~~~~~~

HBO Batman - Furries vs. Incels.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/the-batman-predicts-an-incels-vs-furries-civil-war.html

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was fascinated by just how good the film looked. They absolutely captured the style and feel of the era they were trying to recreate. The first half of the film isn't a horror film at all yet it completely sucked me in. 

Spoiler

Yes the film looked great. I loved opening shot with the door-frame changing the aspect ratio.

I also really appreciated that the victims where all largely likeable and sympathetic characters. Too many slasher movies just goes with having most of the characters being shallow assholes that no one will mind seeing brutally murdered.

Watched the new Batman yesterday as well, gotta say I'm surprised I really don't have any strong opinions on it.  It was definitely much longer than it needed to be - I enjoyed the epic tone and pace but I think it would've been better served at more like 140-150 minutes.  Pattinson's Batman was also a little too brooding and emo for me, but I suppose I'm not the audience they're targeting there, and in general he was pretty good.  OTOH, I didn't really mind the third act nearly as much as I thought I would (albeit complaints about it on here likely altered my expectations).  Compared to your standard nonsensical cgi-fest climax these days, really wasn't that bad.

I think I'd still prefer the Burton Batmans (and certainly Nolan's), but I wouldn't argue with anyone that said this was better than Burton's and Dark Knight Rises.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

However, it was incredibly weakened by casting Winona Ryder as May Welland.  She didn't have the look, body language, skills to stand with the other cast. 

First Paltrow, now Ryder. I'm sensing that you have very fixed views about who is or isn't suitable to appear in a period drama. Personally, I quite liked Ryder because she radiated conventional mores and a sort of sweet, uncomplicated innocence that fooled Newland just enough into thinking she largely missed the interior drama of his life.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

But as the violence here is relatively gentle emotional violence of mores vs. passion, Scorsese fans in general hated it

You mean Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, and/or Goodfellas fans. True Scorsese fans knew he was as capable of making The King of Comedy, The Last Temptation of Christ, or Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore as he is those crime-focused films. 

I call it minor Scorsese because it's too literal an adaptation of Wharton's novel, relying too much on word-for-word voice over from a remote Joanne Woodward to try and convey the mood and style of Wharton's prose. But we're not reading a novel, we're watching a film. Scorsese's adaptation of Shūsaku Endō's Silence is a much more successful translation of a book to the screen, IMO.

Still, even minor Scorsese is worth watching, for actual fans of Scorsese as a director.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

'm sensing that you have very fixed views about who is or isn't suitable to appear in a period drama.

I am to be censured for being thrown out of a sense of period by such out-of-period portrayals because ... ?

Other viewers here receive that same jolt out of the immersion in a sense of period from wrong armor etc., are they to be censured as well?

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I believe U.S. Peaky Blinder fans will finally be able to see the final season starting tomorrow on Netflix.

What about Canada?

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Watched the new Batman yesterday as well, gotta say I'm surprised I really don't have any strong opinions on it.  It was definitely much longer than it needed to be - I enjoyed the epic tone and pace but I think it would've been better served at more like 140-150 minutes.  Pattinson's Batman was also a little too brooding and emo for me, but I suppose I'm not the audience they're targeting there, and in general he was pretty good.  OTOH, I didn't really mind the third act nearly as much as I thought I would (albeit complaints about it on here likely altered my expectations).  Compared to your standard nonsensical cgi-fest climax these days, really wasn't that bad.

I think I'd still prefer the Burton Batmans (and certainly Nolan's), but I wouldn't argue with anyone that said this was better than Burton's and Dark Knight Rises.

I liked it a lot. This is a very young "Year Two" Batman. He's supposed to be emotional and brooding. Pattinson was pretty good. I'm not sure how I feel about the costume. 

I had no problem with the length, but yeah, the editing could have been a bit more crisp in some places. I could have done without the big action set piece featuring the Batmobile, but you gotta have that. It's an amazing sequence, but it seemed out of place. Also I'm pretty sure that when he's doing his "intimidation thing" during the reveal he actually stalled it. They said, "cool, put it in!"

The direction, editing, cinematography, score were all top shelf. It got a bit melodramatic at times, but still good fun. I thought it was a bit clumsy with expositions at times; with characters explaining what the audience is hearing/seeing*. This smacks of producer notes. The third act could have had a better setup. Some of that stuff was very "Deus ex Machina".  

Spoiler

*e.g. Gordon's, "He's strangling her." was unnecessary.  

It's Definitely one of the grittiest takes. And there's absolutely no chance...

Spoiler

...any of The Riddlers followers died in the third act as a consequence of their encounter with Batman. Nope. 

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Groan.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I am to be censured for being thrown out of a sense of period by such out-of-period portrayals because ... ?

Censure is a strong word -- I don't care enough about your views on the topic to feel so strongly as to feel any great emotion over it. We all have our opinions, our quirks and peccadillos. It's just that your having similar views about Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love, and so recently, caught my attention. But then again, for how long have we been posting about film and television on this forum? So it's no doubt mere coincidence more than anything else.

Now, if we want to talk actors miscast in a period piece, Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula was unfortunate. (I liked him pretty well in Dangerous Liasons, OTOH, but he was also miscast in Brannagh's Much Ado About Nothing.)

Re: The Batman,

Surely this is Batman: Year Three? It's said several times that he's been around for two years, so this must be the third year, no?

11 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Also I'm pretty sure that when he's doing his "intimidation thing" during the reveal he actually stalled it. They said, "cool, put tin!"

"He" being a stunt driver, yes?

Spoiler

Maybe it stalled on the stunt driver. But in the film, we hear the brakes squealing, so it wasn't a stall, it was a deliberate jump, an intimidation move to panic the Penguin and try to get him to run, presumably to separate him from his guys and perhaps help get Gordon and Selina out of the jam they were in since they were pinned down by the henchmen.

Street racers do this sort of thing to challenge and intimidate one another, and as it happens the novelization of the film includes the fact that Bruce was involved in underground street racing before he put on the cape and cowl. Obviously, maybe the fortiutous stall led to "Lets add a braking sound" and that led to, "Oh, right, Bruce must have been street racing" and that's how that ended up in the novel. But, OTOH, Reeves has spoken about the scene and, so far, has not noted that the car stalled.

19 minutes ago, Ran said:

Surely this is Batman: Year Three? It's said several times that he's been around for two years, so this must be the third year, no?

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe it stalled on the stunt driver. But in the film, we hear the brakes squealing, so it wasn't a stall, it was a deliberate jump, an intimidation move to panic the Penguin and try to get him to run, presumably to separate him from his guys and perhaps help get Gordon and Selina out of the jam they were in since they were pinned down by the henchmen.

Street racers do this sort of thing to challenge and intimidate one another, and as it happens the novelization of the film includes the fact that Bruce was involved in underground street racing before he put on the cape and cowl. Obviously, maybe the fortiutous stall led to "Lets add a braking sound" and that led to, "Oh, right, Bruce must have been street racing" and that's how that ended up in the novel. But, OTOH, Reeves has spoken about the scene and, so far, has not noted that the car stalled.

I thought it was Batman: Year Two. I thought that's how it was advertised. Maybe it's Batman: End of Year Two.

Spoiler

The Joker scene at the end mentions he was put in Arkham a year before.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Yeah, sure. Whatever. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Hide contents

We don't hear brakes squealing. We hear tire noise. And it's irrelevant because they can dub in whatever noise they want.

I'm reminded of watching the H-D Livewire sequences in Age of Ultron. I've seen and heard that motorcycle running and it does sound very "Star Wars", which Whedon liked very much. The sound is a combination of electric motor, drive belt and tire noise but also gear whine, which is unique among electric bikes because of the motor orientation. 

But if you listen closely, maybe with a good pair of headphones or a nice surround sound system, they clearly added a bit of combustion engine noise to the bike's soundtrack.  It's not very prominent in the mix but it's definitely there. 

Archived