NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

Yeah that was a fun game. Klay 5/19 FG and 2/11 from 3. Curry not so great either (11/25 FG and 3/11 from 3). No bueno.

Edit: In hindsight, kind of impressed the game was that close with those stats.

16 hours ago, David Selig said:

Doc Rivers again showing that he's the most overrated coach in the league by far by starting the corpse of Deandre Jordan and insisting that he'll continue to do it.

Yeah, terrible once again. I have to think the Sixers will ditch him after this season, after the inevitable series loss to Miami.

Glad to hear that every talking head agrees with a take I gave...six months ago. You cannot max out Harden and the Nets were smart to ditch him. Simmons didn't play, but they still got out from having to resign him will getting two firsts and Curry.

Yup.

Difficult situation for both teams but perhaps the Sixers situation is easier to fix.

Harden does not deserve another huge max deal, you simply cannot do that now that you see how he's many been playing and you'd be paying him max money until he's around 37. Its clearly going to be a terrible deal to do that. On the other hand they just gave up assets for him and want to keep him. So they have to try and get him on a smaller, more reasonable deal.

The Nets on the other hand....really feels like Durant is now stuck with a completely unreliable Kyrie and Ben Simmons on a max deal that they cannot get out of. Their hope has to be that they can revise the roster this summer while they will have to keep Kyrie and Simmons. If I was Durant I would quietly think about asking for a trade.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Difficult situation for both teams but perhaps the Sixers situation is easier to fix.

Idk about that. The Sixers are in a bad spot. Their roster is super thin, their star always seems to get hurt, they're screwed either way with Harden and their ability to reload doesn't exist. The Nets situation isn't much better, especially with KD's window closing, but they have more cap flexibility. They may have to let Kyrie walk for nothing, but if Simmons can come back, you can build something around those two, Curry and another possible All-Star. 

When I think of 2023 championship threats none of Brooklyn, Philly or LA seems likely. They've made a mess of the term "reload".

All is very well in the NBA imo. Time for fresh creme to rise to the top as the old guard fades.

Saw ESPN put a 2023 mock draft out and apparently the next year will be the Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes.  He's listed at 7'2", 229 lbs, and looks a lot like Chet Holmgren but better and taller.  Here's video of them playing each other last summer.

This Sharpe that Kentucky has had stashed for a season has a 49 inch vertical. A big guard with a 7 ft wingspan and a lot of scouts drooling over his ceiling. 

Might be a great fit next to Cade if the Big 3 are already off the board, a lot of people are pushing to take him 4-7, some even in the top 3.

Personally I'm solid with Chet/Banchero/Jabari but if they are gone I'd shoot for the high ceiling gamble on Sharpe at 4.

Can't wait for the 17th to find the lottery order!

See the Bucks were able to slow Tatum just enough to pull off a 2 point game 3 win.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This Sharpe that Kentucky has had stashed for a season has a 49 inch vertical. A big guard with a 7 ft wingspan and a lot of scouts drooling over his ceiling. 

Might be a great fit next to Cade if the Big 3 are already off the board, a lot of people are pushing to take him 4-7, some even in the top 3.

Personally I'm solid with Chet/Banchero/Jabari but if they are gone I'd shoot for the high ceiling gamble on Sharpe at 4.

See the Bucks were able to slow Tatum just enough to pull off a 2 point game 3 win.

Yeah.  That’s a sore subject for a lot of UK fans… :lol: 

Gotta agree Rhom, I can't recall a similar type "none and done" situation where the kid just uses a slot and then bounces without even playing for the team, wth?

Certainly appears that's what is happening though.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Gotta agree Rhom, I can't recall a similar type "none and done" situation where the kid just uses a slot and then bounces without even playing for the team, wth?

Certainly appears that's what is happening though.

There are fans convinced that Cal “lied” somehow when he said that Sharpe was going to play next year or that he should have “forced” him to play when injuries started to pile up in February on all of our guards.

With the benefit of hindsight; here’s what looks like happened.  Basically, this kid’s handler is the same guy who made the connection between UK and Jamal Murray/Shai Gilgeous-Alexander.  He was enrolled in high school and even played in some HS games in November.  Then his family decides he gains nothing by competing against overmatched Canadian teenagers.  Handler contacts Cal and says Shaedon wants to enroll early, practice with the team, and play next year.  At that time it looked like he would’ve be eligible for the draft because he didn’t finish HS until December or some such.  

At the time, Cal said publicly he probably wouldn’t play him but that they’d take a wait and see.  Lot of catching up to do.  Will do what’s best for the kid.  Blah blah blah.  After the season it came out that UKs compliance had some concerns about his eligibility since he went to one of those Christian HS basketball academies or something.  UK was rolling in late December and January.  Beat eventual runner up UNC by 30 and eventual champ Kansas (at their place) by 20.  Didn’t look like they needed him.  Sharpe is practicing and is on the sideline in uniform for games. Cal says teasing things like “Get to the game early and watch him dunk in warm ups.”  Meanwhile, it later comes out that all along his handler is telling NBA guys they are working to get him eligible for May.

Injuries strike.  TyTy Washington turns his ankle.  Sahvir Wheeler his wrist.  Kellen Grady has plantar fasciitis.  Cal goes to Sharpe and asks if he wants to play.  Kid and his family say they want to play.  Handler shuts it down and says he isn’t playing; but that he still wants to play next year.  Cal publicly says he’s talked with Sharpe and family and they all agree that it’s best for him to wait and that he’s excited to come back next year and lead the team.

Season ends with a huge upset.  Team is a shell of its Dec/Jan self.  Turns out there’s a mystery diploma dates in May 2021. Sharpe is declared eligible.

Queue the pitchforks and torches.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Idk about that. The Sixers are in a bad spot. Their roster is super thin, their star always seems to get hurt, they're screwed either way with Harden and their ability to reload doesn't exist. The Nets situation isn't much better, especially with KD's window closing, but they have more cap flexibility. They may have to let Kyrie walk for nothing, but if Simmons can come back, you can build something around those two, Curry and another possible All-Star. 

Well, whether or not KD's window is closing is something we will find out of a full next season next year, I am hopeful he is still at his peak ( but admittedly a bit biased as he's been my favorite player for a long time). I dont think the Nets will dare to let Kyrie go, very little chance of that. They will hope for Simmons to actually play and to really revise the roster. Drummond is gone apparently and I dont see then re-signing Griffin or LMA. Also not sure if they want Dragic and Mills around but maybe on small deals.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

He does look very good in those highlights.

2 more Shaedon plusses imo, he's Canadian so we know he probably hasn't grown around a bunch of bangers. Also his daddy was an NFL player so he has the Athletics gene and grooming from day one.

Dude doesn't turn 19 till the end of this month, lot to be excited about with his ceiling and Detroit really, really needs a elite level guard to pair with Cade. Killian is strictly a off the bench level player, not worthless, but not your A-1 level copilot like we need to get back to playoff basketball.

Archived