Ukraine 12: When is this an existential threat?

Ser Scot A Ellison

12 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Ha. I believe that was the second reported use of a Starstreak in Ukraine.

Technically I believe the Su-57 is more advanced, but it's also not going to enter service due to its heavy use of overseas electrical components which are no longer available, and Russia doesn't seem in a hurry to actually risk the 3 or 4 they have in combat.

I think the west is running into problems and stronger headwinds with allies over how to apply sanctions. The latest round is a bit thin. Putting some sanctions on the biggest bank is probably the most notable thing and that won't move the needle much in terms of pressure on Moscow. Putting sanctions on individual family members of various regime personnel is also not very effective, especially since most of the ones announced today are based in Russia, so there's not much to it.

Even cutting off Russian coal, which everyone seemed on board with a couple of weeks ago when it was floated, has now run into controversy and Germany has asked to change the rules so they ban only new contracts rather than existing ones. That's led to some frustration, and people pointing out that the military aid provided to Ukraine in total since the war started is being outspent in money given to Russia on a daily basis in energy fees.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Mykolaiv police taking the long distance approach to Russia Moving violations.

Like how US Navy and Air Force pilots wrote messages to Saddam on their bombs during Desert Storm, maybe these guys can tape traffic violation tickets on their missiles.

At least here in the USA various financial, banking and investments agents, consultants, CEOs, etc. are gravely explaining why the financial sanctions is a failed policy since so much of Russian funds are in the investment pots of US pension plans, so on and so forth and cannot be identified and separately removed.  Plus it would be VERY VERY VERY bad for those investment bundles to do so because it would cause losses to those whose pensions, insurance etc. were in those bundles.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Something heartwarming in the face of all the grim news.  A dog found his person in Kyiv:

Reminds me of that story of Russian soldiers taking care of the dogs of the people who fled from them in terror. Russia tried to frame it as sweet.

@Rippounet

I would like to apologize.  I implied that your point about the rationality of the Russian dictator implied it could mean ethno-nationalism could also be “reasonable”.  Your point is more subtle than that and I should have recognized that.

Rationality and reasonablity are not truely co-extensive.  To elaborate:

I see the difference between “rational” (internally consistent based upon the assumptions used by the person making the assertion) and “reasonable” (the assumptions themselves are reality based and also internally consistent).  And I apologize for conflating those points.  Putin is “rational” to a point but his assumptions, in my earnest opinion are not “reasonable”.  

I reiterate my apologies and with the clarification above hope we can move forward.

Add another asshole move to the list - Russia has been using POM-3 mines, which are mines with sensors that detect people walking nearby and detonate in the air. Such mines have been found and disposed off around Kharkiv. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10670465/Russia-using-banned-landmines-Kharkiv-campaign-group-says.html

Apparently the peace talks have been carrying on throughout the whole thing and Ukraine and Russia continue to discuss areas where they have come into agreement, which I find flabbergasting considering the invective going on elsewhere. Apparently the Turkish talks are still forming the basis for discussions.

Lavrov has described the talks as stalled and some of the Ukrainian positions as unacceptable, which led to an amusing slapdown by the Ukrainians who said how would he know, he's not involved. Reportedly, Lavrov wanted more time for diplomacy for the invasion but was overruled by Putin, and has been somewhat sidelined ever since.

Russia suspended from the UN Human Rights Council. 93 in favour, 24 against, 58 abstentions.

Interestingly, Hungary and Serbia voted for the motion. China voted against, but interestingly added a caveat that it was only voting against it now because it believed an investigation was needed to establish more facts and it might interrupt the peace process.

India and Pakistan abstained.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Can we get a more reputable news source than the effing daily fail?

It was reported by The New York Times, too, but I don't have a subscription to it so couldn't link. I mean I saw it first on Yahoo. I could have linked that. :D

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The US Senate passed a revival of the WWII era Lend/Lease Act to get Ukraine the weapons it needs.  Will the 63 pro-Russian Dictator Republicans in the House attempt to stall this revival?

The House minority has almost no ability to stall anything. If the House doesn't pass the bill before going on recess that's entirely on Pelosi.

Archived