Ranking Pixar Movies article...

Jaxom 1974

Man reading that list just makes me realize how few Pixar movies I've seen.  Of those I have, Wall-E is the clear number one.  I agree Toy Story 3 is the best Toy Story (have I seen 4?  I thought I did but now I can't remember it...)  I also thought Up was a bit overrated, but doesn't seem to be on that list.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Man reading that list just makes me realize how few Pixar movies I've seen.  Of those I have, Wall-E is the clear number one.  I agree Toy Story 3 is the best Toy Story (have I seen 4?  I thought I did but now I can't remember it...)  I also thought Up was a bit overrated, but doesn't seem to be on that list.

Up is on there.  All Pixar films are there. 

And also, I think Cars get far too little love...top 10? Probably not, but they're not awful...said the dad who has seen the original dozens and dozens of times because of his kids... :P

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say that if the toys had all died/been destroyed by the compactor in toy story 3 it would have been fucking perfect. 

Disagree.  Understand your point, but I think that having the toys get passed on to Bonnie...that was a better ending, it resonated more.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say that if the toys had all died/been destroyed by the compactor in toy story 3 it would have been fucking perfect. 

I’d heard SO much about how sad the ending was before I saw it, I was like “oh shit, they’re … they’re gonna do it … they’re gonna kill all these toys…!” Feel a bit stupid for thinking it now, I mean it’s fucking Toy Story.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

And then they went and spoiled it all by making Toy Story 4

Yes. And no. 

I don't know if I would have made Toy Story 4...but I get the idea that Woody's Story wasn't 100% complete at the end of 3...

If all of the Toys had left with Bo...that would have been a total repudiation of 3...

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You seen the vid where some guy pranked his mum by editing it so it ended and the credits rolled there?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

There is a criticism of Turning Red that it was too personal and people who weren't asian teenage girls wouldn't relate.

Right. Coco did $800 million business, so I do think it's pretty universal. I'm just saying why in particular I thought it worked so well for me. Though I think the other aspect is that it's very imaginative with its setting, which I liked.

I'm not a Pixar completist, by any means, though. I think I've seen maybe half of their films. Coco is the last one I've seen.

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yes. And no. 

I don't know if I would have made Toy Story 4...but I get the idea that Woody's Story wasn't 100% complete at the end of 3...

If all of the Toys had left with Bo...that would have been a total repudiation of 3...

Toy Story 3 ending (and most of the story) makes zero sense in context to the previous movies.  Woody is a unique toy, given to Andy (along with a few others) by his father on his deathbed - according to the creator of Toy Story 1 & 2 (who died before Toy Story 3).  His mom never would have suggested he donate them.  He never would have given them to some 4 year old girl he'd never met.  And even if some of his childhood toys weren't as important as his originals (like Buzz, Jesse, Bullseye, etc...), there is no way Andy would have given Woody away when he was going to take him to college.  And if that wasn't enough, after Bonnie basically begged Andy for Woody, she stops playing with him almost immediately and then eventually loses him. 

Toy Story 3 and 4 both have some great moments and tell fun stories inside the 2 hours of screen time, but in the context of what came before them, both basically ignored everything that happened in the first two movies.  Because of that I could never rank either of those higher than the originals.

I've never actually heard, or at least I have zero recollection, of the idea that Woody was a gift to Andy from his dad...all I usually see is the fan theory that Andy's mom was Jesse's owner originally...

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Same. I knew I'd missed a bunch, but didn't realize there were 19(?!) that I hadn't seen.

I will say that I thought the lowest ranked one that I've seen, A Bug's Life, was quite good. Though I may have some of it mixed up with Antz, which came out the same year.

And yes, Wall-E is incredible and by far my favorite of the ones I've seen.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Same. I knew I'd missed a bunch, but didn't realize there were 19(?!) that I hadn't seen.

I counted nine that I've seen from the list.  I still haven't seen Incredibles 2, but that's just due to laziness.  I've also determined I haven't seen Toy Story 4 outside of maybe watching some of it on cable a few months ago while I was watching football or something.  Probably seen bits of the Cars movies or the Monster movies like that on cable too, but never a whole movie.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I will say that I thought the lowest ranked one that I've seen, A Bug's Life, was quite good. Though I may have some of it mixed up with Antz, which came out the same year.

Heh, yep, I know I saw both when they came out and liked both, but definitely get them mixed up.  Reminds me of this awesome Office scene:

1 hour ago, Kalibuster said:

I personally dislike coco because of how fucked the guy leaving his family is.

I feel like he just went on tour -- which always implies you're coming back at some point, no? Otherwise it's not really a tour. Her anger at being "left alone" for some temporary period of time while her husband tried to better their lives pursuing a musical career struck me as being driven mostly by the belief he had actually permanently abandoned the family. But he was murdered just as he decided that he had had enough of the tour and wanted to return.

So, I don't know. Hard for a mother to care for a child without a husband? Sure. Hard for a loving father and husband to be parted from his family to try and make a better life for them all? Sure. Happens all the time down in Mexico. 

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There is a criticism of Turning Red that it was too personal and people who weren't asian teenage girls wouldn't relate. I'm not an asian teenage girl and I still liked it. Maybe I would have gotten more out of it if I was, but it worked just fine either way. Probably same with Coco, but actually the strength of the good Pixar movies is that their themes are universal, and shouldn't be targeting one demographic over others. On the whole I think they do a very good job.

That's honestly how I felt after watching Turning Red in comparison to other movies by Pixar, which is not to say it wasn't well-done, just less universal.

22 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've never actually heard, or at least I have zero recollection, of the idea that Woody was a gift to Andy from his dad...all I usually see is the fan theory that Andy's mom was Jesse's owner originally...

There is some speculation here, because it does come second hand from one of the original creator's friends after he ad died, and was refuted by the guy who made Toy Story 3 (probably because that story makes zero sense for the reasons I gave) - but there does seem to be evidence in the first two movies to support this. 

Basically, Andy is Andy Jr, his dad died and got one of the few (or the only) Woody dolls to ever get made, which is why it was so hard for Al to find it for his collection and why he could get 10x the amount once he had Woody in-hand.  On his deathbed he gave his toy chest to his son Andy, which included Potatohead and Slink, all toys made in the 50's.  Andy and Andy Jr look so similar and the toys have been packed away so long that they just think it's the same Andy.  They don't talk about Andy Sr because Andy was pretty young when he died, Molly wasn't born yet, and it's too painful for mom - which is why there is no mention of him.  This story was the basis for the first two movies and fits perfectly with those stories, especially 2, and why we don't hear about Andy's dad.

The third movie obviously throws this out, but with it also removes all explanation as to how Andy got this super rare doll, slink, or why nobody talks about their dad.  I do like Toy Story 3, but I think there are some major issues with the basic premise of the entire story, and the ending makes almost no sense whatsoever - and instead goes for the feelgood going away, that eventually leads to the splitting up of the gang in Toy Story 4 (which is clearly the worst of the 4, yet is still entertaining with some very funny scenes).

On a side note, the only one of these I haven't seen is Turning Red, so will be watching that w/ the wife this weekend :)

Archived