Atlanta

RumHam

Just started the third episode and this show really deserves its own thread. I love it. It's has such a weird borderline magical vibe.

The season premier was great:

Spoiler

I read about the real life events that inspired it when it happened, and then forgot all about it. Now because of that episode I don't think I'll ever forget about that story. That's probably messed up, but it's the truth. 

Episode 4:

Spoiler

I was not expecting them to do that (a dream?) again this season. Another great episode though. Like a horror movie for well off white people. The kid running after his car like Robert Patrick's terminator was a nice touch. I always thought of reparations as something that should come from the state. Like in Watchmen (the series.) 

I have no idea what to make of "white earnest" who was also one of the guys in the boat in the premier. 

This show is really on a roll.

On 4/5/2022 at 7:40 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I watched this video the other day. I stopped watching Atlanta just cos I didn’t have access to it and I lost interest, but it is a really great show that just exists in its own world.

I didn’t even notice how surreal and odd it was until there was Black Justin Bieber and it was just a thing 

• 1 month later...

That last episode was really amusing. Such a weird show but I love it. "maybe it's security bread..."

I do wonder if maybe they should have made a new anthology show (Blacker Mirror?) instead of dedicating almost half the season to those other stories.

Just started this and I'm not sure whether I'm liking it so far. In the first two episodes I missed the humor really, even though the Teddy Perkins/Get Out vibes are on point. 

It also doesn't help that it really went for a very outdated view of Dutch culture in that second episode: 

Spoiler

The phenomenon of Zwarte Piet has a rather complex history. Its earliest incarnation definitely predates racism as we know it today, but the tradition was unfortunately appropriated and turned into something undoubtedly racist (truly a blackface Zwarte Piet) as colonization got going in earnest. If this show was ten years older it would have been a timely wake up call about this profoundly wrong tradition.

The thing is however, that the Netherlands already has their reckoning with it. There were massive debates and fights over the figure of Zwarte Piet. In the beginning many people were unwilling to see how racism had corrupted the original tradition, because they had grown up with the racist iteration of Zwarte Piet.

Slowly but surely however, the trend has been to make Zwarte Piet more inclusive. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a full-on blackface Zwarte Piet in Amsterdam nowadays as the majority of people have now gone back to a more traditional chimney sweep Zwarte Piet.

11 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Just started this and I'm not sure whether I'm liking it so far. In the first two episodes I missed the humor really, even though the Teddy Perkins/Get Out vibes are on point. 

It also doesn't help that it really went for a very outdated view of Dutch culture in that second episode: 

Reveal hidden contents

The phenomenon of Zwarte Piet has a rather complex history. Its earliest incarnation definitely predates racism as we know it today, but the tradition was unfortunately appropriated and turned into something undoubtedly racist (truly a blackface Zwarte Piet) as colonization got going in earnest. If this show was ten years older it would have been a timely wake up call about this profoundly wrong tradition.

The thing is however, that the Netherlands already has their reckoning with it. There were massive debates and fights over the figure of Zwarte Piet. In the beginning many people were unwilling to see how racism had corrupted the original tradition, because they had grown up with the racist iteration of Zwarte Piet.

Slowly but surely however, the trend has been to make Zwarte Piet more inclusive. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a full-on blackface Zwarte Piet in Amsterdam nowadays as the majority of people have now gone back to a more traditional chimney sweep Zwarte Piet.

That's good to know. I don't want to spoil future episodes but given how untethered the show has become from reality I think this is excusable.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

That's good to know. I don't want to spoil future episodes but given how untethered the show has become from reality I think this is excusable.

I heard that they switched around almost every other episodes between the main characters and the real ones. Not sure whether I like it really. It is strange to say but I actually liked the first two episodes (barring the Zwarte Piet conundrum) on their own terms, but I'm not so sure about them as the third season of Atlanta if that makes sense?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got around to watching season four these past three days. What an amazing show, I will miss it. I thought the season premier was especially good. 

They kinda lost me with the Goofy movie documentary. At the same time though I do think it's amazing that they made one of their final episodes a fake documentary about the making of A Goofy Movie.

"It was all just Darius's sensory deprivation dream" makes a lot of sense. I've seen people call the ending ambiguous but is it really given the title of the finale?

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

They kinda lost me with the Goofy movie documentary. At the same time though I do think it's amazing that they made one of their final episodes a fake documentary about the making of A Goofy Movie.

I haven't seen the finale yet but the Goofy episode gutted me a little. Maybe it was because I had a few years in that industry without getting to the creative level. Fortunately I immediately followed it up with the next episode, and Paperboy is a work of fucking art. The episode of him out in hicksville, replete with confederate bullshit, ignoring his phone and slaving over a broke down tractor with wild pigs roaming around. Just. Honestly. I'm really going to miss this show. 

Archived