House of the Dragon Premieres August 21, 2022

Westeros

6 hours ago, EggBlue said:

is it much of a big deal? silver hair and purple eyes and godly beauty don't exist and they haven't exactly adapted any of them ( except for weird wigs with dark eyebrow!) . so what's the difference if texture or skin color differ ? 

I agree it's not a big deal. I understand for some book readers it's jarring, but the grand scheme is whatever. I also happen to think Corlys looks badass. I may be in the minority on that.  

12 minutes ago, Sotan said:

It was much later it dawned on me how obvious it was, hence Viserys threatening to rip off tongues, and going through with it. Besides the King's support, Rhaenyra had the Velaryons who were essentially the 2nd family of the realm backing her (why I have no clue). By the time Joff is born Alicent's children were still very young, and Rhaenyra had all of the adult dragonriders on her side. There wasn't anyone who could really challenge her, which is why she acted some would say carelessly.  

Edit: I heard someone describe it as gaslighting on Viserys and Rhaenyra's part and its pretty spot on imo. 

I think the Velaryons blamed Laenor for not impregnating Rhaenyra and figured that at least their family would still rise in power, even if the boys were technically someone else’s.

13 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think the Velaryons blamed Laenor for not impregnating Rhaenyra and figured that at least their family would still rise in power, even if the boys were technically someone else’s.

Since F&B is not a novel in the traditional sense it's fun and then frustrating not knowing why Laenor did what he did. And why Corlys went along with it. Was he that desperate to have his blood on the IT through his great-grandchildren? Even if it meant the end of his male line ruling Driftmark? I hope the show gives a compelling answer. 

8 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Maybe it's just me, but I expected the Targaryens to look... more beautiful, I guess. Aren't Valyrians supposed to look absolutely ethereal? Ironically, the most beautiful out of the core characters is Alicent.

I couldnt agree more. I think it was the actress that plays the younger version of alicent. When I first saw the cast, the first thing to catch my mind was how shes way better looking than the other Targaryen actresses. 

5 hours ago, Sotan said:

Since F&B is not a novel in the traditional sense it's fun and then frustrating not knowing why Laenor did what he did. And why Corlys went along with it. Was he that desperate to have his blood on the IT through his great-grandchildren? Even if it meant the end of his male line ruling Driftmark? I hope the show gives a compelling answer. 

my impression was that Laenor and Rhaenyra had a sort of arrangement . maybe he had enough self-awareness to know he can't close his eyes and think of the realm! he clearly saw the boys as his own in any case; why else would he be at his wife's side as she goes into labor and want to remember his lost love by naming his "son" Joffrey ? as for Rhaenys and Corlys , they probably didn't see any other option .and with Baella marrying Jace , they would have eventually had their blood on the throne as well as Velaryon name and all the influence with being Crown's in laws . I hope show focuses on these character motivations more .

5 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

I couldnt agree more. I think it was the actress that plays the younger version of alicent. When I first saw the cast, the first thing to catch my mind was how shes way better looking than the other Targaryen actresses. 

at least young Rhaenyra was good. the bigger problem is Targaryen men . Viserys is just horrible , why couldn't they give him a close shave ? and Daemon ... as much as I think Matt Smith has the talent to bring Rogue Prince to life , he doesn't have the looks.. it would have been better , though , if his wig didn't look so unnatural .   

6 hours ago, Sotan said:

I'm guessing the first official trailer drops sometime in June and the final one in late July or early August. 

I agree with you. The San Diego Comic Con is scheduled for the 21-24 July this year, a month ahead from the premiere. That's a really good time for HBO to release the final trailer. As for the first trailer, I guess it all depends on how much of the CGI will already been done by May or June.

If Laenor had no legitimate or illegitimate children running around, I'm more inclined to think he wasn't able to have children than that he refused to. It just makes no sense in this world for the heir to Driftmark and future king consort to flat out refuse to even try to do one of his most basic duties, no matter their sexual orientation. But if he is incapable, he will never produce an heir for any seat no matter how hard he tries, and Corlys will have no grandson through him on any throne. The interesting question would then be if the Velaryons knew and withheld that information until after the wedding night.

15 hours ago, EggBlue said:

but the boys' bastardy wasn't a common knowledge at the time. we don't know what people like Cregan Stark or Jeyne Arryn who lived far away from the court thought about hair color of Velaryon princes and their similarity to dead heir of Harrenhall . a completely different skin tone on the other hand , would make it clear that they are not fathered by a white man . also , their looks must be confusing enough for Green sympathizers like Eustace to deny rumors about Harwin and Rhaenyra's relationship .

Oh, I don't know. I didn't say Rhaenyra's boys would have to have particularly dark skin, no? In such scenario they could have cast actors who could have some indication that one of their parents or other ancestors may have been black but not necessarily actors were this was obvious.

In context we should also keep in mind that the 'Strong boys story' is just something the Greens talk about - the Blacks or the people who join the Blacks during the war thanks to diplomatic overtures never raise the issue. We have no idea what Jeyne Arryn or Cregan Stark or the Black Reach and Riverlords thought about the true parentage of Rhaenyra's elder sons.

They could have believed that they were Harwin's boys and still declare for Rhaenyra - like lots of people during the War of the Five Kings may believe Cersei's children are not Robert's but still fight for 'King Joffrey' or 'King Tommen'.

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

If Laenor had no legitimate or illegitimate children running around, I'm more inclined to think he wasn't able to have children than that he refused to. It just makes no sense in this world for the heir to Driftmark and future king consort to flat out refuse to even try to do one of his most basic duties, no matter their sexual orientation. But if he is incapable, he will never produce an heir for any seat no matter how hard he tries, and Corlys will have no grandson through him on any throne. The interesting question would then be if the Velaryons knew and withheld that information until after the wedding night.

Well, there are rumors that Laenor fathered two bastards, no?

But it is a clear misconception of feudal and aristocratic duties to assume that folks in arranged marriages always try to have children - especially not in a scenario where husband and wife loathe each other. They are free to and have the right to not care about that stuff ... and it only gets problematic if there is no clear heir in sight.

In the main series we have that with Stannis and Selyse. They desperately need a male heir - or at least a healthy heir who is presentable and can be expected to live long enough to succeed Stannis if he were to live another thirty or forty years - yet they make no attempt at all to have more children, much to Selyse's chagrin.

Daemon and Rhea also seem to have never properly tried to have children, never mind that both should have felt a need to have heirs. We know Daemon wanted sons, and Rhea should also have had the desire to have sons or daughters to succeed her ... but apparently that wasn't enough for them to live together or have sexual intercourse. Jeyne Arryn even refused to marry, turning herself into a maiden ruler and setting up a succession war. Not to mention Aerys I and Aelinor lack of children, etc.

For Rhaenyra and Laenor we know that Rhaenyra didn't want to marry Laenor. We know that Laenor may have preferred boys/men to women as companions and sex partners. We also know that Crison Cole turned their wedding into a tragedy, something Laenor may have blamed Rhaenyra for (causing them to subsequently not live together).

This is certainly a setting where the spouses may have agreed to never have sexual intercourse and to ensure the continuation of their dynasty through other means. Laenor clearly had no problem with Rhaenyra's sons - he acknowledged them as his and even wanted to name them after his late friend, Joffrey Lonmouth.

We should also not pretend that it was crystal clear that the future prince or king consort of Westeros would also succeed his father as Lord of Driftmark. Jacaerys Velaryon as Rhaenyra's heir was not expected to also succeed to Driftmark as Laenor's heir and Myriah Martell didn't succeed her father as Princess of Dorne despite the fact that she was his eldest child. Not to mention that Doran Martell expected Arianne to not succeed him as Princess of Dorne, either, should she marry Viserys III Targaryen as he planned.

We’re all book fans, but how excited are your normie family and friends for this show?

I sent my dad the teaser trailer when it was first released and he didn’t even watch it lol (although I’m sure he’ll still watch the show). There are so many shows on so many platforms now, that they all kind of blend together. That’s one big difference since GOT ended—HBO is no longer the “top dog.” I’d argue that Netflix and Disney+ have both surpassed it in popularity.

Yeah no one I know that has watched GOT is aware of this new tv show. Their all too focused on the new marvel stuff and Netflix.

Their has been a sudden spike of tv shows, and the multiple platforms isnt really helping the marketability of tv shows.

There’s a term for this, but there are so many options that most of the time I end up not watching anything.

I will say this though: I recently started watching ACS: Impeachment, and Linda Tripp (her TV portrayal, not the real person) is one of the most well-written anti-heroes I’ve ever seen on television. Get the screenwriter from that show to write for GOT (and cast Sarah Paulson while you’re at it). 

31 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Yeah no one I know that has watched GOT is aware of this new tv show. Their all too focused on the new marvel stuff and Netflix.

Their has been a sudden spike of tv shows, and the multiple platforms isnt really helping the marketability of tv shows.

Although the marketing for HotD hasn't started in earnest yet.

2 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Although the marketing for HotD hasn't started in earnest yet.

That is very true. They’ll spend lots of money on the marketing to make sure they get the word across that GOT is back (sort of).

And btw wasnt their a House of the dragon advert during the super bowl?

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There’s a term for this, but there are so many options that most of the time I end up not watching anything.

I will say this though: I recently started watching ACS: Impeachment, and Linda Tripp (her TV portrayal, not the real person) is one of the most well-written anti-heroes I’ve ever seen on television. Get the screenwriter from that show to write for GOT (and cast Sarah Paulson while you’re at it). 

I see all these tv shows that come out with some good IMDb ratings but I still ignore them due to the sheer number of them. Just cant be bothered to watch a couple episodes and realise this isnt for me.

I watched the first 2 episodes of Loki but dropped it pretty quick. And never touched any other marvel tv show.

Breaking bad is my all time favourite tv show. The character ark is just a master piece. How he goes from a reserved good man to a ruthless meth cook that is willing to do anything for his ambitions.

Archived