Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

Well, maybe we could back it up a bit. Like, having charisma isn't something only pertaining to bedpost notches between the sexes [or those sexually attracted]. I could be too caught up in previous iterations of James T, but this new guy, his lack of IT stood out.  

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I dunno, people always say it’s a shame we didn’t get to see it, but constantly having to work around the no-video-communication rule would’ve got really tiresome. 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't think it's as problematic as you indicate.  I particularly don't think the actual "war" would have lasted too long.  As mentioned, there'd likely be shenanigans with proxys and such.  I think it could have been done well.  In the correct hands.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Kirk did have sex with a few women on TOS, none of whcih were green.

And you still haven't explained how that means he was totally the type to get down with green alien ladies while the SNW Kirk is not.

Did you see that Orion slave girl? Yes. Absolutely. In a second. Like I was trying to get the antidote out of her.  

I have yet to see an Orion woman who was less than a "7" and James Kirk is a living breathing human with a reputation, "for being a ladies man", which must have been legendary because it persists decades after his death. I presume he also has a functioning penis. This isn't rocket surgery.

Likely SNW Kirk  is similarly inclined, as he can fog a mirror and his eyes still work. I just don't see it happening. He's too skinny. His face is funny. Good chin tho. 

Well, not wanting to get into the discussion about whether that Kirk had enough sex appeal. I still thought he was weird. For one, visually he was too old (the actor is more than ten years older than the age Kirk should be timeline-wise) and yes, too skinny. Not even a remote similarity to a young Shatner, which made it doubly weird when he was somewhat trying to copy his mannerisms in rather forced way. I'm thinking Pine did a better job just being himself and having fun in the role.

The other thing that struck me as odd was how this Kirk instantly knew how to approach the situation just like in Balance of Terror with no time for his thinking process shown. That gave me the odd impression of him having a cheat sheet and just reading the answers to Pike. The thing is that Kirk's character in TOS was more or less just a soundboard for the other crew members making suggestions to and then deciding for the best possible action. As a character he was only really established in the movies when he came to terms with his arrogance and age. So basically as long as you give room to his thinking process, you can't do too much wrong with a young Kirk, but I felt that this was exactly what was missing in the episode. He was just far too instantly brilliant.

That's one thing that that comparison of the clips between "Balance of Terror" and this episode made clear -- KIrk ended up having a deal of dialog that came from others who were making suggestions. I guess it's true that it makes him seem like more of a wunderkind, but I can see the constraint the writers were working under to get through the "Balance of Terror" scenario in a recognizable way.

I didn't really think of the age issue. To be honest, William Shatner at 32-33 as he was in TOS looks a lot like a lot of 43-year-old actors tend to do these days -- healthier living, better skin care, better nutrition keeps that youthful glow longer. 

4 hours ago, Ran said:

That's one thing that that comparison of the clips between "Balance of Terror" and this episode made clear -- KIrk ended up having a deal of dialog that came from others who were making suggestions. I guess it's true that it makes him seem like more of a wunderkind, but I can see the constraint the writers were working under to get through the "Balance of Terror" scenario in a recognizable way.

I didn't really think of the age issue. To be honest, William Shatner at 32-33 as he was in TOS looks a lot like a lot of 43-year-old actors tend to do these days -- healthier living, better skin care, better nutrition keeps that youthful glow longer. 

Case in point: I didn't think Paul Wesley looked any older than TOS Kirk, but I thought Ethan Peck looked waaay younger than Leonard Nimoy in TOS season 1, even though they're very close in age.

8 hours ago, Toth said:

Well, not wanting to get into the discussion about whether that Kirk had enough sex appeal. I still thought he was weird. For one, visually he was too old (the actor is more than ten years older than the age Kirk should be timeline-wise) and yes, too skinny. Not even a remote similarity to a young Shatner, which made it doubly weird when he was somewhat trying to copy his mannerisms in rather forced way. I'm thinking Pine did a better job just being himself and having fun in the role.

Pine's Kirk is lots of fun and I really like him, but he's really not the same character as TOS Kirk at all.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Pine's Kirk is lots of fun and I really like him, but he's really not the same character as TOS Kirk at all.

Pine's Kirk, at least in the first film, makes me think that he's basically Shatner's Kirk as he was at the start of his Starfleet Academy years 14 years prior to TOS. I figure that sort of brashness and impulsivity was very much Kirk to begin with. But you don't get through the Academy with all that bravado untempered by some modicum of sense, and of course he spent a decade or more as a junior officer before getting his command and we meet him in TOS. Pine's Kirk, who's 25 in the first film IIRC, feels like his development has been arrested for some years compared to the TV version.

I like Pines as Kirk, but he feels like a somewhat exaggerated version of the character. Kirk often gets compared to as a cowboy, but in TOS he really wasn't. The cowboy Kirk, is more of the movie character, IMO

I just realized Pike's love interest who detained Una is not the admiral from Discovery. Cause she died. oops. 

They should bring Rain Wilson back as Mudd at some point. I wonder what happened to the Section 31 show / Michelle Yeoh's character.

It's weird to think they're still supposedly making another Chris Pine Star Trek movie. I'd rather they just stick to this continuity. Not something I would have said before SNW. 

I do wonder though, couldn't pike have prevented the accident and then retired? That way he's not in command of the enterprise and the future is ok? I think they implied that older Pike had tried lots of stuff and somehow it always killed Spock. That's way too fatey for my tastes. That's my whole problem with this "he knows it will happen and has to accept it" idea. Loved how they used it for this episode though. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I just realized Pike's love interest who detained Una is not the admiral from Discovery. Cause she died. oops. . 

Captain Batel from SNW is played by Melanie Scrofano (aka Wynonna Earp). I knew she looked familiar and had to check who the actress was.

The admiral from Discovery was at least about 20 years older and played by Jayne Brook.

Archived