Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

1 hour ago, felice said:

The problem is that each new voice is just a drop in the ocean. New views and ideas are taken onboard, but they don't get to outvote the existing members of the collective. We're seeing more obvious change now in Picard with just two voices.

Considering that we know that various catastrophes killed lots and lots of Borg drones there should still be massive changes to the collective whenever something like that happens - and of course the assimilation of entire populations should also have a considerable effect, especially in the early history of the Borg.

Instead, what we see is that becoming Borg apparently means you either lose your own will completely or you somehow agree with a mad and quite stupid plan of universal conquest ... and that doesn't make a lot of sense.

And speaking about sense - it is awfully convenient that Queen Jurati wants to travel to the Delta Quadrant, no? Why should she go there of all places? There are the other Borg, yes, but she could build her collective of misfits at any place she chooses ... and it might actually be much smarter to build up some strength before you ever encounter the real Borg, no? World War III is soon to engulf the Earth as she should know from the history books, and in its aftermath there certainly will be millions of suffering people who might want to be part of her collective.

But, of course, if she stayed behind in the Alpha Quadrant it would mess up the timeline and stuff.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think it's clear that Queen Jurati is the Borg Queen that "attacked" the USS Stargazer in the first episode. Which means that the timeline won't be altered much, and that her collective is something else, different from the regular Borg Collective. 

That is quite likely, but in a time paradox situation things might still be changed considerably.

I see ads saying Strange New Worlds has started, I guess that means Picard ended it's season? Maybe once a few episodes are out I'll sign up for a month and watch both.

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I see ads saying Strange New Worlds has started, I guess that means Picard ended it's season? Maybe once a few episodes are out I'll sign up for a month and watch both.

Same day for the Picard finale and SNW premiere.

I've not seen much of Picard season 2, but the word around the internet is, it's one of the worst seasons of Trek ever made after the season final aired. Any of this true?

23 minutes ago, sifth said:

I've not seen much of Picard season 2, but the word around the internet is, it's one of the worst seasons of Trek ever made after the season final aired. Any of this true?

I've not seen the finale yet.  And I think this season has ups and downs, what with some highly potential areas for the story to go, that were left unrealized...but I still liked it, mostly, better than season one of Picard...and how can it be the worst out there when there are all those seasons of Discovery out there...?

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Yes. I haven’t seen the finale either but it’s a complete mess. 

Probably not much point in a separate spoiler thread for SNW as no other shows are airing, but maybe spoiler tags for the first week while Picard keeps getting discussed? All non-Americans still can’t legally watch SNW.

SNW spoilers:

Spoiler

Pike confirms the 2nd American Civil War, the Eugenics War, and World War III were essentially the same war.  But I can see the Eugenics War starting in Asia where Khan is conquering as a separate thing from the 2ACW, and then eventually entangled to become WW3.

Lt. Kirk, is Sam Kirk, James's brother.  But JTK is cast with a different actor, and I forgot he isn't showing up until the 2nd season.  The media reports about the younger Kirk were not misdirection, they just didn't mention he would be a second Kirk to show up.

Well I got the finale of Picard out of the way, before starting SNW. Truly a disappointing season. Spoilers for the finale

Spoiler

The emotional goodbye with Q did not feel earned, having seen so little of Q in the season. Turns out he's a good guy after all, he just wanted Picard to redress his emotional life at this late stage in a completely roundabout way. He both hindered the timeline and helped make it right, because that's who he is I guess. At least Picard had the presence of mind to press him on why do all this, but was then satisfied with half an answer.

Rios decided that he was going to remain in 2024 to no one's surprise. Except that when it came time to express his motives, the writers forgot that he had rejoined Starfleet and became captain of a brand new, top of the line ship. Instead they focused only on his season 1 status.

Queen Jurati was indeed the mysterious borg queen and we got another big galactic threat that only her collective knew about, at least partially, and she needed a figurative holding of hands moment to save the quadrant. They pulled a fucking Force Awakens with that moment. In Stark Trek! Not knowing how distances and light travel work. WTF. 

Hey Wesley Crusher is one of those mysterious Travelers that Talinn was part of. So I guess he may be a part of next season's big reunion.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

SNW spoilers:

Hide contents

Pike confirms the 2nd American Civil War, the Eugenics War, and World War III were essentially the same war.  But I can see the Eugenics War starting in Asia where Khan is conquering as a separate thing from the 2ACW, and then eventually entangled to become WW3.

Watch it with subtitles. The wars were sequential the way he describes them.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

SNW spoilers:

Hide contents

Lt. Kirk, is Sam Kirk, James's brother.  But JTK is cast with a different actor, and I forgot he isn't showing up until the 2nd season.  The media reports about the younger Kirk were not misdirection, they just didn't mention he would be a second Kirk to show up.

He still isn't Canadian. 

-

What a cool episode. Love it. An interesting, original take on the first contact scenario. 

The Gorn sound like total shitheads. 

They played it safe with the plot for episode 1 of SNW and I think it worked. Nice visuals all around and yes a good way to tie it to events from season 2 of Discovery.

A bit brave to actually show footage from current events (vs. just implying them) but then again Star Trek has stopped caring what certain people think about it.

Not yet finished Picard, but SNW was pretty good. It is not that hard to kind of recreate 'the Star Trek feeling', no?

For the sake of consistency Nurse Chapel will have to go eventually but it might be fun if they actually show us the real flesh-and-blood Roger Corby, and perhaps even how they first meet.

Didn't like Pike hanging out in Montana - one of the few things about him we know from 'The Cage' that he is from the Mojave Desert region - which is no longer a desert in his time and it would have been really nice if the show had shown this change.

Him still having issues with 'future vision' was great, although I'm not sure he should have overcome them so easily and quickly - although the trailer indicates that this is not over yet.

14 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Not yet finished Picard, but SNW was pretty good. It is not that hard to kind of recreate 'the Star Trek feeling', no?

For the sake of consistency Nurse Chapel will have to go eventually but it might be fun if they actually show us the real flesh-and-blood Roger Corby, and perhaps even how they first meet.

Didn't like Pike hanging out in Montana - one of the few things about him we know from 'The Cage' that he is from the Mojave Desert region - which is no longer a desert in his time and it would have been really nice if the show had shown this change.

Him still having issues with 'future vision' was great, although I'm not sure he should have overcome them so easily and quickly - although the trailer indicates that this is not over yet.

They did mention that he had toured the Mojave with the doctor. 

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

They did mention that he had toured the Mojave with the doctor. 

It would have still been better if we had seen it, though - just as it would have been great to see Robert Picard in season 2 of Picard.

The fact that Sybok is not even mentioned, though, still sucks. If Spock likes to talk about his foster sister folks could also mention his half-brother - even more so considering his mother was apparently a really important person of Vulcan and he might have been still there at this time.

18 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well I got the finale of Picard out of the way, before starting SNW. Truly a disappointing season. Spoilers for the finale

Hide contents

The emotional goodbye with Q did not feel earned, having seen so little of Q in the season. Turns out he's a good guy after all, he just wanted Picard to redress his emotional life at this late stage in a completely roundabout way. He both hindered the timeline and helped make it right, because that's who he is I guess. At least Picard had the presence of mind to press him on why do all this, but was then satisfied with half an answer.

Rios decided that he was going to remain in 2024 to no one's surprise. Except that when it came time to express his motives, the writers forgot that he had rejoined Starfleet and became captain of a brand new, top of the line ship. Instead they focused only on his season 1 status.

Queen Jurati was indeed the mysterious borg queen and we got another big galactic threat that only her collective knew about, at least partially, and she needed a figurative holding of hands moment to save the quadrant. They pulled a fucking Force Awakens with that moment. In Stark Trek! Not knowing how distances and light travel work. WTF. 

Hey Wesley Crusher is one of those mysterious Travelers that Talinn was part of. So I guess he may be a part of next season's big reunion.

Spoiler

Wesley being a Traveller isn't new - he joined them towards the end of TNG. What is new is connecting them as being in charge of the Supervisors (Tallinn's group, previously seen in TOS with Gary Seven).

The other thing to point out is that Seven's now had a romantic arc a million times better than the one she had at the end of Voyager.

Picard spoilers:

Spoiler

OK. So.

There’s some kind of trans warp thing that’s gonna destroy the quadrant. Q sees this, whilst dying, and says “how can I fix this and also have Picard confront his past?” And his solution is; to send the main cast to an alternate timeline so that they time travel back to 2024 and have to deal with the fact that he’s been talking Renee out of going to space and in doing so they kinda arbitrarily create the conditions by which Jurati is positioned to talk the Borg Queen into creating a good collective (but not too soon, Picard needs an epiphany under gunfire first in the chateau), so that she can lay dormant for 400 years and watch billions die at the hands of the old Borg, but then show up to do a Guardians of the Galaxy to protect the quadrant from a big death ray. Oh and Wesley hired Gary Seven.

I’m genuinely asking if I have that correct.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait.  Why does Chapel have to go?  What am I forgetting?  She's super into Spock, as I recall, in TOS...

Chapel is a trained biologist in TOS and only joined Kirk on the five year mission because she hoped she might find her husband-to-be. Once Roger turns out to be a robot she ends up joining the crew permanently.

If they want consistency in SNW (and that's of a course a big 'if') then it can make sense for Chapel to be on the Enterprise for a limited gig, but she cannot really become a proper member of the crew. And so far that seems to be what they are flying with - she is only there because as a liaison because of that science joint venture with Starfleet.

Similarly, I think, the show should also try to figure Kirk's biography in their show, for instance, referencing his time away from Earth on Tarsus IV where he met Kodos and stuff.

Must say I really like the Khan girl in SNW.

Anyway, random thought - I actually tried to rewatch the first Abrams movies some time ago but couldn't continue watching after the movie randomly mentioned fucking Cardassians. That was just so uncalled for and pointless.

As for the Picard finale:

Spoiler

Random shit:

1. Q dies because of 'reasons'. What a sad plotline. This is not something you can just do. If you establish immortal and omnipotent beings then you have to give reasons why they are no longer immortal and/or omnipotent. Just as you would also have to give reasons if some mortal character was suddenly immortal and all-powerful.

2. Q likes Picard for 'reasons' but cannot explain them. That's just shitty writing and their attempt to please the audience through emotions (they like each other, after all) and not by the story making sense. It is pretty clear that Q liked Picard for some reason - but him being a fucking god means it is very significant why he prefers that cockroach over the other. That's not a trivial thing at all. The writers either couldn't come up with a good explanation or they didn't even try. But if there was something to the Picard-Q relationship then the interesting question why the latter was so obsessed with Jean-Luc.

3. I think the death of fake Laris was the worst death I ever saw in a show. So fucking pointless. Even the execution sucked - how on earth can Evil Soong have a neurotoxin that kills Romulans? Even if he magically had that and was using it because, well, you never know when the human woman you try to kill is actually a Romulan working for higher beings ... then it certainly makes sense that high beings and future medical tech cannot deal with early 21th century poisons. While the idea of her sacrificing herself also kind of sucked ... the execution could have easily been much better!

4. The Soong/Kore plot was completely disjointed and thus pointless - they repeat the shit from the first season where the Borg cube plot also had no bearing on the normal story. And, of course, we cannot try a synthesis or folks overcoming their issues - Soong must remain evil, just as the machine Old Ones were actually evil deities (who still needed to be summoned, though). Is the whole 'Khan project' epilogue there a hint that Soong might be the one behind the Eugenics Wars? They were in the 1990s, so it shouldn't be the case ... but who knows?

5. Couldn't they not explain whether Queen Jurati and her Borg are now THE BORG or are there (at least) two factions of Borg now? That is kind of important.

6. Is Laris leaving in the end or does it mean they will have a romantic relationship now?

4 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:
  Hide contents

Is the whole 'Khan project' epilogue there a hint that Soong might be the one behind the Eugenics Wars? They were in the 1990s, so it shouldn't be the case ... but who knows?

Spoiler

Well, it listed 1996 on that document, so that is presumably when the project began. It being 28 years later, he might have been a part of it, might not, but I think they're implying he'd be getting embryos out of the freezer sort of thing.

Archived