Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

Is there really any hope for Q’s character at this point? I’m struggling to see how this wraps up in a way that doesn’t make him look like a dick.

Another bland episode though. Picard getting run over might have been the only surprise (everything else going largely as we suspected, Jurati losing further control etc) … and they did the ‘X minutes earlier’ thing for no real reason. And who’s hyped for a ‘someone runs around someone else’s brain’ episode, those are always a hit! /s

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

When not-Laris was muttering or cursing something in the clinic, the subtitles said it was in Romulan.

I watched with subtitles, too, so I caught that. It made me fear that this entire plot could be a "all a dream" BS. But more likely she is either lying to Picard, or doesn't know herself that she is in fact Romulan, and may have been altered to blend in with humans.

19 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I watched with subtitles, too, so I caught that. It made me fear that this entire plot could be a "all a dream" BS. But more likely she is either lying to Picard, or doesn't know herself that she is in fact Romulan, and may have been altered to blend in with humans.

I think there is still a chance that the entire setting is indeed weirder than it appears. I mean, why the hell is non-Laris looking like Laris if not to confuse/mess with Picard? Why is non-Soji suddenly Soong's cloned daughter? Why does non-LAris volunteer to enter Picard's mind although she before didn't want to intervene in events directly, if not to help him resolve his pre-time travel issues with his family because that's her purpose?

Q's only (or main) interest in all that would be Picard, so the entire charade would be about helping or changing or affecting him and his personality in some manner.

Picard's issues seem to revolve around domestic abuse ... which is something the Star Trek paradise world setting should have resolved, though. Why would Yvette (have to) stay with an abusive husband? People are no longer dependent on spouses or family or employers if there is no longer any money.

20 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Is there really any hope for Q’s character at this point? I’m struggling to see how this wraps up in a way that doesn’t make him look like a dick.

To be fair, Q's been looking like a dick since 1987. I still remember All Good Things tripping over itself by stating that Picard will destroy humanity, but in reality Picard was only put in that position by Q's meddling, so Q was ultimately responsible. Picard let him off the hook.

The theory that maybe it's Q being tested...not Picard...almost gains some strength...but that would mean resetting the whole status quo at the end...

Maybe it will do that and the first two seasons will turn out to be an elaborate dream/plot and that's how we get to where we go in the third season with the old cast... :P

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The theory that maybe it's Q being tested...not Picard...almost gains some strength...but that would mean resetting the whole status quo at the end...

Maybe it will do that and the first two seasons will turn out to be an elaborate dream/plot and that's how we get to where we go in the third season with the old cast... :P

The trailer for season 3 kind of implied that chances are not that bad that season 2 will end with a massive continuity change ... which would easily be imaginable if whatever they do to stop the Confederation timeline is not going to restore the original timeline as it was but rather in a modified manner.

After all, Q already changed things and made it so that the guys remember 'the other timeline' - enabling them to travel back in time in the first place.

That Brent Spiner is back for season 3 and the whole show is advertised as being a reunion of the original TNG crew could also indicate that Data will be back - and that would only work if either Nemesis didn't happen, or subsequent events would result in B4 becoming Data or somebody else where to build another body for Data before they would erase his simulated mind.

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The trailer for season 3 kind of implied that chances are not that bad that season 2 will end with a massive continuity change ... which would easily be imaginable if whatever they do to stop the Confederation timeline is not going to restore the original timeline as it was but rather in a modified manner.

To be honest, I'd be even happier if we got Dwight Schultz back. I know he was only in a handful of episodes, but Barclay was one of my favorite characters. It's not often you get a character who's both so flawed, yet so lovable.

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

This totally passed me by … I saw the news that the full cast were returning, but didn’t realise there was a teaser. Probably cos the previous season’s still airing…

Yes it is odd ... the reason why I think they might revamp the timeline is that there is actually little chance that the gang would reunite with Picard in the timeline we have ... Data is dead, Will and Deanna have settled down, and the others are not exactly close with the old man.

But more importantly, Picard has a new gang of misfits now ... in a revamped timeline their lives might not be broken as they are now, so they might no longer hang out with the old man the way they do now.

This kind of thing is already set up - Rios might decide to stay behind with his doctor lady, Jurati is on her way to become the new Borg Queen, Raffi might sacrifice herself to ensure Elnor returns from the dead, etc.

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But more importantly, Picard has a new gang of misfits now ... in a revamped timeline their lives might not be broken as they are now, so they might no longer hang out with the old man the way they do now.

This kind of thing is already set up - Rios might decide to stay behind with his doctor lady, Jurati is on her way to become the new Borg Queen, Raffi might sacrifice herself to ensure Elnor returns from the dead, etc.

It hadn’t occurred to me but you think they’ll completely ditch the cast for the TNG cast? It does come across that way to be fair. Not much of a display of confidence to just jettison what you’ve built and make TNG Season 8 instead.

3 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It hadn’t occurred to me but you think they’ll completely ditch the cast for the TNG cast? It does come across that way to be fair. Not much of a display of confidence to just jettison what you’ve built and make TNG Season 8 instead.

I don't think the other cast will be ditched completely, but it sure as hell looks like they would take a back seat in season 3 if they were still all there. Unless, of course, the return of the old gang were just a promo stunt and they are not going to get much screen time. But if they get a lot of screen time then the writers should focus on them and their past development and their motivations, etc. to no small degree. The misfits gang might not fit in very well with all that.

And as I said - it looks as if season 2 might provide certain endings for quite a few of the characters - Jurati seems to become the new Borg Queen, Rios might decide to stay behind, etc.

Also, the setup for season 2 was already burying the status quo at the end of season 1 - there you thought Picard might now have a new ship and the misfits had become a working crew ... but that wasn't the case and it is just Q being a dick which causes them to work together again in season 2.

I'm not 100% sure where this show ends up in the end, but I'm starting to get serious, "Rios returns to the future with the Doctor and two humpback whales to save the Earth..."

I mean, I could be wrong, but it feels like a true possibility...

I just started a rewatch, planning on doing the full 90’s-00’s rewatch I always dreamed of with everything in airdate order. Man Season 1 is weird. I mean it’s shit, but it’s got such an odd tone to it that’s weirdly mesmerising. I still prefer it to the Kurtzman stuff I think.

Code of Honor is so famous for being racist, it gets over looked how bad it is with trying to depict women. Tasha gets ‘tricked’ (unclear) into admitting she felt good when Lutan picked her to be his … uh, mate or something? And they keep dancing around this supposed attraction someone must surely have for such an adonis like him. It’s like a David Brent attempt at showing off how progressive they are with women and utterly fucking it up.

Overall, not a bad episode, but the whole dream sequence just felt... eh. Like why? I continue to have absolutely no idea where this is going, not in a "OMG, I can't wait to find out what happens!" but more in a "They're going to fuck this all up somehow." I do hope they stick the landing, but I think, even if they do, at this point I'll probably wonder if it was really worth it. So far, this season gets a pretty anemic shrug from me. 

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I just started a rewatch, planning on doing the full 90’s-00’s rewatch I always dreamed of with everything in airdate order. Man Season 1 is weird. I mean it’s shit, but it’s got such an odd tone to it that’s weirdly mesmerising. I still prefer it to the Kurtzman stuff I think.

Code of Honor is so famous for being racist, it gets over looked how bad it is with trying to depict women. Tasha gets ‘tricked’ (unclear) into admitting she felt good when Lutan picked her to be his … uh, mate or something? And they keep dancing around this supposed attraction someone must surely have for such an adonis like him. It’s like a David Brent attempt at showing off how progressive they are with women and utterly fucking it up.

I'm currently making my way through a first-time watch of both the original series and Enterprise. Once I'm done with those (which won't be for a while at my current pace), I'm planning to watch both TNG and Voyager. TNG I've seen a lot of, but never the entire series straight through and Voyager I've only seen parts of the first 5 seasons. DS9 I've watched through multiple times so I think I might skip that one this time.

Seasons 1 of TNG really feels like just another season of TOS in some respects. LOTS of aliens-that-are-just-humans-but-with-funny-clothes and it's tonally and visually very, very dated. The characters are also a bit off or in Data's case, very off. Season 2 kind of has that feel too, but it also starts to come into its own a bit more. The documentary "Chaos on the Bridge" goes into why Seasons 1 and 2 are so weirdly messy, but IIRC it comes down to Roddenberry being up his own arse, the writing staff being dominated by TOS veterans, and the show lacking any clear direction from the production staff that wasn't absolutely terrible. Don't quote me on that though, it's been a couple of years since I watched it. Totally worth watching though.

3 hours ago, Durckad said:

LOTS of aliens-that-are-just-humans-but-with-funny-clothes and it's tonally and visually very, very dated.

I just watched ‘Where No One Has Gone Before’ and the alien assistant has one job; to push buttons. He’s introduced as someone who needs to push buttons far faster than any human could, then revealed to be the real genius behind the operation. Then he has to save them all by pushing some more buttons.

What did the makeup department go with? Looking pretty much entirely human - except for giant hands with three chubby bee-stung digits that make it impossible for him to push buttons. The whole climax of the episode is him just mashing his palms onto a monitor.

Some reviews are kinder to this episode, but this is peak Roddenberry style ‘tries to be cerebral and clever but actually has no point whatsoever’.

Well Picard continues to be either dull as fuck or a complete mess. No idea what’s going on and don’t particularly care at this point. 

The guy at the end was one of the 29th century Starfleet crew who was trying to fix the timeline in VOY: ‘Relativity’. But knowing this show he’ll just turn out to be yet another ancestor. 

Surprise, surprise ... perhaps Q does this stuff so that Picard faces his weird childhood traumas.

Wasn't that clear literally from the start ;-)?

The absence of Robert Picard in those flashbacks really starts to get annoying - it is very much established that Jean-Luc did have an elder brother named Robert, and that guy should have been *right there* with Jean-Luc in those days.

Or if he has to be absent, then please mention where the hell the guy is.

Picard's trauma being somekind Jane Eyre-like madness nonsense feels very forced - this is paradise Earth, they would not only have methods to treat Yvette, but also essentially all the means in the world to shield little Jean-Luc from her madder episodes. Not just because of paradise and all the social services that would come with that ... but also because they live in a gigantic chateau where they would have had some staff.

It may have been more interesting to come up with a different childhood story thingy if they felt they needed to have something like that.

Archived