House of the Dragon Premieres August 21, 2022

Westeros

A dragon egg on the verge of hatching accompanies the announcement from HBO that House of the Dragon will premiere on August 21st of this year. Along with the poster, HBO has also sent out eight new images featuring a variety of characters from the series, that you can see below.

With a ten episode run, that means it’ll end on October 23rd… just two days prior to the release of The Rise of the Dragon. Interesting timing, that… For more on this informational art book that very much ties in to the events covered by House of the Dragon, see here.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/HotD_Egg-Teaser.jpg

View the full article

34 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Oh yes Martin is trying to make big bucks from this tv show.

Hey, us too!

(Though really it's Random House that sets the schedule, and Random House that originated the book. But seems obvious now that they knew approximately what date was going to be announced.)

I'm actually interested to check the show out. A lot more room to maneuver, I think, even though they will likely have to make choices about which accounts of certain events were true.

I take it the release of the one book is an indication that we shouldn't expect any other books this year?

31 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I take it the release of the one book is an indication that we shouldn't expect any other books this year?

Not this year, besides a re-release of F&B with a House of the Dragon tie-in cover in July, IIRC.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Very nice! Between the teaser and the promo images, it looks like Rhaenyra is going to be portrayed as forlorn/tragic, Alicent as neurotic, and Otto as menacing. That’s certainly the vibe I’ve gotten so far. 

The depiction of Otto strikes me as completely unimpressive.

Also, the Valyrian colors are a joke. Viserys I doesn't seem to have a platinum-blonde stubble. Why bother with those silly wigs when you don't do it convincingly?

I mean, why not go with a clean-shaven character then? And, you know, you do can also dye eyebrows while you are at.

But then - they don't care about the purple eyes either, so why assume they would care about the hair?

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The depiction of Otto strikes me as completely unimpressive.

Also, the Valyrian colors are a joke. Viserys I doesn't seem to have a platinum-blonde stubble. Why bother with those silly wigs when you don't do it convincingly?

I mean, why not go with a clean-shaven character then? And, you know, you do can also dye eyebrows while you are at.

But then - they don't care about the purple eyes either, so why assume they would care about the hair?

It is a little strange that they gave Corlys platinum blond hair but kept the natural texture. It’s like they were going to go Valyrian with him, then got nervous and backtracked. Just give him the elf wig. 

7 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It is a little strange that they gave Corlys platinum blond hair but kept the natural texture. It’s like they were going to go Valyrian with him, then got nervous and backtracked. Just give him the elf wig. 

The black Valyrians are silly as well, of course. Still no idea why they didn't go with black Hightowers or black Strongs.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

The black Valyrians are silly as well, of course. Still no idea why they didn't go with black Hightowers or black Strongs.

is it much of a big deal? silver hair and purple eyes and godly beauty don't exist and they haven't exactly adapted any of them ( except for weird wigs with dark eyebrow!) . so what's the difference if texture or skin color differ ? 

also, black Strongs wouldn't have worked since it would have been too obvious that Rhaenyra's kids are bastards ,unless both Velaryons and Strongs were black. ( at least in the books boys' brown hair could come from Arryn / Baratheon ancestry) . but black Hightowers could actually work both in book and show universes. 

21 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Maybe it's just me, but I expected the Targaryens to look... more beautiful, I guess. Aren't Valyrians supposed to look absolutely ethereal? Ironically, the most beautiful out of the core characters seems to be Alicent.

Rhaenys's wrong look bothers a bit me as well as that .

I agree that Alicent is the prettiest. They seem to be channeling Anne Boleyn with her.

To be honest, I like the way Rhaenyra looks. She has kind of an ethereal look to her. Cate Blanchett isn’t the most beautiful woman out there, but her similarly ethereal appearance in LOTR had its own beauty to it too. With no disrespect to the actress, I’d argue the wig/makeup gave her quite the glow up.

You know what HOTD is missing? Hot redheads. GOT had loads of hot redheads. It’s not Westeros without them.

Good news, your grace: the HBO website has been updated to confirm castings from Rhaenyra and Alicent's children. All of them match the leaks we've been getting since October:

• Aegon II Targaryen - Tom Glynn-Carney
  • Aemond Targaryen - Ewan Mitchell
  • Helaena Targaryen - Phia Saban
  • Jacaerys Velaryon - Harry Collett
  • Baela Targaryen - Bethany Antonia
  • Rhaena Targaryen - Phoebe Campbell

https://www.hbo.com/house-of-the-dragon/cast-and-characters

Odd that they didn't mention Elliott Grihoult as Luke Velaryon...because we've seen him in the same very clear spy photos standing next to Harry Collett! :)

Note that they didn't mention Daeron the Daring; rumor is that he's not in Season 1 but he'll be treated much like Stannis in Game of Thrones Season 1 - they'll establish that he exists in dialogue but not lock in the casting until he actually needs to appear in Season 2 ( because he's away "squiring in Oldtown" with the Hightowers). 

Rumor is also that Rhaenyra's younger three sons (Joff, Aegon III, Viserys II) and Aegon II's children have also been cast, but they're just played by babies and toddlers so even if we knew the actors' names they wouldn't be of significance to us. 

We also know from spy videos that young versions of Rhaenyra and Alicent's children will appear...for all of about two episodes, apparently episodes 6 and 7. 

Still, these are major casting confirmations.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

...I actually thought it was a good idea. It helps differentiate the "capital" Valyrians (Targaryen) from the "colonial" Valyrians (Velaryon) out on the fringes of their empire. Driftmark was to the capital of Valyria as Barbados was to London.

9 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

...I actually thought it was a good idea. It helps differentiate the "capital" Valyrians (Targaryen) from the "colonial" Valyrians (Velaryon) out on the fringes of their empire. Driftmark was to the capital of Valyria as Barbados was to London.

I know you have come up with your ideas why that's not exactly a bad call but I don't really agree. The Hightowers could have worked much better as the rulers of a huge harbor city very much involved in international trade. The same with the Strongs. The Velaryons as black Valyrians is just weird as hell.

A black Corlys would have actually worked better as a Summer Islander prince winning the heart of a Targaryen princess because of his great voyages and accomplishments. But now we basically have him as the same character ... he just looks different.

We could have also had that for the Hightowers or the Strongs or Criston Cole. I mean, you know very well that we still have no idea how George thought Alicent or Otto Hightower looked like.

By the way - what is it with those promo material. Corlys has the largest navy in the world? Right. And the YiTish and Qartheen and Braavosi are beggars. And richer like the Lannisters is a joke in the show universe. They just pretend to have money.

Thinking about it - please don't show us the show version of Casterly Rock ever again unless you completely change it to make it look better.

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

is it much of a big deal? silver hair and purple eyes and godly beauty don't exist and they haven't exactly adapted any of them ( except for weird wigs with dark eyebrow!) . so what's the difference if texture or skin color differ ? 

I just couldn't buy that Emilia Clarke was supposed to be a blonde in GoT, and that was because the make-up was sloppy. And they never cared about the eyes.

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

also, black Strongs wouldn't have worked since it would have been too obvious that Rhaenyra's kids are bastards ,unless both Velaryons and Strongs were black. ( at least in the books boys' brown hair could come from Arryn / Baratheon ancestry) . but black Hightowers could actually work both in book and show universes.

Oh, but if the idea actually is that the boys all look exactly like Harwin Strong - meaning that Harwin Strong was actually brown-eyed, brown-haired, and pug-nosed - then the boys being brown-skinned and the world ignoring that because Viserys I overlooked it could have been exactly the same thing. In fact, it may have even worked better.

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Oh, but if the idea actually is that the boys all look exactly like Harwin Strong - meaning that Harwin Strong was actually brown-eyed, brown-haired, and pug-nosed - then the boys being brown-skinned and the world ignoring that because Viserys I overlooked it could have been exactly the same thing. In fact, it may have even worked better.

but the boys' bastardy wasn't a common knowledge at the time. we don't know what people like Cregan Stark or Jeyne Arryn who lived far away from the court thought about hair color of Velaryon princes and their similarity to dead heir of Harrenhall . a completely different skin tone on the other hand , would make it clear that they are not fathered by a white man . also , their looks must be confusing enough for Green sympathizers like Eustace to deny rumors about Harwin and Rhaenyra's relationship .

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

but the boys' bastardy wasn't a common knowledge at the time. we don't know what people like Cregan Stark or Jeyne Arryn who lived far away from the court thought about hair color of Velaryon princes and their similarity to dead heir of Harrenhall . a completely different skin tone on the other hand , would make it clear that they are not fathered by a white man . also , their looks must be confusing enough for Green sympathizers like Eustace to deny rumors about Harwin and Rhaenyra's relationship .

It was much later it dawned on me how obvious it was, hence Viserys threatening to rip off tongues, and going through with it. Besides the King's support, Rhaenyra had the Velaryons who were essentially the 2nd family of the realm backing her (why I have no clue). By the time Joff is born Alicent's children were still very young, and Rhaenyra had all of the adult dragonriders on her side. There wasn't anyone who could really challenge her, which is why she acted some would say carelessly.  

Edit: I heard someone describe it as gaslighting on Viserys and Rhaenyra's part and its pretty spot on imo. 

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

How long is it normally between when they release promo pics and the trailer drops? 

I'm guessing the first official trailer drops sometime in June and the final one in late July or early August. 

Archived