House of the Dragon Premieres August 21, 2022

Westeros

If they are indeed going with a Blacks good, Greens bad tone, I’d find that annoying. I think the point of the whole Dance (and the Anarchy it’s based on) was that both sides had lots of good and bad actions with good and bad motivations and that the ‘winners writing the history books’ is why one side ends up getting portrayed historically as the worse of the two. 

As to the black actors playing Velaryons, I think most of the problems with that are ones certain fans/readers bring with them to this kind of discussion to begin with. I don’t see why it’s much different from all the hair/eye/height changes from book to screen we saw in GOT. Where were Charles Dance’s mutton chops? Why is short Davos taller than tall Stannis, who is much taller than much taller Renly? Why does Flea Bottom Davos have a much different accent (Irish) than most Flea Bottom (~ cockney) characters? Etc. Oh, because the actors they chose were naturally built that way and it’s pretty silly to get that caught up in minor details like this when it comes to translating fantasy fiction to RL actors?

Admittedly some of those caused minor backlashes, but nowhere near as much or as emotionally charged as this one seems to be. Again, I think a lot of the people who complain so much about this one are bringing a lot of that with them to the discussion. 

@James Arryn I really hope they don't turn into Blacks good/Greens bad situation. Daemon alone is a piece of work before he becomes a child murderer. 

As for the Velaryons, I think you're right it will be book readers bringing their own feelings into it. For the majority of viewers who are non-readers, Velaryons will be black. Its not like the show has ever delved into Targaryen and Valyrian lore, its sort of a mystery box that the writers can play with. I know that sounds like nails on a chalkboard to certain book-readers, but I stopped being precious about lore when it comes to adaptations a long time ago. Just go on the ride, if you're not enjoying get off. AKA come in with low expectations. 

Black Velaryons does introduce racial elements that the show may or may not delve into. It looks like the Velaryons are the only black/poc noble family in an all white Westeros, they're also Valyrian which makes them even more foreign. Is their obvious difference something the show will explore? Even if its from the perspective of how they personally feel about it; or will it not be brought up at all? Something that can't be avoided is Rhaenyra attempting to steal the inheritance of the only black noble family in Westeros for her white son. Even if race isn't brought up in the show, THAT will be a major discussion point. I really hope they keep the Silent Five storyline, it already makes Rhaenyra look terrible, this just adds another layer. 

On 4/24/2022 at 1:39 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Did Rhaenyra ever kill anyone with her dragon? I don’t even recall her fighting in battle.

She never went into battle with her dragon, which was such a waste. She did feed Vaemond Velaryon to Syrax, but I think Daemon may have killed him first. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 11:57 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

We’re all book fans, but how excited are your normie family and friends for this show?

They aren't.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:47 PM, The Young Maester said:

I watched the first 2 episodes of Loki but dropped it pretty quick. And never touched any other marvel tv show.

Wandavision is worth the watch. It's, hands down, the best Marvel TV show outside of Netflix's Daredevil and Jessica Jones

4 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

They aren’t.

That’s the weird thing. I keep hearing that HOTD is racking up numbers online, etc., but I don’t know anyone in real life who’s interested in this show. Even the Reddit community for it is pretty small (and also kind of crazy, if we’re being honest). I wonder if it’s just all the Targ stan accounts that keep it in circulation.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That’s the weird thing. I keep hearing that HOTD is racking up numbers online, etc., but I don’t know anyone in real life who’s interested in this show. Even the Reddit community for it is pretty small (and also kind of crazy, if we’re being honest). I wonder if it’s just all the Targ stan accounts that keep it in circulation.

To be fair to HBO, my normie friends and family do know about it.

But they are not excited. Particularly in light of the way that they treated Daenerys. I can't blame them. Who really wants to see a story about the Targaryen family nearly destroying itself in a civil war when it only ends with the one of the last two Targaryens left betraying and murdering the other n the silliest, most anti-climatic way possible?

Wait until they get to the ending of HoTD

I keep hearing that HOTD is getting more online traffic than TROP, and I’m wondering what they’re seeing that I’m not. There are new videos on YouTube every day complaining about TROP. I’ve been trying to find more HOTD videos to watch because it’s better than nothing, and the results have been bare.

Parrot Media and Google Trends both show more organic social interaction and search traffic related to HotD than LotR.

I suspect the lack of videos complaining about HotD is because most people are mostly happy with what has been revealed so far, but because so little is revealed there's not much really positive to say yet, either. The fact that there's a lot of videos complaining about the LotR series is not actually a good thing...

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Parrot Media and Google Trends both show more organic social interaction and search traffic related to HotD than LotR.

I suspect the lack of videos complaining about HotD is because most people are mostly happy with what has been revealed so far, but because so little is revealed there's not much really positive to say yet, either. The fact that there's a lot of videos complaining about the LotR series is not actually a good thing...

If you believe all publicity is good publicity then it is. All of those people are going to watch the show, just like how all the Freefolk people will watch HOTD and all the Star Wars haters watched Kenobi. 

We arguably know more about HOTD than TROP because they’re following a written story, whereas we don’t really know what they’re doing with the LOTR lore at this point. But I’ve only seen a few videos about the former. (Of course, there are other things to consider, like the demographics for YouTube and how well it matches the target audience for HOTD).

I’ve seen all the data for HOTD’s online traffic, I just haven’t seen many people actually talking about it beyond us.

Archived