Star Trek: Strange New Gorns

SpaceChampion

This show has been such a delight to watch. Man it's nice that Trek is allowed to have fun episodes like this again. The ending was so hearth felt as well. I just hope we get more episodes focused on Hemmer, as we go forward, I sort of love the guy and some of the scenes with him this week, really put a smile on my face.

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

This show has been such a delight to watch. Man it's nice that Trek is allowed to have fun episodes like this again. The ending was so hearth felt as well. I just hope we get more episodes focused on Hemmer, as we go forward, I sort of love the guy and some of the scenes with him this week, really put a smile on my face.

Lower Decks and that one Short Trek The Trouble With Edward were fun, for the record!

I liked the newest episode, although I think they overdid the 'severe illness' mcguffin there. It was a stretch that a divine being couldn't cure her completely when magical tech planet also didn't work.

A better - and more intriguing - ending could have been to have the adult daughter join the crew aside her dad. That would have been unexpected, not to mention the potential for future stories. Although she can still come back any time now.

I’ll break ranks and say I was a little disappointed with this episode. It’s respectable they attempted it, but it feels like something you’d be better off doing a few seasons in when we know the characters better.

Past Trek outings like this have used either established stories (Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood) or stuff more over the top (Captain Proton). This was just generic  fairy tale / fantasy stuff, and as such it wasn’t really that fun seeing most of the cast; Pike was entertaining as a coward and La’an as a princess, but other than that it didn’t really stretch anyone else. Chapel was just some healer, Spock was some guy, Uhura some Queen or something. It wasn’t absurd enough nor funny enough for me.

So the Gorn are basically Xenomorphs & Predators in one. Kewl!

What a tonal shift from the previous episode.

Spoiler

The show has done a good job keeping minor characters alive, so when the redshirts do need to die, it's because of them being put in extreme situations. This episode had a strong combination of classic Trek and modern Trek with elements of Aliens in there. They even had a Newt-like girl and Sam Kirk basically was Hudson (Bill Paxton) - game over, man, game over!

So with them killing off Hemmer, are we going to get Scotty for season 2 alongside Jim Kirk? I don't like that La'an has left the crew, I hope we see her again. 

There is still one episode to go.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've not seen any of SNW so I don't know how they've done the Gorn, but this isn't entirely new - the Mirror Universe episode of Enterprise showed that the Gorn have heat vision. But I do hope they've improved how they look - the Enterprise Gorn would genuinely be improved by replacing the mid-2000s CGI with the man in the suit from TOS.

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah. Very disappointed in how the Gorn have been presented...

Really? I wasn't mocking, I liked it. Maybe the CGI wasn't great, but it's interesting to see a monster-type species in Stark Trek.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Reveal hidden contents

The show has done a good job keeping minor characters alive, so when the redshirts do need to die, it's because of them being put in extreme situations. This episode had a strong combination of classic Trek and modern Trek with elements of Aliens in there. They even had a Newt-like girl and Sam Kirk basically was Hudson (Bill Paxton) - game over, man, game over!

So with them killing off Hemmer, are we going to get Scotty for season 2 alongside Jim Kirk? I don't like that La'an has left the crew, I hope we see her again. 

There is still one episode to go.

What is this crap!? I thought this was a return to old style trek. I demand 23 episodes a season! One can be a clip show.

44 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Really? I wasn't mocking, I liked it. Maybe the CGI wasn't great, but it's interesting to see a monster-type species in Stark Trek.

Having watched The Ready Room, it was surprising to find out the Gorn on the show were puppets, not CGI...

But my issue is taking a space faring race of seemingly considerable political power in the galaxy, akin to Klingons, Roumlans, and Cardassians, and reducing them to nothing more than Xenomorph stand ins...ones that can have three hatchling decimate a group of trained Starfleet personnel like they were nothing more than space chum...

This is another instance of playing around with existing canon, rather than simply respecting it.  It didn't have to be the Gorn. 

36 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But my issue is taking a space faring race of seemingly considerable political power in the galaxy, akin to Klingons, Roumlans, and Cardassians, and reducing them to nothing more than Xenomorph stand ins...ones that can have three hatchling decimate a group of trained Starfleet personnel like they were nothing more than space chum...

The Gorn were never on the level of the Klingons and Romulans. Maybe the Cardassians, although even then you'd have expected them to have shown up more often.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The Gorn were never on the level of the Klingons and Romulans. Maybe the Cardassians, although even then you'd have expected them to have shown up more often.

Sure. Not the Romulans or Klingons.  Those are Tier 1 adversaries.  Cardassia, the Tholians, the Gorn...they're the second tier.  But the point stands, that this rewriting of what appears to be the basic premise of the Gorn is disturbing. 

As much as I like this show...believe it or not, I do!  I'm truly hoping that this is set in a third timeline for certain, as I'm not sure it's meant to be the Prime timeline or not...

8 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Sure. Not the Romulans or Klingons.  Those are Tier 1 adversaries.  Cardassia, the Tholians, the Gorn...they're the second tier.  But the point stands, that this rewriting of what appears to be the basic premise of the Gorn is disturbing. 

As much as I like this show...believe it or not, I do!  I'm truly hoping that this is set in a third timeline for certain, as I'm not sure it's meant to be the Prime timeline or not...

We've never seen an adolescent Gorn before and we haven't seen an adult Gorn yet. And the Gorn's weakness is cold. As in, "you're relatively safe from them as long as you can see you breath" kind of cold. I don't know how that ranks "tier wise".

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

You know it!

"Sam is tougher than he looks." Yeah, no shit. He's got the scar tissue to prove it. Did you all se how he lost his shit because Spock wasn't losing his shit? The man's a mass. He goes to his quarters every night and cries into his pillow.

Pikes quarters are pretty swanky. His ready room is amazing. I was getting serious Mad Men vibes from that final scene for some reason. 

Prediction:

Spoiler

Montgomery Scott. Final Episode.

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

We've never seen an adolescent Gorn before and we haven't seen an adult Gorn yet. And the Gorn's weakness is cold. As in, "you're relatively safe from them as long as you can see you breath" kind of cold. I don't know how that ranks "tier 

Hide contents

We've see adult Gorn twice before.  Granted, one was in the 60s and subject to the costuming and limitations if that day and age.  But it established a bipedal lizard alien.

In Enterprise, the Gorn we see is also obviously bipedal, though more lizard like in its mobility, thanks to CGI.  

Of course, neither instance precludes a savage species that requires a host body to plant its eggs within for incubation...but such Xenomorph comparisons that SNW presents doesn't suggest a species capable of inventing a wheel, let alone warp capable space travel.  Based on what they've shown thus far. 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Of course, neither instance precludes a savage species that requires a host body to plant its eggs within for incubation...but such Xenomorph comparisons that SNW presents doesn't suggest a species capable of inventing a wheel, let alone warp capable space travel.  Based on what they've shown thus far. 

What about the human reproduction mechanism suggests a species capable of technological advancements? :P

Spoiler

Scotty? Ugh, no thank you. There’s already far too many characters who are boxed in with canon. Either remake TOS (but you know, don’t) or make a fresh series.

I’m with @Jaxom 1974 , it didn’t need to be the Gorn. It’s kinda stupid now that James Kirk survived for a second against an adult Gorn. 

Kinda surprised they killed the engineer, feels like it was quite a big deal having a blind cast member to then only make it 9 episodes. And were there any transporters working? Couldn’t they hold him (ala M’Benga’s daughter)?

I think the Gorn thing kind of works, since it seems clear that they go through different stages of development, being eventually less feral and more civilized than they were in that episode.

Didn't realize Hemmer's actor was blind ... but the character as such wasn't disabled since it was perfectly normal for his species to be effectively blind. I must say, Uhura's lines to him completely sucked - not only would she not have such a patronizing attitude in this era ... but you would just not talk like that to the member of a species where blindness is the rule, not an exception.

I mean - what comes next? Are folks going to pity Vulcans for 'not feeling emotions (properly)', for being 'emotional cripples', etc.?

Chapel's attitude towards Spock in that episode also kind of sucked. He may not be a full Vulcan, but he isn't human, either, and she doesn't understand what he is going through nor is she qualified to offer sage advice.

Even more so, since Surak's teaching are a philosophy and a mental technique - it is culture triumphing over biology and it is not restricted to just the Vulcan species. Others species can (try to) do it as well. Spock may feel different emotions than full Vulcans ... but him applying Surak's teachings to himself has nothing to do with his human or Vulcan physiology.

17 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Prediction:

Reveal hidden contents

Montgomery Scott. Final Episode.

Spoiler

I'd be less surprised if it turns out to be whichever Dax symbiot is supposed to be alive at this point because...reasons...

I'd rather they find a minor, but established somewhere somehow, character and elevate that person to be chief engineer...

Archived