NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Was there any context to that picture? Has Booker been running his mouth off to Doncic previously? 

Yeah he's been running his mouth of all series but then Booker is a famous thrash talker.

Love that Luka look hahaha

Man what an upset that Dallas actually ejected them. And for the Celtics to blow the Bucks out like that...

I'd have thought the most impactful thing would be how the Suns lost, not the Bucks. At least the Bucks lost it gradually, not roll over in the first half with a shocking point total and the game out of reach in the third quarter.

I mean, they were relatively close at half time and down 15 at the end of the third, as opposed to the Suns being down 30, getting matched by Luka alone, and then down 40 in the same time frame.

It is hard to believe how bad the Suns were, in game 7, at home.  This was a team that was undefeated at home this postseason and almost assuredly had 3 of the 4 best players in the game.  If one guy is off, that happens sometimes in game 7 and you just gotta pick up the slack.  But instead it was just terrible, terrible offense from all three Suns stars.  In the first half, Paul/Ayton/Booker combined for 6 points and just one field goal (a dunk by Ayton).  That would be terrible for any one of them, but for all three?!

2 hours ago, Relic said:

The Suns were sooo bad you have to wonder if something happened before the game. 

Ayton was intentionally benched and it wasn’t due to poor play (though he was awful). Williams said so flatly after the game.

It is interesting, does make you wonder what happens to him in free agency.

The Suns are expected to go far to retain him, cause losing him is a big problem. But if there are internal issues, some other team might steal him by giving that max deal.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

It is interesting, does make you wonder what happens to him in free agency.

The Suns are expected to go far to retain him, cause losing him is a big problem. But if there are internal issues, some other team might steal him by giving that max deal.

It seems like the Suns have been trying to convince him that he's not quite a max player and should settle for a deal that is close to, but not quite, max.  Exactly how good a players needs to be to get a max contract of course depends on that player's leverage over the team. 

It is hard to put into words just how bad that game 7 loss was for Phoenix.  Not only are they out early in a year when they had the best record.  But between Paul's age and Ayton contract (along with several other guys who need to get paid like Bridges and Crowder) there is real doubt about whether they can hope to have as good a team next year.  This was a team taking a shot at a championship, and that shot missed.  If they bite the bullet and pay Ayton whatever is necessary then next year Paul is a year older and the team is without at least a couple of role players as salary cap casulaties.  Is the championship window still open?  I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Is the championship window still open?  I'm not sure. 

I'm going to say probably not. Like you said, Paul will be another year older and there's no reason to believe he'll be able to hold up. I think there's also a better than 50/50 chance Ayton isn't on the team next year and it's hard to see how the Suns can put together a roster that's as good or better than the one they had this season. Also the West is going to be tougher next year. Dallas will add more around Luka, Denver should be at full strength and the LA teams won't be as disappointing. Maybe they can fix things with Ayton, add a few cheap pieces and bubble wrap CP, but I wouldn't bet on it.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It seems like the Suns have been trying to convince him that he's not quite a max player and should settle for a deal that is close to, but not quite, max.  Exactly how good a players needs to be to get a max contract of course depends on that player's leverage over the team. 

It is hard to put into words just how bad that game 7 loss was for Phoenix.  Not only are they out early in a year when they had the best record.  But between Paul's age and Ayton contract (along with several other guys who need to get paid like Bridges and Crowder) there is real doubt about whether they can hope to have as good a team next year.  This was a team taking a shot at a championship, and that shot missed.  If they bite the bullet and pay Ayton whatever is necessary then next year Paul is a year older and the team is without at least a couple of role players as salary cap casulaties.  Is the championship window still open?  I'm not sure. 

I havent looked into their cap situation and dont know whats possible. I expect they must want to resign Ayton though and they keep saying officially that thats the plan. If they go into the tax, is it not possible to keep Ayton and Bridges? Yes you have 4 huge deals but you also give one of the best teams in the league another go. One thing you can do with Paul is play him ( a lot) less in the regular season. Throughout this year I was amazed at often he played, game in game out he was there, there's been very little resting of him. I would change that next season and try to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Archived