Ukraine 11: Russian lies, guns, and money

Ser Scot A Ellison

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Saying that is very easy.  If Russia starts flooding the world with video’s of dead Russian civilians… that’s harder to maintain.

That’s too bad.  Ukraine is very obviously the victim of aggression, here, just as the USSR was in WWII.

Another climbdown today with Russia pointing out that the payments for gas after the turnaround in rules today are not due until late April, so gas supplies won't be terminated immediately.

That’s too bad.  Ukraine is very obviously the victim of aggression, here, just as the USSR was in WWII.

The USSR was both the instigator of aggression and its recipient in WWII. The USSR did invade both Finland and Poland without due cause earlier in the war.  It is of course fair that Russia was justified in sweeping the Nazis out of Eastern Europe, invading Nazi territory and taking Berlin, but it's not possible to argue they were justified in killing millions of civilians in the process and occupying most of Eastern Europe after the war, even countries that did not actually attack them like Bulgaria.

21 minutes ago, broken one said:

When it happens Ukrainians, who now imo deliberately underestimate number of their dead civilians, which I believe is several times higher than the official thousand something, may start flooding with their own videos, pictures and stories.

Then it looks like tit for tat.  To be clear I’m not saying a Ukrainian offensive into Russia isn’t justified.  I’m simply saying, politically, it is dangerous for Ukraine to take such action.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Ukraine is very obviously the victim of aggression, here, just as the USSR was in WWII.

USSR was coresponsible for outbreak of the conflict, consciously collaborated with nazi Germany in preparations and benefited from it, so it is far from "obviously".

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I agree.  But that’s not my point.  

Ukraine has masterfully controlled the media narrative so far.  It will be difficult to continue to do that if the Russians can show dead civilians due to Ukrainian attacks.  That doesn’t mean Ukraine is wrong to fight back.  It simply means it… could… cause Ukraine problems internationally.

1 minute ago, broken one said:

USSR was coresponsible for outbreak of the conflict, consciously collaborated with nazi Germany in preparations and benefited from it, so it is far from "obviously".

To clarify, yes the Soviets did collaborate with the Nazis from 1939-41.  But, once the Germans attacked them, they were plainly in the right, and the Germans plainly in the wrong, regardless of the level of civilian casualties on either side. 

In the case of this conflict, Russia would still be in the wrong, even if they took pains to avoid civilian deaths (which they don't).

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

To clarify, yes the Soviets did collaborate with the Nazis from 1939-41.  But, once the Germans attacked them, they were plainly in the right, and the Germans plainly in the wrong, regardless of the level of civilian casualties on either side. 

Eh?

The Soviets had a free hand to kill anyone in their way, military or not, as they invaded Eastern Europe in fighting the Wehrmacht?  They… couldn’t… commit war crimes during that counter-invasion?

I’m asking for clarification purposes only.  

I'll clarify my position that the USSR was very clearly not justified in the war crimes it undertook in reprisal against the Nazi invasion of their territory, especially when those crimes were directed against civilians and people from completely different countries. The USSR's moral high ground at the end of the war is not particularly convincing (not necessarily that the other Allies' were after terror bombings and nuclear attacks, but there was a difference in how the other Allies treated liberated and captured territory).

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ukraine is now officially denying that they attacked Belgorod

I don't really read it as an official "we didn't do it" denial, more like "you reap what you've sown, we're still the defender here".

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Eh?

The Soviets had a free hand to kill anyone in their way, military or not, as they invaded Eastern Europe in fighting the Wehrmacht?  They… couldn’t… commit war crimes during that counter-invasion?

I’m asking for clarification purposes only.  

I'm distinguishing between just cause and right conduct.

the Soviets (and Western allies) plainly had just cause in the fight against the Nazis.  That does not justify everything that the Soviets and Western allies did in the conduct of that war. Conversely, atrocities against civilians don't render a cause unjust.

Even in terms of conduct, however, there was no Allied equivalent of the Holocaust or Generalplan Ost.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ukraine is now officially denying that they attacked Belgorod

If I were the Ukrainians, I wouldn't admit to it either.  Much better to let people think the Russians are being devious as usual, or at least incompetent - just another industrial accident - rather than disclose you've found weak spots in the Russian air defenses and two of your helicopters were able to sneak through. 

A little weird for a false flag operation, though.  Given the logistical issues the Russians have experienced, blowing up 16,000 cubic metres of your own petroleum at an important depot relatively close to the front to discredit your enemy seems a bit off.

Archived