House of the Dragon Premieres August 21, 2022

Westeros

57 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

We’re all book fans, but how excited are your normie family and friends for this show?

none at all . a lot of my friends were show fans, yet, absolutely none of them seem to care about this show . my sister ( the one who literally made me watch the GoT when I dismissed it after a few of episodes as "too much sex, too little content") thinks I am mad for keep reading and re-reading the books; let alone waiting for the prequel show! 

19 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Note that they didn't mention Daeron the Daring; rumor is that he's not in Season 1 but he'll be treated much like Stannis in Game of Thrones Season 1 - they'll establish that he exists in dialogue but not lock in the casting until he actually needs to appear in Season 2 ( because he's away "squiring in Oldtown" with the Hightowers). 

Rumor is also that Rhaenyra's younger three sons (Joff, Aegon III, Viserys II) and Aegon II's children have also been cast, but they're just played by babies and toddlers so even if we knew the actors' names they wouldn't be of significance to us. 

If they were to actually cut folks from the family tree I'd be immensely pissed. The younger children don't need to play a big role in the first season, but they have to be there in some fashion - either by being mentioned or simply by being *there* in the background.

Once they play larger roles they can easily enough be recast, especially if the characters are older.

And while it is great to see that Laena's twins are there they better do not mess around with Aegon III and Viserys II.

If there is one thing I’m pleased to see, it’s people online talking about how they love FnB. I think FnB is super underrated, so I’m happy to see it get more love. Seeing as they’re about to print a third edition of it with a HOTD cover (the second had additional artwork) and then Rise of the Dragon, I’m guessing it did manage pretty solid book sales. I also remember a blog post from George talking about how happy he was with the reception a few weeks after it was first published.

I think HBO is already trying to do damage control for HOTD though. I looked at the announcement on Twitter and usually there’s a “see more replies” button where all the negative comments are hidden, but they were all suspiciously missing this time. Makes me think whoever runs the account was deleting a lot of comments.

I think I’m more interested in seeing how HOTD is received than in the show itself lol. 

10 hours ago, EggBlue said:

none at all . a lot of my friends were show fans, yet, absolutely none of them seem to care about this show . my sister ( the one who literally made me watch the GoT when I dismissed it after a few of episodes as "too much sex, too little content") thinks I am mad for keep reading and re-reading the books; let alone waiting for the prequel show! 

It's funny, I showed the teaser to my family who were big fans of GOT, and all I got was silence. Not bad mouthing GOT, just zero interest. It may change, but that was a chilly reception. 

18 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

If they were to actually cut folks from the family tree I'd be immensely pissed. The younger children don't need to play a big role in the first season, but they have to be there in some fashion - either by being mentioned or simply by being *there* in the background.

Once they play larger roles they can easily enough be recast, especially if the characters are older.

And while it is great to see that Laena's twins are there they better do not mess around with Aegon III and Viserys II.

Rumor is they haven’t cut a single child. Even Joffrey is around he just doesn’t do much 

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Rumor is they haven’t cut a single child. Even Joffrey is around he just doesn’t do much 

Joff is the only prince I think they could have cut, but even that isn't necessary and shouldn't be done.

44 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

They’ll probably up Joffrey’s role after Luke’s death, that way they can save money on paying the actors.

They could do that, but they don't really have to. The character they should focus on is Aegon III.

Although I certainly think Joffrey should get due prominence as the new Heir Apparent and Prince of Dragonstone after Jace's death. But all depends how old the character will be at that time. They could make the Dance last as long as the wars in GoT did.

18 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If there is one thing I’m pleased to see, it’s people online talking about how they love FnB. I think FnB is super underrated, so I’m happy to see it get more love. Seeing as they’re about to print a third edition of it with a HOTD cover (the second had additional artwork) and then Rise of the Dragon, I’m guessing it did manage pretty solid book sales. I also remember a blog post from George talking about how happy he was with the reception a few weeks after it was first published.

I think HBO is already trying to do damage control for HOTD though. I looked at the announcement on Twitter and usually there’s a “see more replies” button where all the negative comments are hidden, but they were all suspiciously missing this time. Makes me think whoever runs the account was deleting a lot of comments.

I think I’m more interested in seeing how HOTD is received than in the show itself lol. 

The potential for a good story is definitely there, but I think the writing of dialogue is what's going to make or break the show. 

What we can read about Princess Rhaenys in the promo material seems to imply she will be a character who is pissed about being passed over for her sex ... resulting in her becoming a fervent supporter of Rhaenyra's claim because she doesn't want to see another woman cheated out of her right to the throne.

I'd imagine that Rhaenys and Rhaenyra will be presented as being close allies in this regard even before the Laenor match is arranged.

Hopefully we are going to get some meta-humor or meta-commentary of the ridiculousness of the setting. Say, have a drunken Daemon or Laenor point out that they are actually an inbred family who are also known to practice polygamy occasionally ... so there are unconventional orgy ways to ensure that there is no succession war.

That kind of thing would be especially appropriate if we get Daemon seducing Rhaenyra once years before her first marriage.

If they do include Mushroom in some manner, they could give such lines to him.

22 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

They can’t really cut Daeron because for most of the story he and Aemond are the only Greens who ride dragons.

Of course not, but it was always odd that they didn't mention him for the first season.

22 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I wonder if they’re going to try to make Aegon a lovable loser or if they’ll just make him completely unappealing like he is in the books. 

If they focus on his childhood and youth and give him some depth we could see him trying to please his father and/or Viserys I having some hopes that the boy could play some role in his government and the future of the dynasty ... only for him to fail at that. He could get some training sessions with Blackfyre only to reveal that his far to clumsy to ever be a great warrior. His feelings for Rhaenyra could also be more complex - let's say they start with him looking up to her because she actually looked after him in his early childhood and so he tries to win her love and respect, only for him to start to loathe her because she constantly ignores and mocks him because that is a way she can hurt Alicent.

A great scene there could be Aegon summoning up his courage during some feast or audience to ask his father for permission to marry Rhaenyra since he thinks he would make/wants to be a dutiful and worthy prince consort and expected that he, as Rhaenyra's brother, was the first choice for her husband in light of the traditional marriage policies of the family.

If something like that went badly, with Rhaenyra being there and ridiculing Aegon for even suggesting such a match, the audience could certainly develop some sympathy for Aegon.

And Aegon's substance abuse is also something they could play up. He could struggle with alcoholism, for instance, even before his crippling injuries, because of the constant pressure he gets from his mother and grandfather and Criston Cole on the one hand, and his own desire to please a father who doesn't care much about him.

In general, it might also make sense to have Daemon act like a cruel bully towards Alicent's children when he is at court. We do have hints that his relations with Alicent were cool even cooler with her sons, and that's certainly something the show could depict. If Aegon has reason to fear his uncle Daemon that certainly could explain why he ends up doing what he does.

Apparently the premiere for HOTD is only about two weeks before The Rings of Power. Maybe it doesn’t matter much since I’m pretty sure Amazon and HBO release on different days, but this strikes me as an odd decision. GOT was huge, yes, but not as big as LOTR (just look at the difference in views for the teaser trailers). Even if HOTD were to somehow “beat” TROP, a lot of them he buzz/news coverage would get swallowed up in the competition. I’m not sure what HBO is thinking here.*

*Although it would be hilarious if they did it hoping that the fanboy backlash for TROP overshadowed the fanboy backlash to GOT :lmao:

17 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

(just look at the difference in views for the teaser trailers)

HBO just plopped their teaser out there with no fanfare. Amazon did a massive, full-court media blitz, including bringing it out during the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

HBO just plopped their teaser out there with no fanfare. Amazon did a massive, full-court media blitz, including bringing it out during the Super Bowl.

I know, but the HOTD teaser has also been out for twice as long as the TROP teaser. It has surely accumulated more views in that time. 

But either way, I still think it was a weird decision.

I think any competition will be media generated. The most they can compare is the quality of the two shows. Many people myself included will watch both. Amazon also has 200M subscribers worldwide while HBO Max has like 70M, ROP will get more eyeballs. 

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Which strategy worked better?

Impossible to tell until the shows premiere and we can see comparable metrics of actual performance.

8 hours ago, Sotan said:

I think any competition will be media generated. The most they can compare is the quality of the two shows. Many people myself included will watch both. Amazon also has 200M subscribers worldwide while HBO Max has like 70M, ROP will get more eyeballs. 

I agree, that’s why I think it’s such a weird decision. A show this expensive needs tons of media buzz. I can understand if the CGI wouldn’t be ready before August, but why not push it back to, say, November then?

1 minute ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This guy kind of sums up what I’m feeling, in that I’m becoming increasingly interested in how HOTD will be received:

I was just about to post this myself! :D

Yeah, he is saying that if HotD fails, it could damage GRRM's whole brand. I'm not particularly interested in HotD, but I don't want that to happen.

Archived