Ranking Pixar Movies article...

Jaxom 1974

For me it's basically:

1. Ratatouille
2. The rest

Pixar has never really done it for me, but I l loved Ratatouille.

The Incredibles actually kind of annoyed me and I far preferred Shrek 2 which came out around the same time.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

The third movie obviously throws this out, but with it also removes all explanation as to how Andy got this super rare doll, slink, or why nobody talks about their dad. 

I don't think 3's premise necessarily "throws this out" at all.  First, IIRC, at the beginning of the movie Andy is quite upset when he finds out his mom accidentally donated the toys - he planned on bringing Woody to college and leaving the rest in the attic.  More importantly, I don't see why Andy still couldn't have decided to donate the toys at the end even if they were given to him by his dad on his deathbed.  It's a nice scene where he shows Bonnie how to play with all of them.

What was Andy supposed to do with them?  Keep them as family heirlooms?  I suppose some people would want to keep them to give to their own kids, but some people frankly wouldn't.  I know I wouldn't, and certainly wouldn't when I was going off to college.  I mean, they're really old toys.

Now, the one problem still is that, yes, Woody seems to be worth a lot of money.  But that was made clear in 2, and I guess Andy just didn't care.  

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I only have one question. Why the hell did you watch Cars 3?

Because it's awesome?  I've seen it probably 50 times (kid wen through a big Cars phase for a while).  I think it's my favorite of the 3.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think 3's premise necessarily "throws this out" at all.  First, IIRC, at the beginning of the movie Andy is quite upset when he finds out his mom accidentally donated the toys - he planned on bringing Woody to college and leaving the rest in the attic.  More importantly, I don't see why Andy still couldn't have decided to donate the toys at the end even if they were given to him by his dad on his deathbed.  It's a nice scene where he shows Bonnie how to play with all of them.

What was Andy supposed to do with them?  Keep them as family heirlooms?  I suppose some people would want to keep them to give to their own kids, but some people frankly wouldn't.  I know I wouldn't, and certainly wouldn't when I was going off to college.  I mean, they're really old toys.

Now, the one problem still is that, yes, Woody seems to be worth a lot of money.  But that was made clear in 2, and I guess Andy just didn't care.  

It's a nice scene, I agree.  It just doesn't make a ton of sense that this would happen when a 17 year old boy brings a bunch of 50 year old toys to a 4 year old girl he's never met.  And you're right that he was upset when the toys were gone, and yet when we see him next after that scene he's found them and immediately wants to give them away?  What changed in Andy during those 24 hours that we don't get to see?  He's also going to keep Woody, but also just casually gives the toy he's had for 15 years and was going to take with him?

I kinda would expect him to keep at least some of them.  I still have some of my toys and all my legos from when I was a kid and pretty routinely play with them with my kids.  As his mom I would probably just keep them for him anyway, especially if they were my dead husband's childhood toys.  She does say in 2 that Woody is "an old family toy".  I definitely would expect it to be saved.

BTW, the reason I'm saying any of this is because I've seen Toy Story 3 so many times (100+) that my wife and I have frequent analysis discussions about concurrency problems.  We go through phases with all of these, the first is watching it, the second is really dissecting all the characters, the third is scene by scene analysis - which is where we currently are with Encanto as we approach 50 viewings there....

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I kinda would expect him to keep at least some of them.  I still have some of my toys and all my legos from when I was a kid and pretty routinely play with them with my kids.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was getting at.  Some people are like that - my brother certainly is and still has all his damn legos in a box in his room (even though he's almost certainly never going to have kids).  But some people, like myself, simply aren't.  The clutter I accumulate these days is just old notes, journal articles and textbooks.

I agree that Andy's change of heart is rather abrupt within the film, but, well, it's a kids movie.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Because it's awesome?  I've seen it probably 50 times (kid wen through a big Cars phase for a while).  I think it's my favorite of the 3.

You're throwing out some big numbers here. What's the net estimate total of the number of times you've had to watch these movies with your kids?

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I only have one question. Why the hell did you watch Cars 3?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're throwing out some big numbers here. What's the net estimate total of the number of times you've had to watch these movies with your kids?

Cars 3 isn't terrible.  I think I like it more than 2.

And you'll get yours, Ty, if you ever have kids...We watched the first one with Little Jax damn near 50 times.  There were days, when he was a toddler, that we'd watch Cars back to back to back.  He'd just want that on.  (Mind you, he also had his train phase so we'd be watching Polar Express in July back to back to back...)

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

And then there's Frozen, which jacks that addictiveness up exponentially and you'll have to watch it a billion trillion times. 

Ah, that's regular Disney, not Pixar!  (But point well taken...)

HOWEVER, Frozen is SOOOOOOOO 5 years ago.  It's all about Encanto now, dontchno...?

Is this a newer trend? Being born in the late 80's I don't recall my friends and I growing up watching Disney (and then Pixar) movies over and over again. I've got to believe it's the ease of access that's leading to this.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Is this a newer trend? Being born in the late 80's I don't recall my friends and I growing up watching Disney (and then Pixar) movies over and over again. I've got to believe it's the ease of access that's leading to this.

Holy crap really? Your childhood sucked.

I watched star wars so many times as a kid. In college people would watch little mermaid as a group, singing along in the common area every Wednesday. It's easier now, sure, but ever since Disney sold things on tape kids watched the same thing over and over 

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Holy crap really? Your childhood sucked.

I watched star wars so many times as a kid. In college people would watch little mermaid as a group, singing along in the common area every Wednesday. It's easier now, sure, but ever since Disney sold things on tape kids watched the same thing over and over 

Lol, I'd argue just the opposite. My parents didn't give a shit what I watched, except they oddly objected to me watching DBZ and The Simpsons after school, and most of my friend's parents didn't monitor what we were watching either. First R movie was Speed at 6 or 7 and probably had 20 R movies under my belt by the end of second grade. But sure, watching the same kiddy movie over and over again was so much better. :P

On Star Wars, I recall being about that age sitting in an empty room at a hospital while my mom was having some kind of checkup. The nurse who brought me there turned on a TV and left. When my mom was done and came to pick me up I asked her what was this. Her response was more or less, "Omg he hasn't seen Star Wars." We watched all three movies over the course of the next few days. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think kids watching things repeatedly is a new trend at all.  I recall my sister watched Bambi incessantly, and I think later Aladdin.  I have no memory of it, but my parents and brother love reminding me whenever they can that I was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh.  Not sure if that makes me innately anti or pro-China, but it's one of those. 

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think kids watching things repeatedly is a new trend at all.  I recall my sister watched Bambi incessantly, and I think later Aladdin.  I have no memory of it, but my parents and brother love reminding me whenever they can that I was obsessed with Winnie the Pooh.  Not sure if that makes me innately anti or pro-China, but it's one of those. 

I mean it's possible when like you said, I have no memory of it, that I watched things over and over again, but I have no memories of doing that after I was five or so. Could just be me or the fact that my parents would tell me to pick something else out because I had already seen it. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

but I have no memories of doing that after I was five or so.

Neither do I, but I thought that was around the age we were talking about.  How old was the kid in Big Daddy supposed to be?

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean it's possible when like you said, I have no memory of it, that I watched things over and over again, but I have no memories of doing that after I was five or so. Could just be me or the fact that my parents would tell me to pick something else out because I had already seen it. :dunno:

Without the streaming services, we had to watch 1) the limited offerings of broadcast TV (people with cable/satellite were popular as hell) or 2). the 25-50 VHS tapes from our personal library, with new additions gifts for birthdays or holidays.  The parents’ willingness to rewatch the movie has a lot to do with it - I cannot remember how many times I saw the Disney Robin Hood or the princess bride or the rankin bass hobbit.  At least as many times as my daughters have seen frozen (every week for 2 years) and encanto (every week since it’s been out).

Archived