Ukraine 11: Russian lies, guns, and money

Ser Scot A Ellison

Some reports that Russian forces might be withdrawing from Chernobyl. They abandoned the nearby dormitory town for workers there last week, apparently being driven out by a concerted series of protests and agreeing to withdraw after a check there were no Ukrainian forces nearby. Now it sounds like some forces have packed up and left the facility itself.

US intelligence has apparently picked up from a source that reports from the front lines are not reaching the Kremlin, or are being spun on their way to the Kremlin. They note this is disconcerting and unhelpful to the peace process, since the Russian leadership might not really know how bad things are on the ground for their forces.

Great story here about a busload of refugees from Mariupol who were evacuated to Russia against their will. They waited until the bus stopped somewhere with no police or soldiers around, and then basically stormed off the bus, paid for transportation to St. Petersburg and then escaped to Tallinn. They'd been told they were being sent to a remote town in Russia where "they were needed for work."

32 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They'd been told they were being sent to a remote town in Russia where "they were needed for work."

Shades of both WWII Stalin and Hitler.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

And no, it’s not a tactical alliance of the current regimes based on their being the attention seeking, rebellious misfits in the EU class room (no offense). It goes back, historically and culturally, we have centuries old rhymes and sayings about it.

Interesting context to the Hungarian elections on Sunday.  This shows how much I know but when Putin launched his invasion, I thought this would reflect badly on Orban (given his positive relationship with Putin).  But apparently, his lukewarm support of NATO/Ukraine plays well there as "appropriately balanced"?  So he has turned a narrow deficit in the polls into a narrow lead over the last 2 months.  Another thing to thank Putin for.

Now, Orban has a lot of advantages in Hungary.  And the opposition is an eclectic mix of parties who mainly agree on only one thing (they hate Orban), so they are somewhat vulnerable.

Still, I can safely say I am disappointed with the direction of things.  Another win for Putin, even if has bigger challenges right now.  And I could easily be missing many shades of nuance regarding Hungary.

If people want to read a very negative view on what is going on in Hungary, try this link.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/30/hungary-s-election-may-spark-the-next-crisis-for-the-eu-view

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

We do keep in mind though, the author is a 'conservative' jerkwaddie.

Bret Stephens is a neoconservative jerkwaddie, as well as a major league douchebag.  Which is why it's very begrudging to say that his argument isn't actually a terrible one.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Also if people want to read a very negative view of what is really going on with Putin and his war in the east: "What if Putin Didn’t Miscalculate?"

We do keep in mind though, the author is a 'conservative' jerkwaddie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/opinion/ukraine-war-putin.html

Sure, it was always Putin's goal to become the most hated man on the planet, make Russia more sanctioned than North Korea, have Germany change 77 years of military policy to re-arm again, have NATO more united than it has been since the end of  the Cold War, make Zelensky a global icon and possibly the most popular person on Earth right now, have the Russian army be humiliated repeatedly, see Biden and Macron increase their popularity and their chances of beating far-right candidates in the next elections, have Poland and even to a lesser extent Hungary and Kazakhstan fall out of it's orbit of influence, see Finland and Sweden seriously consider ending neutrality to join NATO, have Nordstream 2 be cancelled and most countries that are supplied with Russian gas making deals to get it from elsewhere, and that's just from the top of my head.

Also clear evidence of Putin's goal to have a long war are that many Russian soldiers had provisions for only 3-4 days, but had victory parade uniforms, as well as the leaked 3 days after the war victory manifesto celebrating the union of Russia, Belarus and "Little Russia". And I'm sure that seeing how losing 12.000 soldiers in 10 years in Afghanistan was a big factor in the fall of the Soviet Union, Putin thought it was a wonderful idea to have even more in one month of combat. 

Surely, some things that happened have upsides for Putin, and he'll try to refocus the war, but this speech of "it was Putin's plan all along" is just a far-right attempt to justify their hard-on for him for all these years.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The crazy thread stuff happened while I was at work :(.

How do you feel about Fauci's bioweapons labs in the Ukraine? Please, express yourself. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Bret Stephens is a neoconservative jerkwaddie, as well as a major league douchebag.  Which is why it's very begrudging to say that his argument isn't actually a terrible one.

Skin like wet tissue paper too. Isn't he the one that had a massive public meltdown on Twitter a few years ago because someone called him a bedbug lol

4 minutes ago, Week said:

How do you feel about Fauci's bioweapons labs in the Ukraine? Please, express yourself. 

You don't know how deep it goes. I discovered while doing my own research that years ago Fauci played an intracule role in plotting and executing the plan to hide artificial fossils all over the planet to trick and convince people that "dinosaurs" are real.

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

Skin like wet tissue paper too. Isn't he the one that had a massive public meltdown on Twitter a few years ago because someone called him a bedbug lol

Yup.

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/27/20834957/bret-stephens-bedbug-meltdown-dave-karpf-new-york-times-explained

We can rest easy though, he doesn't have it in him to walk up on stage and slap the professor.

8 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yup.

ETA - :ph34r:'d.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You don't know how deep it goes. I discovered while doing my own research that years ago Fauci played an intracule role in plotting and executing the plan to hide artificial fossils all over the planet to trick and convince people that "dinosaurs" are real.

Obvi. You think for yourself.

Well...the US hiding bio-labs of some sort in the Ukraine is...something worthy of further investigation. After all, the US did stash 'suspected terrorists' and others in overseas prisons, and I seem to remember a program intended to relocate nukes from dangerous to less dangerous places, so there is precedent of sorts. Not saying it's likely, or that said installations were for creating bio-weapons if they existed, but worthy of looking into.

12 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

In the previous thread someone suggested the Hungarian Polish friendship would be done in by the war, and that it was a tactical regime alliance rather than a friendship. The answer is yes, it has been, already. And no, it’s not a tactical alliance of the current regimes based on their being the attention seeking, rebellious misfits in the EU class room (no offense). It goes back, historically and culturally, we have centuries old rhymes and sayings about it. Hungarians aren’t great at expressing emotion, but Poland always had a special place in our hearts. As if the war itself hasn’t been heartbreak enough, it’s sad to see a divide between Poland and Hungary, albeit understandable. We love you, Poland, regardless of regimes past, present and future, or the EU. 

I explained what kind of "friendship" I was referring to. Polish government propaganda is pumping "the old rhymes" on a scale which makes entrails turn, while the real contents behind it today is derailing EU punitive moves against both states and letting V.O. play us out like children for his sole interest. There's also tangible brotherhood in football hooliganism, the English have experienced it during world cup qualifiers.

Since the very beginning of the crisis Morawiecki (alias Pinocchio) has been pretending it is all well and V.O. is in solidary with the rest, but recently it has become impossible to play fool.

Kaczynski is not "rebellious misfit" but micro-Putin-wannabe, sorrounded by bunch of fanatics and army of cynical careerists, supported by old people who watch only public tv and are fed with bullshit comparable to bullshit Russian public tv sells to Russians. The fact that, unlike V.O., Kaczynski chose not to like Russia is just a lucky coincidence. IMO this guy is doing harm to Poland and his allies are not in my good graces.

I am grateful to Hungary that in 1920 it let the trains with weapons for Poland pass (shame V.O. is not doing the same for Ukraine now), did not let Germans pass in 1939 and helped our superbrave government and generals escape west. I am also grateful to Hungarian soldiers, who during WW2 pretended not to see Polish partisans in western Ukraine (while Polish partisans pretended they do not see the Hungarian soldiers). Yes. Actually you reminded me of this, thank you <3 .

You should not have burned my town to the ground in 1657 though!

10 hours ago, Padraig said:

Interesting context to the Hungarian elections on Sunday.  This shows how much I know but when Putin launched his invasion, I thought this would reflect badly on Orban (given his positive relationship with Putin).  But apparently, his lukewarm support of NATO/Ukraine plays well there as "appropriately balanced"?  So he has turned a narrow deficit in the polls into a narrow lead over the last 2 months.  Another thing to thank Putin for.

Now, Orban has a lot of advantages in Hungary.  And the opposition is an eclectic mix of parties who mainly agree on only one thing (they hate Orban), so they are somewhat vulnerable.

Still, I can safely say I am disappointed with the direction of things.  Another win for Putin, even if has bigger challenges right now.  And I could easily be missing many shades of nuance regarding Hungary.

If people want to read a very negative view on what is going on in Hungary, try this link.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/30/hungary-s-election-may-spark-the-next-crisis-for-the-eu-view

““Lukewarm support” of NATO/Ukraine”the amount of thoughts and feelings I have about this… Anyway. As virtually anything in Hungary, the war divided opinions to the extreme. No this doesn’t mean that anybody in Hungary supports Russia in this conflict (as much as mainstream western media or even Russian propaganda would like to insinuate). But yes, party politics did manage to turn a general agreement into a stark divide to use it as leverage in the upcoming elections. Yes both parties are equally guilty of this tasteless tactic. I won’t get into detailed musings about election prospects because it’s entirely off topic and boring to 99% of posters here. But yes, the reason why the war yielded a tiny bit of lead to the governing party is that swing voters value peace more than they dislike Viktor Orban. But I doubt this will be the deciding factor in the elections. 

oh my :lol: that’s indeed a very negative, at times inaccurate article, and with a rather skewed and dramatic narrative. 

Archived