NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

While I'm sure that Lebron will meddle on whatever team he's on, I think that it is possible to hold that meddling in check if the organization is prepared.  It's not like a 40 year old Lebron could just threaten to sit out or sign somewhere else the way he could when he's in his prime.  I think Lebron still has the ability to be option 1 on offense for a championship team, so long as there are other guys who can create effectively without the ball and good team defense.  If, for example, MIddleton and the Bucks couldn't work out a deal, I think slotting Lebron in for him would be a championship squad. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm just saying it's probably not that appealing unless you're a bad team that needs to get asses in the seats.

Meh, it's not like it costs anything.  Pretty easy sop for any team to grant LeBron.  And assuming Bronny will be a fringe player, it's actually quite similar to the only extant comparison - the Griffeys.  The Reds released Griffey Sr. midseason and the Mariners picked him up because, hey, why the hell not?

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

While I'm sure that Lebron will meddle on whatever team he's on, I think that it is possible to hold that meddling in check if the organization is prepared.  It's not like a 40 year old Lebron could just threaten to sit out or sign somewhere else the way he could when he's in his prime.  I think Lebron still has the ability to be option 1 on offense for a championship team, so long as there are other guys who can create effectively without the ball and good team defense.  If, for example, MIddleton and the Bucks couldn't work out a deal, I think slotting Lebron in for him would be a championship squad. 

You put LeBron on the Cavs and I think they're an instant title contender, and I think that's the team he's most likely to go to if he leaves LA for obvious reasons.  I don't think he wants to play for a fourth team in his career.  The Cavs are home and have a roster full of young, ascending players, plus all their own draft picks after this year (and this year too if they lose the play-in, as their 1st they sent for LeVert is lottery protected).

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm just saying it's probably not that appealing unless you're a bad team that needs to get asses in the seats.

No. Is LeBron at 40 still worth max money? No. But someone will take bronny to see if LeBron will come at a much lower salary. Damn near every team will try. I would predict if bronny is actual trash but LeBron floats that he wil take mid-level or less bronny will be lottery pick. 

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

No. Is LeBron at 40 still worth max money? No. But someone will take bronny to see if LeBron will come at a much lower salary. Damn near every team will try. I would predict if bronny is actual trash but LeBron floats that he wil take mid-level or less bronny will be lottery pick. 

If LeBron would come on the cheap of course you do it. I'm just not sure he'd do that. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

You put LeBron on the Cavs and I think they're an instant title contender, and I think that's the team he's most likely to go to if he leaves LA for obvious reasons.  I don't think he wants to play for a fourth team in his career.  The Cavs are home and have a roster full of young, ascending players, plus all their own draft picks after this year (and this year too if they lose the play-in, as their 1st they sent for LeVert is lottery protected).

The Cavs with LeBron probably are at the top of the East. The problem is on any given night he's still a top five player, but LeBron the indestructible superhero is done. You can't rely on him to finish a season anymore. 

6 hours ago, briantw said:

What would the Lakers take though? Two first round picks and Kevin Love? Sexton? Is that acceptable for the Cavs?

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I was sort of rooting for the T-wolves but Pat Bev gets under even my skin.

Don't like Beverly either, but thought that the Zubac's missing the rebound and smacking Beverly in the head should have been a flagrant. Unless it was and I missed it.

6 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Don't like Beverly either, but thought that the Zubac's missing the rebound and smacking Beverly in the head should have been a flagrant. Unless it was and I missed it.

That was actually fairly marginal. 

PG committed his first offensive foul. I'm glad the guys laughed about how he's done that several times tonight. Such BS

KAT definitely had some dumb fouls there, though, Tywin. I'm rootin for your guys despite Pat Beverly being a terribly irritating person. I have nothing whatsoever against Paul George - I even like his game. For whatever reason I've always rooted against his teams, though. 

Minnesota losing the game from the foul line, though. Can't be shooting under 65% and expect to get far. Still, hey, they're in it. Love the sound of a postseason (But not playoffs! Coughs) crowd.

2 minutes later edit -

Love this comeback after KAT fouled out. The crowd is into it. Edwards is a bulldog and Russell can hit a 3 from anywhere. Awesome

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

@Nictarion I'm not crying, you're crying!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck this stupid team. This is the second time we're in the playoffs since I was a god damn underclassmen in high school! But holy shit was that an unexpected comeback.

And I hope you all got to see why I'd take Ant over Cade or Ball.

Thank god we avoided the Suns. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

@Nictarion I'm not crying, you're crying!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck this stupid team. This is the second time we're in the playoffs since I was a god damn underclassmen in high school! But holy shit was that an unexpected comeback.

And I hope you all got to see why I'd take Ant over Cade or Ball.

Thank god we avoided the Suns. 

*me wondering why I was tagged in an NBA thread… :lol:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/1X7lCRp8iE0yrdZvwd/200.gif

Paul George tests positive for COVID, will miss the play-in game vs New Orleans.  Either one of those teams is going to get absolutely wrecked by the Suns.  But now it looks like it will probably be the Pelicans. 

I'll be rooting for the Pelicans. Even if they get destroyed by the Suns, it's good experience for their younger players (particularly Ingram) though tough for Zion not getting any action. I'm also happy for CJ that he gets to go a little farther than the Blazers this year, even if it's a first round exit.

2 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I'll be rooting for the Pelicans. Even if they get destroyed by the Suns, it's good experience for their younger players (particularly Ingram) though tough for Zion not getting any action. I'm also happy for CJ that he gets to go a little farther than the Blazers this year, even if it's a first round exit.

:lol:

My memory might be faulty, but last year it was all about how the Blazers including McCollum failed Lillard and he deserved better than them and should demand a trade.

Bummer about George. The Clippers have been playing without him for most of the season though, wouldn't count them out yet.

Archived