NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

I'm pretty bummed out that I missed the Nets/Celts drama for Easter dinner at the parents, and am now home to watch the Bulls being absolutely, relentlessly outclassed on every matchup against the Bucks. 

It's bizarre how completely different this roster looked in winter vs spring. 

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm pretty bummed out that I missed the Nets/Celts drama for Easter dinner at the parents, and am now home to watch the Bulls being absolutely, relentlessly outclassed on every matchup against the Bucks. 

It's bizarre how completely different this roster looked in winter vs spring. 

Cue The Undertaker sitting up.

The Celtics-Nets game 1 result is interesting.  On the one hand, if you're Brooklyn there are some good signs.  Durant isn't going to shoot that poorly the whole series.  The defense was better than the regular season (still not good, but better).  The Celtics required a game winning layup at home.

But Boston is up 1-0, and the Nets margin for error isn't great.  If they are gonna steal one in Boston, was that it?  The Celtics defense was very good, and Kyrie made a lot of contested shots, which aren't always gonna be falling. 

Looks like a good series we have brewing. 

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Celtics-Nets game 1 result is interesting.  On the one hand, if you're Brooklyn there are some good signs.  Durant isn't going to shoot that poorly the whole series.  The defense was better than the regular season (still not good, but better).  The Celtics required a game winning layup at home.

But Boston is up 1-0, and the Nets margin for error isn't great.  If they are gonna steal one in Boston, was that it?  The Celtics defense was very good, and Kyrie made a lot of contested shots, which aren't always gonna be falling. 

Looks like a good series we have brewing. 

That's why they need BS back. It might take a while to feel it with the ball in hand, but defensively, if match fit, he should be able to get his defensive game up to speed. And what ever else he is, he is a perennial DPOY candidate. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's why they need BS back. It might take a while to feel it with the ball in hand, but defensively, if match fit, he should be able to get his defensive game up to speed. And what ever else he is, he is a perennial DPOY candidate. 

Back? He's never been on the court. You can't just put him in the rotation during the playoffs without having any time to practice with the team, and that's assuming he's healthy. 

10 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't see any way that Simmons is gonna be ready for playoff basketball after taking an entire year off and playing with totally new teammates.  If he is physically ready (and I don't think he is) I suppose they could experiment putting him in the second unit and giving him 10 minutes a game to see how he does.  But there's a real chance that his defense is gonna be really shaky for the first few weeks and it's virtually certain his offense will be horrendous.  He is very likely to be a net negative, even compared to other bench guys, at least for a little while. 

The only way it would make sense to bring him back at this point is if the Nets are confident they're going on a deep run and need him for the ECF and Finals.  If that's the case, then you could give him 5-10 minutes this series, 10-15 minutes next series and hope that by next month he's a net positive.  But that's super long term thinking, when the Nets are in survival mode against a talented Boston squad. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

In no other sport does it take that long to get up to speed. Also the question is if he's better than the alternative, not if he's as good as he was. 

No. It's dicey for the Clippers to think they could have brought Kawhi back and he knows the system. Simmons doesn't. He's not going to even be able to execute defensive sets and switches. 

Again, he has not even practiced 5 on 5 with the team in a meaningful way. Sure he's better than a lot of their rotational players, but he's also going to be running around blind out there.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

In no other sport does it take that long to get up to speed.

I don't think it does, especially on the defensive end.  Obviously it can take a good amount of time to develop chemistry on offense, but an elite veteran should be able to contribute on D and the boards pretty immediately.  Regardless, according to the reporting, it sounds like right now they're still just trying to get him healthy:

Simmons was "still on his individual program" Saturday, according to Brooklyn coach Steve Nash, who said he believes contact practices are the next step.

"I would presume," Nash said. "That's not my job as far as the rehab and all that, but clearly to play in an NBA game you got to have some contact and play the game a little bit."

I know Denver is missing some people, but GSW is absolutely embarassing them thus far.  Jokic does not look like an MVP and the Warriors have a ton of options.  If Curry gets all the way healthy, they are gonna be a real threat. 

Almost went to last night’s Warriors game but am opting for an elimination game or the 2nd round with Memphis or Minnesota. Denver may still be able to take 1 at home but Warriors looking really good for the series. Poole has stepped up immensely, playing better than Wiggins and allay. Interestingly, Kuminga (and Moody and Toscano) hasn’t played either game until 2 or 3 minutes left in garbage time. 

Jokic is going to punch somebody before the series is over. 

As a coach managing multiple top-drawer NBA players, Kerr is doing an amazing job of both extracting good team basketball from them and managing their egos in a transition from one "set" of players to a younger set on the team.

Jesus, six minutes in and there's been 13 fouls and two flagrants. This is a joke. The refs are making this unwatchable. 

ETA: Yeesh, if the Googles are right, prior to tonight the season high for fouls in a quarter was 18, which oddly happened just two days ago. This game had 20 in the first with two FFs. And it's not like the two teams are clubbing each other. Most of them have been really minor touch fouls. 

Archived