NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

7 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I didn't stutter, background affiliation is hugely important with prospects.

They got a negatively influencing posse already I'm passing.

The assumption you're making is funny. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The assumption you're making is funny. 

The assumption I'm making is I'm comfortable with the son of another pro athlete being from uber friendly Ontario, being pretty decent. It's like the midwest, driving distance from London to Detroit for his family. 

All considerations for "fit" of a 19 year old on your roster. We cannot afford another Darko pick. There's no way in hell this, or any, lottery picks background isn't combed over with these stakes.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you're not rooting for Boston and Memphis tonight, you're a terrorist who hates basketball. 

Why would I be rooting for Boston, a city that has won two lifetimes worth of championships in the past twenty years?  Against a likeable Bucks team that is playing without their second best player?

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why would I be rooting for Boston, a city that has won two lifetimes worth of championships in the past twenty years?  Against a likeable Bucks team that is playing without their second best player?

To have all four series tied 2-2!!! Each matchup is really interesting, this is living up to the cliché that the second round is the best round of the playoffs and I want as many games as possible.

I am surprised that the Mavs and Sixers were able to get back to 2-2.  I still fully expect the Suns to win, but I expected they would split in Dallas so they could finish things up in 5.  Dallas shot absolutely ridiculously last night.

The Sixers are relying on Embiid being the best player in the series and Harden being at least at an all-star level.  They got that in game 4, but Harden has been hit or miss all year.  If they get 3 more games of good Harden, then they could very realistically win this series.  The Heat have a lot of talent, but the only guy really stepping up is Butler, and that's not enough.  They need to tighten up and at least make Harden work on both ends, so that he starts falling back into bad habits. 

I expect the Heat will take it, but I'm less confident about them than the Suns. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you're not rooting for Boston and Memphis tonight, you're a terrorist who hates basketball. 

People who root against Boston are freedom fighters, not terrorists.

I get the no Boston love, but I've set mine aside this post season to root for their style of play and the D mentality they bring.

Past aside there's a underdog/dark horse element to them, no-one was picking these guys back when they were about 25-25 late midseason. They've been remarkable since.

I still hold my dirty Bird grudge right along with the Jordan hate any true Piston fan is required to carry!

Eta: Giannis had his last year, and possibly may win more rings before he's done. So this year I'm for the Celts.

He did carry his team to the playoff with other stars on the team injured for the season, though.

Also, this is not playoffs MVP, it's league MVP. Performance in the playoffs shouldn't really count when determining who gets to win this award.

Nobody is saying Jokic wasn't a top five player this year, just that personally I did not find him to be the most impressive. And let's be clear, the MVP is kind of an arbitrary award. Give it to the best player on the best team, that's Booker. Give it to the most important player on the best team, that's Paul. Give it to the best player, that's Giannis. Give it to the guy who did more for his team than any other single player, that's probably Luka. Give it to the guy with the best overall stats, that's Jokic. Give it to the guy with the most spectacular season, that's Ja. You can rationalize it anyway you'd like, I'd just hope the MVP is expected to be in the second round.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nobody is saying Jokic wasn't a top five player this year, just that personally I did not find him to be the most impressive. And let's be clear, the MVP is kind of an arbitrary award. Give it to the best player on the best team, that's Booker. Give it to the most important player on the best team, that's Paul. Give it to the best player, that's Giannis. Give it to the guy who did more for his team than any other single player, that's probably Luka. Give it to the guy with the best overall stats, that's Jokic. Give it to the guy with the most spectacular season, that's Ja. You can rationalize it anyway you'd like, I'd just hope the MVP is expected to be in the second round.

Everywhere else in the world they just give player of the year to the best player, it works fine.

The best player on the best team argument is particularly stupid to us. 

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Probably Giannis. I have a hard time giving the MVP to a guy who everyone expected to get bounced quickly in the first round. 

MVP is a regular season award. The fact that Denver without Porter and Murray obviously has no chance against a fit GS team shouldnt impact your assessment of him as a regular season MVP.

As for whether or not he should have won, I think anyone of Jokic, Embidd and Giannis could have gotten it.

Personally one thing that detracts from my enjoyment of Giannis, for all his qualities, is his bad 3 point shooting. If he could round that out, I would consider him to be the best.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Everywhere else in the world they just give player of the year to the best player, it works fine.

And I do think there is a case to be made that Jokic is actually as good as Giannis not just his superb stats. If you put Jokic on this Bucks team, they would also be formidable.

My personal top 10 players this season:

1) Jokic

2) Embidd

3) Giannis

4) Booker

5) Luka

6) Tatum

7) Morant

8) LeBron

9) Durant

10) Many contenders

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How many people are taking Jokic first overall if we were drafting players to start a franchise with, because I'm not sure he's even in the top five guys I'd take? 

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

MVP is a regular season award. The fact that Denver without Porter and Murray obviously has no chance against a fit GS team shouldnt impact your assessment of him as a regular season MVP.

As for whether or not he should have won, I think anyone of Jokic, Embidd and Giannis could have gotten it.

Personally one thing that detracts from my enjoyment of Giannis, for all his qualities, is his bad 3 point shooting. If he could round that out, I would consider him to be the best

Ask yourself, when was the last time you thought the MVP had no chance at winning a title, excluding last year?

Also, you can say it's a regular season all you want, Draymond destroying Jokic in the first round highlights why it's a flawed concept.

Archived