What Are You Reading? Second Quarter 2022

Starkess

Just put a hold on that book, thanks!

I finished The City & The City. I thought I hadn’t completed it and borrowed it again, waiting for that part I hadn’t heard, but it was totally a re-listen. Such an interesting setting created by China Mieville. I wish there was a follow-up book, but I guess once the city/city concept is presented doing more stories about breach would be, I dunno, strained? Stretched? But I liked Inspector Borlu.

A few years ago, I made the mistake of reading the Fitz and the Fool series by Robin Hobb without first checking to see what else existed in that universe. Partway through the first book, I realized that I had started with the 3rd or maybe even 4th trilogy in the universe. I continued on anyway. That series was fine, though the characters were a bit mopey for me.

I've never gone back to the original series because I know the grand arcs as they were revealed in later series ... but I recently started Assassin's Apprentice. Similar voice but far less emotionally mopey and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm pretty resistant to reading something if I know where it's going but I'm glad that I pushed through that habit on this one.

I should have read it years ago, but here am I and there are worse places to be.

The first Fitz trilogy is my favorite!! Hope you enjoy it :)

I just finished listening to Little Fires Everywhere, which I didn't like much. Long and boring and sanctimonious. And weirdly antagonistic to adoption? Wasn't expecting that. I had also read Celeste Ng's previous book (Everything I Never Told You) and thought it was okay but not great. Have now confirmed that Ng's work is just not my thing.

Just got my hold on This Is How You Lose the Time War in, so I'll be listening to that next!

5 hours ago, Starkess said:

Just got my hold on This Is How You Lose the Time War in, so I'll be listening to that next!

I really enjoyed that one!  Hope you like it!!!

Wending my way through The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl...third in the Athena Club series by Theodora Goss.  I don't know if it's spectacular literature, but I remain a sucker for anything that pulls together different aspects of Victorian literature and gives it the some twists.  Thus I continue to read this... 

On 7/2/2022 at 11:14 AM, Ser Not Appearing said:

I recently started Assassin's Apprentice. 

I devoured this pretty quickly. The end with certain people avoiding all personal consequence and other secrets not spreading felt a bit forced but I can forgive that.

On to book 2.

Archived