Lord of thr Rins...Book Story vs GOT

LOTR vs GOTs

I read LOTR and Hobbit in 1968 and 1969 ...my7th and 8th grade curriculums Hha

When I first saw LOTR I wanted to know how they got into my brain to produce on screen exactly yht images I had of the characters and lands.      Then I realized Tolkien was so descriptive all we Middle Earth Weathermen and Yippies internalized the same images. The Hobbit modified the book a bit but that was to get 3 films rather than 1 1/3 films which would have resulted. The foundation that controls everything that is Tolkien have had control over those films

Jackson did a phenomenal job as well. i am glad I never read a GOT book...I thought HBO GOT was great almost as good as Sopranos (where I grew up) and Rome....films on reality are sometime or most often ... so much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the books vs movies is always going to produce strong emotions. In the end they're different entertainment mediums each with their own pros and cons. I personally think the Hobbit could've been managed in two movies easy. But they wanted that third movie for the extra money and it was pretty obvious. We didn't need a mystery story that Sauron was still alive when we as an audience knew. A single line of dialogue from Gandalf could've hinted at that. 

As far as the GoT novels go, I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you choose not to read them if you enjoyed reading Lord of the Rings as a child. They're so much more in depth and there's so much more to the story. The main downside is, I doubt Martin's ever going to finish the novels. Whatever else you want to say about how the show ended, at least they finished it. 

Archived