Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

On 5/10/2022 at 3:05 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Also, on another note, in a discussion with a friend of mine.  And the question is:

"Is SNW set in an alternate timeline than the prime timeline of TOS and TNG?  Is this a "Discovery Timeline" and that gives more freedom to make alterations?

God I hope so. The nerd rage rises.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

So the second Civil War, the Eugenics War and WW:III were all the same war? That's one part of this episode, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Watch it with subtitles. He's describing sequential wars. 

3 hours ago, sifth said:

So the second Civil War, the Eugenics War and WW:III were all the same war? That's one part of this episode, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Heck wasn't the Eugenics War, suppose to take place during the 90's, lol

I think it's Eugenics Wars plural. So the first Eugenics War is in the 90s, and there's another between the Second Civil War and WWIII. They're all interconnected, so people are often imprecise in talking about them. So Spock's "The mid-1990s was the era of your last so-called World War" is talking about a series of wars beginning with the secret Eugenics War in the 1990s and culminating in the somewhat less secret WWIII. Of course, all this retconning will look just as silly as the original version in a couple of decades from now :D

Have not seen SNW Episode 2 yet, but am being told by a friend that it implies that the events of the original pilot ("The Cage") have transpired prior to SNW.  Is that what others are thinking?  Is it important?  Because it's making me wonder.  (It's probably nothing...)

43 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Have not seen SNW Episode 2 yet, but am being told by a friend that it implies that the events of the original pilot ("The Cage") have transpired prior to SNW.  Is that what others are thinking?  Is it important?  Because it's making me wonder.  (It's probably nothing...)

I'm not an expert on TOS as I'm not a huge fan of it, but Discovery established that he had met with the big headed aliens who project things and the human woman living there before, yes. They even take Spock back there to fix his brain. Why they couldn't just remove it, I dunno

54 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That was always the case; the events that The Menagerie flashes back to are pre-DIS/SNW. The Menagerie itself is post.

Pike on big brain planet: 2253

Pike discovers he’s doomed: 2257

Strange New Worlds: 2259 - ?

Crispy Pike returns to Talos: 2266

Okay.  I don't watch Discovery, so I didn't realize it had been covered.  As to the timeline itself, guess I was off a little on what was going on. 

But how can it be 2259 in SNW?  Or, how long was the Enterprise in Dock?  If Pike was on Earth for nearly a year?  

Just trying to wrap my head about things.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Okay.  I don't watch Discovery, so I didn't realize it had been covered.  As to the timeline itself, guess I was off a little on what was going on. 

But how can it be 2259 in SNW?  Or, how long was the Enterprise in Dock?  If Pike was on Earth for nearly a year?  

Just trying to wrap my head about things.

The Enterprise got banged to hell in the battle against Control at the end of season 2 of Discovery, so I can buy them being drydock for a year.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

The Enterprise got banged to hell in the battle against Control at the end of season 2 of Discovery, so I can buy them being drydock for a year.

And they still didn't fix those pesky hologram communication thingys!

On 5/11/2022 at 3:31 PM, Lord Varys said:

Oh, I know that, but I don't think they really count. Yes, there were beyond the magical Galactic Barrier, but they weren't from another galaxy in the sense that they had travelled there. They seemed to originate from the planet which was still part of the Milky Way but not within the confines of the Galactic Barrier.

There are extragalactic stars, and by extension, extragalactic planets. We’ve seen extragalactic stars and not planets imply because our instruments aren’t fine enough to detect them, though we have some indirect evidence.

I took Species 10C to be part of such an extragalactic star system, close to the edge of the Milky Way. Rogue planets and stars are often found close to galaxies, and they were probably flung out of the galaxy relatively recently.

And I think I said it back when discussing the season that the behavior of the weird allies would have made much more sense if they had indeed been from another galaxy, only hanging out at the borders of the Milky Way for their mining operation. After all, if life in their galaxy was completely different and/or they had never discovered any sentient life but their own ... their actions would have made much more sense than they do in the show.

Umm… doesn’t it make sense if they were an extragalactic star system that encountered no life before they started mining the Milky Way?

I mean, what species this advanced wouldn't realize that folks would be killed by the kind of damage they cause?

In relative terms, you’re part of one such advanced species that kills a bunch of folks, so…

And how could they possibly not realize what they are doing with their tech? It just didn't make much sense.

They knew what they were doing with their tech. The side effects of using that tech was not clear to them. This is hardly a revolutionary story idea, but it makes sense.

But in general 'the extra-galactic alien thing' might also not be that great an idea, now that I think about it. DS9 already had very different alien life with the Founders, so they would have to come up with a really great idea for non-humanoid sentient life to make that a compelling story.

True enough. The 10C weren’t quite that.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

SNW S1 E2

Another good episode. Uhura centric this time

Hide contents

A singing comet! That's some classic trek madness right there.

Pikes story develops in an interesting way. 

Spoiler

A singing, sentient, fortune-telling comet that seeds life, no less. Glorious.

9 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Discovery covered this. One of it's Season 2 episodes started with "Previously on Star Trek" where the "Previously" was footage from The Cage.

10 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

There are extragalactic stars, and by extension, extragalactic planets. We’ve seen extragalactic stars and not planets imply because our instruments aren’t fine enough to detect them, though we have some indirect evidence.

I took Species 10C to be part of such an extragalactic star system, close to the edge of the Milky Way. Rogue planets and stars are often found close to galaxies, and they were probably flung out of the galaxy relatively recently.

It could very well be that they are extragalactic in this sense. But this isn't established, they could just as well be in a system which was always directly behind the Galactic Barrier. I'd have liked it if they were actually a species which developed in another galaxy or in a rogue system in the middle of nowhere ... but that's not what the show established, no?

10 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Umm… doesn’t it make sense if they were an extragalactic star system that encountered no life before they started mining the Milky Way?

One would expect that a species with that super tech could also remotely detect other signs of life. I mean, these beings are super advanced and not alien enough to not recognize other forms of sentient life. But then, it is a problem of the writing that it is not even clear whether those folks were originally stupid or just didn't care or were kind of malicious.

I mean, these beings also developed on and once lived on a planet. Even if they viewed whatever life they detected as ant-like, they must have known that they were destroying entire eco-systems with their tech, places which might once bring forth civilizations like their own.

14 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

SNW S1 E2

Another good episode. Uhura centric this time

Hide contents

A singing comet! That's some classic trek madness right there.

Pikes story develops in an interesting way. 

I'd have liked it to learn a little bit more about the comet. I thought there were beings living in there in stasis or as embryos/eggs. After all, the device thingy there also looked like an egg.

I liked Uhura being an uncomfortable newbie, but her not being sure about Starfleet was perhaps a little bit too much. It feels kind of hard to believe that Starfleet would put such a cadet on their flagship. One would assume that she wouldn't voice her doubts about her career path only when she was on the Enterprise.

Anybody else feels we might get a guest appearance of Nichelle Nichols playing Uhura's grandmother?

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd have liked it to learn a little bit more about the comet. I thought there were beings living in there in stasis or as embryos/eggs. After all, the device thingy there also looked like an egg.

I liked Uhura being an uncomfortable newbie, but her not being sure about Starfleet was perhaps a little bit too much. It feels kind of hard to believe that Starfleet would put such a cadet on their flagship. One would assume that she wouldn't voice her doubts about her career path only when she was on the Enterprise.

Anybody else feels we might get a guest appearance of Nichelle Nichols playing Uhura's grandmother?

I thought I'd heard she wasn't in the best of health. 

Archived