Ukraine 11: Russian lies, guns, and money

Ser Scot A Ellison

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

As I said before, one of several million differences between this and 1939 is that Hitler was smart enough to give inventive-thinking generals free reign and come up with lots of ideas regarding logistics, preparation, resupply etc. Putin has very clearly not done that.

At the beginning of the war maybe, at least in the way he let the established Wehrmacht officer corps do its thing (so not sure whether you can give Hitler any props to that, he probably kept his distance at first in the same way in which he danced around Hindenburg's dislike towards the 'upstart private', so it was probably just a way to avert getting the military's ire straight away), but as the war went on he started to force himself into the decision-making process as an armchair general anyway and kept overruling them.

12 minutes ago, Toth said:

At the beginning of the war maybe, at least in the way he let the established Wehrmacht officer corps do its thing (so not sure whether you can give Hitler any props to that, he probably kept his distance at first in the same way in which he danced around Hindenburg's dislike towards the 'upstart private', so it was probably just a way to avert getting the military's ire straight away), but as the war went on he started to force himself into the decision-making process as an armchair general anyway and kept overruling them.

That's true. By the end of the war that had become disastrous.

Addendum to the theory that every genchat thread ends up being a US politics thread:

Every genchat thread ends up being a US politics thread or a WWII thread.

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That's true. By the end of the war that had become disastrous.

Again, I highly recommend Hitler's Empire by Mark Mazower, who covers all these matters in depth and greawt thoughtfulness. What worked, what did not, when it worked, when it did not, and why, for both Hitler and Stalin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/ukraine-braces-for-fresh-wave-of-attacks-as-russia-builds-forces-in-donbas

Given the numbers of Ukrainian planes shot down by Russian sources, that did make some wonder if the Russians were counting friendly fire as enemy kills, and given that a third or so of the Ukrainian Air Force seems to remain intact, that does imply that the Russians have shot down maybe more than a dozen of their own planes. Which you'd hope would be a ludicrous overestimation, but based on what we've seen so far, that doesn't seem too far fetched.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Given the numbers of Ukrainian planes shot down by Russian sources, that did make some wonder if the Russians were counting friendly fire as enemy kills, and given that a third or so of the Ukrainian Air Force seems to remain intact, that does imply that the Russians have shot down maybe more than a dozen of their own planes. Which you'd hope would be a ludicrous overestimation, but based on what we've seen so far, that doesn't seem too far fetched.

I've seen speculation that Ukrainians can use the captured Pantsir systems to basically hack into the Russian AA network, and change the IFF recognition of Russian planes to Ukrainian ones. This might be the cause of these friendly fire cases.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's borderline offensive to assume we'd work with subterrain dwelling lowlifes like @Myshkin who can't even get their silly downrising off the floor. We've got f'ing laser beams...in spaaace. Clearly we've brought the aliens in on this caper. 

You just fucking wait pal! The downrising will consume all you fat cat surface dwellers. We will stuff our bellies full of your bones, and then warm them in the sun, which will finally belong to us. 

It is rumored that the Chernobyl withdrawn Russian forces are being easily tracked with nightfall images. They are glowing like green effervescent blobs, visible even without satellite or night vision goggles they glow so brilliant.

It is rumored and known, I wouldn't lie.

Moving from Jewish Space Lizards named Ty.

One of the previous threads touched upon Russian (civil) Aviation. Now that they'Ve nationalized (asically stolen) those leased jets, does it fundamentally solve any problems for this sector posed by the sanctions. Not really.

He did a few videos on Russian sanctions and aviation. He knows his stuff about aviation. So if you have 15 minutes and you are interested in that particular topic, 15 minutes, well spent.

Now back to Jewish Space Lizards (if anybody has Mel Brooks number, I sense a potential Spaceballs sequel).

I'm genuinely impressed, what a super-ballsy move.

Apparently, Ukrainians have also been resupplying Mariupol by nightly helicopter flights, until one of the choppers got shot down last night.

26 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Huh.

To be honest, my first thought was "Oh please, not another Arma 3 video...", but now saw a regular news site say that the Russian governor of the area confirmed two injured and ordered some evacuations in the town.

Huh indeed...

The fact, that the Ukrainians could carry out this strike seriously makes me wonder about the Russian air defence. An oil facility, close to the border, important for fuel supplies I presume, apparently unsecured and taken by surprise. One would have thought that this close to the war zone, they would at least have two AA-tanks stationed there to provide some kind of air cover in shifts. After 4 weeks of war, someone must have realized that Ukraine still has aerial capabilities. But on the videos that are out there, I don't see any AA fire (maybe they didn't use tracer rounds?), nothing. Just a sitting duck by the looks of it.

2 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

The fact, that the Ukrainians could carry out this strike seriously makes me wonder about the Russian air defence. An oil facility, close to the border, important for fuel supplies I presume, apparently unsecured and taken by surprise. One would have thought that this close to the war zone, they would at least have two AA-tanks stationed there to provide some kind of air cover in shifts. After 4 weeks of war, someone must have realized that Ukraine still has aerial capabilities. But on the videos that are out there, I don't see any AA fire (maybe they didn't use tracer rounds?), nothing. Just a sitting duck by the looks of it.

If what Gorn said earlier has any truth to it, or even if it doesn't have any truth to it but the rumour breaking has forced the Russians to consider that it might, there could potentially be hesitation among Russian AA pieces to fire on anything till they clear things up, especially in areas where they absolutely aren't expecting any Ukranian aircraft. 

25 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

News like the successful Ukraine strikes in Russia makes me dream of Putin surrendering to Zelensky. Wouldn't that be the sweetest turn of events?

...on the ruins of Kremlin, got to dream big :D

Archived