Ranking Pixar Movies article...

Jaxom 1974

Up being 9th is some straight up bullshit, and wall-e is significantly better than incredibles, which is a charming superhero story with nothing super new to the genre.

Incredibles is more of a family drama than a superhero film...but I understand your point.  Up actually did nothing much for me and it's one of the few Pixar films I've not seen all the way through, so I cannot comment on its placement.  

I quibble with Ratatouille being 11...it should be higher...

Ugh. Serious question; do articles like this actually drive traffic to entertainment websites or is it a kind of "make-work" project they give to some intern to fill an article quota?

I despise these things. Every time and MCU, DC, Batman, Star Wars, etc film comes out, IGN, Collider, blah, blah, blah do one of these things. I think I even saw one ranking Scorsese films a little while ago. Give it a rest already.

This is an invitation to play an impossible game. I won't do it. I won't do it, IGN! Also, Soul, Brave, Good Dinosaur, Wall-E, and Inside Out should be ranked higher. 

2 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

Up being 9th is some straight up bullshit, and wall-e is significantly better than incredibles, which is a charming superhero story with nothing super new to the genre.

That and the intern forgot to include Incredibles 2 in the rankings. 

ETA: Yeah it's 14th. Oopsie. The practice is still bankrupt. 

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Incredibles is more of a family drama than a superhero film...but I understand your point.  Up actually did nothing much for me and it's one of the few Pixar films I've not seen all the way through, so I cannot comment on its placement.  

I quibble with Ratatouille being 11...it should be higher...

Up has the second best opening of any Pixar movie - a crazy effective piece that uses no words and conveys massive emotional heft. Wall-E is the best obviously, where the first 20 minutes of the movie have no protagonist dialog. 

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Up has the second best opening of any Pixar movie - a crazy effective piece that uses no words and conveys massive emotional heft. Wall-E is the best obviously, where the first 20 minutes of the movie have no protagonist dialog. 

Beyond that opening, nothing about Up appealed to me. Can't say I've gotten much beyond it.

6 hours ago, Kalibuster said:

They do, but then what? I can barely remember what happened after the awesome starts, though I've only seen both once.  

I will say that Up's opening is the best of all Pixar openings, really wonderful example of dialougless film. But the rest of the film after it is about par with a number of other Pixar films, and I think there are Pixar films that are more memorable throughout. I'd say Wall-E is my top pick ("Evaaaaa!"), or maybe Ratatouille.  I'd put Up at, like, fifth or sixth, behind those, CocoToy Story 2, and maybe The Incredibles.

Ed Asner was great in Up, too.

I think looked at 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

They do, but then what? I can barely remember what happened after the awesome starts, though I've only seen both once.  

True, they both have amazing opening segments and then fall back into rather generic action adventure formulaic stuff, but they get a lot of love simply on the basis of those brave opening moments. 

Overall I'd say when Pixar is on fire its when its telling those deep emotional stories that seem to say something about the human condition.. but also bring along and entertain kids at the same time.

Thats why I wouldn't put Incredibles at number 1. It's a fun superhero movie sure, but it's not teaching me anything about what it means to be alive, or how I think or my relationship with death. Thats why I would put movies like Inside Out or Soul higher, because they are just doing things that you wouldn't expect a kids cartoon to do.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Overall I'd say when Pixar is on fire its when its telling those deep emotional stories that seem to say something about the human condition.. but also bring along and entertain kids at the same time.

I find it much harder to get my daughter to watch those though. I don't think they do entertain kids as much. I was loving Soul and she said 'daddy this is rubbish'. 

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I find it much harder to get my daughter to watch those though. I don't think they do entertain kids as much. I was loving Soul and she said 'daddy this is rubbish'. 

Yeah I buy that. Soul especially doesn’t really appeal to younger kids in parts, I thought  it was great though 

Incredibles is great. Probably be in my top 3? But I do bias to a good classic superhero story. And there probably is some nostalgia for a particular time in Incredibles, Nemo and Monsters Inc being my top 3

I think Inside Out lost some appeal to me because I saw it just after Song of the Sea, which is a very different movie but has some similar messages about memory, nostalgia and that, and is just (to me) better. Coco I just didn't like much at all, but apparently I just have no soul because everyone else cries.

I do agree with everyone that Up and Wall-E both hang it all on their openings and are a bit eh after that. 

I also left Coco feeling nothing, I'm not sure why because it should be incredibly deep and meaningful, it just did nothing for me.

I'd question Toy Story 3 being so high, is it the best one? Is Toy Story 1 still the best? They all seem to merge into one for me, and there is a bit of repetition of theme there. 

This list has made me realise that actually there are no perfect Pixar movies, as highly as I regard them, I can see issues with all of them. 

Coco may speak particularly to me just because of the Hispanic culture part of things, and also just because one of my grandmothers lived with us and helped raised my siblings and I from when I was quite young. That particular multigenerational household is very familiar to me, and to many Latinos, I think.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

I will say that Up's opening is the best of all Pixar openings, really wonderful example of dialougless film. But the rest of the film after it is about par with a number of other Pixar films, and I think there are Pixar films that are more memorable throughout. I'd say Wall-E is my top pick ("Evaaaaa!"), or maybe Ratatouille.  I'd put Up at, like, fifth or sixth, behind those, CocoToy Story 2, and maybe The Incredibles.

Ed Asner was great in Up, too.

I think looked at 

Toy Story 2?  I find that one to be the most difficult to watch.  It's just...not speaking to me the same way that Toy Story 3 does.  That one, in my opinion, is the superior Toy Story...

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Toy Story 2?  I find that one to be the most difficult to watch.  It's just...not speaking to me the same way that Toy Story 3 does.  That one, in my opinion, is the superior Toy Story...

I'm honestly not even sure I've seen Toy Store 3

Toy Story 2 is my favorite TS by quite a large margin.  The animation is significantly better than the first, you have the introduction of Jesse and Bullseye, and her story is quite powerful.  3 & 4 don't really do anything for me, 4 is especially weak.

This list has showed me one thing though, I love pretty much the entire list.  I've seen all of those movies at least 20 times each (except Monsters University and Red) and some of those I've seen probably 100 times.  We own pretty much the entire collection and routinely have family favorites that are constantly on.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Coco may speak particularly to me just because of the Hispanic culture part of things, and also just because one of my grandmothers lived with us and helped raised my siblings and I from when I was quite young. That particular multigenerational household is very familiar to me, and to many Latinos, I think.

There is a criticism of Turning Red that it was too personal and people who weren't asian teenage girls wouldn't relate. I'm not an asian teenage girl and I still liked it. Maybe I would have gotten more out of it if I was, but it worked just fine either way. Probably same with Coco, but actually the strength of the good Pixar movies is that their themes are universal, and shouldn't be targeting one demographic over others. On the whole I think they do a very good job.

Archived