NBA next- The Lebron-less playoffs?

DireWolfSpirit

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Probably yeah.  Totally fine with him or Smith though.

I wouldn't be out on Banchero. Not sure he's got the highest ceiling, but he's probably the most ready to play and I don't think he'll be a bust. That said, I have no confidence in this draft. 

Nice to see the Heat finally decided to show up. 23 all now after a horrific start. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn't be out on Banchero. Not sure he's got the highest ceiling, but he's probably the most ready to play and I don't think he'll be a bust.

I don't really care about most ready to play, definitely prefer upside.  Frankly, if that's gonna be the deciding factor and you have the number one pick, I think you should always go with upside.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't really care about most ready to play, definitely prefer upside.  Frankly, if that's gonna be the deciding factor and you have the number one pick, I think you should always go with upside.

Normally I'd agree, but I don't think there's any consensus on who has the most upside. We know who the top three are, yet there isn't much consistency on how they're ranked with the except that Chet is almost never listed as third (and when he is it's from people who don't seem like they'd want to draft him).  You know I'm far from sold on him, but it's not like the other two were wowing in their performances either. 

:dunno:

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

but I don't think there's any consensus on who has the most upside.

Certainly not.  In my book though it's either Holmgren or Smith.  BCS for Banchero is something in between Carmelo and Webber, which is cool, but doesn't really fit these days.  Or, at least, is not worth giving up the defensive upside both of the other two got.

Celtics not missing a beat without Horford or Smart. I’m officially rooting for a Warriors-Celtics final. That would be a fun series. In the regular season they split their 2 games but the Warriors win was before the All-star break when the Celtics started going on their run, and the Celtics win was an off night win with Curry leaving the game in the first half. Really want to see how they’d match up now.

merit: Aaaand this game just went night and day in the 3rd.

Perhaps I made a mistake picking the Mavs. It's only one game, but I think GS can replicate it. The question going into this series was would they let Luka get his and try to shut everyone else down or try to shut Luka down and let everyone else try to beat them. I totally overlooked the third option: punk Luka. They're gonna beat him up while defending everyone and Idk how the Mavs counter it. 

The Warriors were going at Luka all night and it worked.  I'm sure the Mavs will have a hot shooting night or two, but overall this looks like the Warriors series to lose.  The Mavs have to balance between putting out strong defenders and dangerous shooters.  The Warriors don't have to choose.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

The Warriors were going at Luka all night and it worked.  I'm sure the Mavs will have a hot shooting night or two, but overall this looks like the Warriors series to lose.  The Mavs have to balance between putting out strong defenders and dangerous shooters.  The Warriors don't have to choose.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is not the shooting or defensive team of yesteryear, the Splash Bros are mortal now and the Warriors overall have flaws that can be exploited. 

Do you think this team is anything close to their first championship run? 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. This is not the shooting or defensive team of yesteryear, the Splash Bros are mortal now and the Warriors overall have flaws that can be exploited. 

On paper it is, their 5th best player was an all star starter. 

I read these responses and I can’t disagree… but at the same time I’m reminded of all the series I thought were over after game 1 only to completely flip the script.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The 2022 Warriors are not as scary as the 2015 Warriors because the Big 3 of Curry/Green/Thompson are not what they were 7 years ago.  But the other talent around them is just as good (different, obviously).  We'll see if their stars can recapture enough magic to win again.  I expect they're just too much for the Mavs.  The Celtics in particular don't feel like a great matchup for GSW since they have so many great defenders to throw at the GSW guards. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I read these responses and I can’t disagree… but at the same time I’m reminded of all the series I thought were over after game 1 only to completely flip the script.

I expected the Warriors to win game 1 at home against a Mavs team that emotionally is still recovering from game 7.  I'm sure that the Mavs will have a hot shooting night or two and get wins that way.  But on a night when both teams are shooting about the same, I expect the Warriors to win every time.  They just get better looks with their passing and have more defensive versatility than the Mavs do. 

As much as the Warriors are favoured against the Mavs, I expect the Suns were favoured even more.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think of the Grizzlies' contract situation. I think they are already paying Jaren Jackson a max and Morant obviously gets a max when he's due but what will they offer Bane and Brooks? Is it possible we see an OKC style break up? Or will they go all in with Bird Rights like the Warriors?

32 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

As much as the Warriors are favoured against the Mavs, I expect the Suns were favoured even more.

Sure, but how much of the Mavs win was Dallas playing well and how much was the Suns underachieving?  Because that is what it looked like to me.  The Suns were shooting ice cold, turning the ball over and playing much worse D than they did all season. Ayton got benched in game 7 because he was jogging on a closeout.  How often do you see a team with genuinely poor effort in a game 7?  It's basically unheard of. 

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The 2022 Warriors are not as scary as the 2015 Warriors because the Big 3 of Curry/Green/Thompson are not what they were 7 years ago.  But the other talent around them is just as good (different, obviously).  We'll see if their stars can recapture enough magic to win again.  I expect they're just too much for the Mavs.  The Celtics in particular don't feel like a great matchup for GSW since they have so many great defenders to throw at the GSW guards. 

Have to disagree that the talent around them is as good. Poole is a great scorer, but he's also worthless on D. Wiggins and Barnes feel like a push and there's nobody that can replicate what Iggy and Livingston brought. 

I thought Dallas could win because they have the best player, the better defense and their best lineup's worst shooter hits threes at 39%. Luka surrounded by shooters who can defend on paper should be a problem for the Warriors, but in game one Luka couldn't consistently get by Wiggins or Green and that's a real problem. Another confusing thing from the Suns series is how he was able to walk past Bridges whenever he wanted which makes no sense give he's a better defender than Wiggins and probably Green as well. 

Boston has now won six of the seven quarters (and the final one tonight doesn't matter given it's a blowout). Miami may be in real trouble here. Not enough has been made about them missing Lowry, who is their only true PG.

Archived