Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

It was a good episode, a few similarities with ENT “Fight or Flight” (communications officer newly assigned to the Enterprise has doubts about her career choice, is sent on an away mission and proves integral to the resolution, giving them a new perspective on how a life in Starfleet might pan out). Ripping off old episodes; Strange New Worlds, you are truly embracing the Trek way!

Random comment:

I really enjoy DeForest Kelley in TOS (and still loathe the very idea that Karl Urban could play Bones). Do any of you know good movies, etc. where Kelley played a big or impressive role? I'd like to watch some of those.

I liked but was also amused at the removal of helmets in an alien environment.

They quickly establish that the chamber has a breathable atmosphere. But they keep their helmets still on. (that's what smart space explorers do) But then one of them gets zapped, so the first thing they do is remove his helmet. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I liked but was also amused at the removal of helmets in an alien environment.

They quickly establish that the chamber has a breathable atmosphere. But they keep their helmets still on. (that's what smart space explorers do) But then one of them gets zapped, so the first thing they do is remove his helmet. :laugh:

LOL, yes, that confused me, too. I mean, he was the most vulnerable, so why do that to him. At first I thought they had to do that to revive him, but it didn't seem to be the case.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Random comment:

I really enjoy DeForrest Kelley in TOS (and still loathe the very idea that Karl Urban could play Bones). Do any of you know good movies, etc. where Kelley played a big or impressive role? I'd like to watch some of those.

He guest starred on an episode of The Littlest Hobo. It was kind of like a Canadian Kung Fu but with a German Shepard instead of David Carradine and with somewhat less martial arts. 

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Random comment:

I really enjoy DeForrest Kelley in TOS (and still loathe the very idea that Karl Urban could play Bones). Do any of you know good movies, etc. where Kelley played a big or impressive role? I'd like to watch some of those.

Night of the Lepus comes to mind. The movie is insanely silly, but the bunnies are cute.

Retwatching TOS, I realized that 'A Taste of Armageddon' was a pretty good episode. The idea that a culture might develop weird notions about what's 'civilized', ending up creating a perverted way to wage is not unlikely at all, and Kirk's relentless determination to show the people the true cost of war is really something I enjoyed seeing.

Also, I wanted to ask what you think about the fascist/authoritarian aspects that are clearly there in TOS, likely due to the time the show was written.

I mean things like Kirk needing a bad, rapey side to be a good leader and the idea that a captain/leader must always project strength and determination, or else his subordinates will lose faith and/or rebel ('The Enemy Within' from Richard Matheson).

A similar thing we also get somewhat toned down in 'This Side of Paradise' where there is literally no danger besides the fact that folks being happy means 'society does no longer develop/advance' and that's a universally bad thing which means folks must sacrifice/give up their personal happiness.

In 'The Cage' we do have the idea that folks with weirdo telepathic will inevitably decline and degenerate, and in 'Space Seed' the charistmatic fascist Khan is actually admired by most of the crew (Spock excluded).

I think there are some more such things to be found, but I don't recall them at the moment.

In general, I think, Roddenberry Star Trek is no means 'leftist' in any meaningful sense of the word, but rather influenced by some of the libertarian and technophile notions of some figures in the Hippie movement about Spaceship Earth (Fuller, etc.). Salvation lies in technical and scientific development, political changes (if there are any) happen naturally and without great revolutions and the like. That's a very naive view and naturalize a development that is by no means natural.

Have to say I also don't like it how much Uhuru seems to be build on Hoshi Sato.

We already got a female prodigy with space-related anxieties and insecurities ... so why give them to Uhura as well?

Why not make her a more confident person from the start?

If they had to have an angsty/insecure woman, why not give that part to Chapel, who isn't exactly *that confident* in TOS?

And somebody please has to deal with those silly dates for the devastating wars, however you call them.

I even have kind of a solution - both the TOS 20th century time travel stuff taking place after 'Space Seed' as well as Star Trek IV and all subsequent time travel shenanigans in affecting stuff before the 1990s had butterfly effects moving the dates of the wars around. I'm pretty sure T'Pol ruined a lot of stuff for many people when she messed with the invention of hook and look fasteners.

But, man, how silly is it to name the supermen project 'Project Khan'. He was just one of several supermen, and one would imagine that nobody wanted him to seize control over a quarter of the Earth - not to mention that he likely only could do that by pushing aside or killing various rivals, etc.

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But, man, how silly is it to name the supermen project 'Project Khan'. He was just one of several supermen

Maybe Khan was originally a title, and they were all Khans? Khan Noonien Singh, Khan Bob Dobbs, etc.

I'm working my way thought season four of Discovery now. Minor complaint but the android body for Grey could have been an ok call back to Picard. But why does Dr. Culber have to drop his name? Like anyone who watched Picard would get it. Why would this doctor whose life did not overlap with Picard's at all remember his name? "some admiral" would have been so much better.

Talking Discovery - I've no issue with them showing folks being traumatized and having issues, but does anybody else also have the feeling that the personal stories are basically just that at this point.

I mean, I always expected they would give us some soap elements - for instance robot Grey moving on, falling in love with somebody else, due to the new body experience, for instance. Ditto with Culber whose traumatic experiences could also have had repercussions in the relationship department.

When all folks do is just talk about stuff, things are get kind of weird in a boring way. And what was that weird thing with Adira just wanting to talk to Detmer because she is a bad ass pilot?

Hopefully they give us further background on how

Spoiler

Una got into Starfleet and why she wanted to join it rather than serve with what spacefaring folks the Illyrians have.

But it seems clear that they plan for this revelation to have further repercussions later in the show, so I guess they will elaborate on that.

It may have also been more powerful if Pike had already known everything when she revealed the truth to him.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:29 AM, felice said:

Maybe Khan was originally a title, and they were all Khans? Khan Noonien Singh, Khan Bob Dobbs, etc.

Khan was originally a title.

-

Solid episode. Although if they wanted more realism they would have had about 30% of the crew react like total pricks in response to Space Covid. About 20% of them would have refused the vaccine in favor of zinc supplements and whatever comes out of a random hypo spray. I dunno. Maybe they don't have facebook in the 24th century.

I'm liking this TOS style single episode story arc thing they're doing. I also like that these early episodes are single-character-centric without constantly focussing on Pike or Spock. I would like to see them get into some multi episode stories eventually. 

Man, they sure aren't sparing any expense on this show. The production values are off the chart. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Khan was originally a title.

Sure enough, but it seems clear that Khan Noonien Singh and the crew of TOS thought it qualified as a name in 'Space Seed'.

I could see the guy taking on the name 'Khan' once he became the Khan of whatever empire he carved out for himself ... but since it is Turkish/Mongolish title it is most definitely not a name/title the other augments would go with. Khan's own followers are a very diverse bunch in 'Space Seed', and one imagines that the other tyrants and their followers were as well.

Frankly, if you think about it the chances that an American mad scientist like Evil Soong would go with 'Khan' as the code name for his project is not very likely. After all, we know this guy was obsessed with Greek mythology as all the names for his female clones indicate, so if we are to believe he coined the name for that project it would be something Greek as well. Say, 'Project Pandora' or 'Project Prometheus' or 'Project Apollo'.

Solid episode. Although if they wanted more realism they would have had about 30% of the crew react like total pricks in response to Space Covid. About 20% of them would have refused the vaccine in favor of zinc supplements and whatever comes out of a random hypo spray. I dunno. Maybe they don't have facebook in the 24th century.

I really enjoyed the fact that the crew acted professionally when the isoloation order came. These people do train for this, and apparently it isn't easy to get through the Academy and end up where Uhura is now ... so well done, there.

I'm liking this TOS style single episode story arc thing they're doing. I also like that these early episodes are single-character-centric without constantly focussing on Pike or Spock. I would like to see them get into some multi episode stories eventually.

You mean classical two-parters or trilogies? Could be great, although I'd prefer it if they started to introduce some kind of common theme that they can continue in later seasons. So far it is clear that various personal things will be addressed - Pike's crisis, Una's background, La'an's ancestry, Spock's private life, etc. There is interesting potential in all of that, but it could also be interesting to have recurring bad guys and some kind of larger theme.

Although most definitely not the temporal cold war ... although on second thought, why not? They could finally explain who those factions were and how the whole thing ended. That was never properly done in Enterprise.

Revisiting stuff from Enterprise could also be interesting - T'Pol could still be around in those days (T'Pau certainly was in TOS), and so could Phlox. For the human characters, we could meet descendants of them. It is a pity that so for no other Archer showed up (and it wouldn't have to be a descendant, it could just as well be a cousin or nephew). Although if they wanted to they could still put crucial characters in those family through the female line. Would be fun, if La'an wasn't just descended from Khan but also, say, from Hoshi.

They could visit planets and species we last saw in Enterprise, tell us how the Xindi are doing, etc. With the Illyrians they already took a step in that direction.

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Although most definitely not the temporal cold war ... although on second thought, why not? They could finally explain who those factions were and how the whole thing ended. That was never properly done in Enterprise.

I would love that. Not because I'm a fan of the plotline, but I'm all for tying up loose ends and that remains one of the biggest.

Revisiting stuff from Enterprise could also be interesting - T'Pol could still be around in those days (T'Pau certainly was in TOS), and so could Phlox. For the human characters, we could meet descendants of them. It is a pity that so for no other Archer showed up (and it wouldn't have to be a descendant, it could just as well be a cousin or nephew).

I think it was confirmed that alternate captain Archer was alive during or at least shortly before the events of the 2009 Star Trek. Though living in a universe with that much lens flare might extend your lifespan, for all I know.

32 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think it was confirmed that alternate captain Archer was alive during or at least shortly before the events of the 2009 Star Trek. Though living in a universe with that much lens flare might extend your lifespan, for all I know.

Yeah, JJ overdid it a little. He even had crew members waving around additional lights to create more flares. Still, the movie looks amazing.

I think we reached peak sense flare with the recent Total Recall remake. Some of the scenes in that thing were pretty ridiculous. Don't feel bad if you haven't seen it. Most people didn't and it's shit. 

Am I the only one that thinks these early SNW episodes have been remarkably call-back-and-easter-egg free and it's actually kind of amazing? Well done Star Trek. Star Wars show runners take note. 

Did Roc Ingersol Samuel Kirk survive the episode? I assume he was one of the infected in sick bay but I didn't see him. I'm counting this as two for two episodes where he suffers some trauma. They can keep that up too. 

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

I would love that. Not because I'm a fan of the plotline, but I'm all for tying up loose ends and that remains one of the biggest.

Yeah, they could also revisit the Suliban, showing what happened to them. They could have settled on a colony world, either already being Federation members or joining it during SNW.

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

Unless they get Scott Bakula to play the role I'd say it would be pointless to have him as an old guy. The weirdo guest appearances of TOS stars (Sarek and Spock excluded) were all just that - weird.

Rewatching TOS right now I only now realized how much the first movie is just a rehash of 'The Changeling'. And, man, when they remastered TOS why couldn't they remove Nomad's wire. At times it is glaringly obvious.

Archived