Dragons of Deceit/Fate

Rhom

The old topic about the lawsuit is archived, so I couldn’t thread necro it. :dunno: 

1) If you’re gonna pull this shit… at least get Larry Elmore to draw the cover.  Dude lives thirty minutes from here; I’ll go ask if you need me to.

2) If the old preview blurb that disappeared is really the thing they went with (which is what I’m hearing) then I worry that the cancellation that lead to the lawsuit may have been due to the book being actual trash.

Edited by Rhom

Blurb:

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman return to the unforgettable world of the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance series as a new heroine—desperate to restore her beloved father to life—sets off on a quest to change time.

Destina Rosethorn—as her name implies—believes herself to be a favored child of destiny. But when her father dies in the War of the Lance, she watches her carefully constructed world come crashing down. She loses not only her beloved father but also the legacy he has left her: the family lands and castle. To save her father, she hatches a bold plan—to go back in time and prevent his death.

First, she has to secure the Device of Time Journeying, last known to be in the possession of the spirited kender Tasslehoff Burrfoot. But to change time, she’ll need another magical artifact—the most powerful and dangerous artifact ever created. Destina’s quest takes her from the dwarven kingdom of Thorbardin to the town of Solace and beyond, setting in motion a chain of disastrous events that threaten to divert the course of the River of Time, alter the past, and forever change the future.

"Key Selling Points" from the Edelweiss catalog:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=9781984819321

• ICONIC AND HISTORIC BRAND: Dragonlance was first created in 1984, when the gaming company that made Dungeons & Dragons began publishing a series of novels that were inspired by a D&D campaign. Since its inception, this brand and the original visionaries behind it—Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman—have sold millions of copies worldwide and brought generations of new readers to the genre.
  • A PROVEN FRANCHISE WITH A LOYAL FAN BASE: Dungeons & Dragons has been the number one tabletop role-playing game worldwide since its creation in the 1970s. In 2020 alone, the franchise grew by 26%—their 8th consecutive year of growth.
  • UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO APPEAL TO READERS: These new Dragonlance novels will appeal to not only those readers who grew up loving Dragonlance but also a whole new generation of readers and D&D gamers who did not.
  • A NEW TWIST ON BELOVED CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS: These novels return to the fan-favorite characters that appeared in the two trilogies that formed the core of the Dragonlance phenomenon, Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance Legends, allowing dedicated fans to revisit everything that made the books so special to them.
  • ALL NEW ENDPAPER MAPS: We will be creating all-new maps of the Dragonlance world, which will appear for the first time in this series.

Also:

"She [Weis] and Hickman are working on future novels in this series."

12 hours ago, Rhom said:
2) If the old preview blurb that disappeared is really the thing they went with (which is what I’m hearing) then I worry that the cancellation that lead to the lawsuit may have been due to the book being actual trash.

I think the fact that Weis and Hickman have not written a good Dragonlance novel this century and possibly not since the 1980s might be a more concerning flag about its quality level.

Edited by Werthead

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think the fact that Weis and Hickman have not written a good Dragonlance novel this century and possibly not since the 1980s might be a more concerning flag about its quality level.

Fair concern.

The books were never great literature; but they were entertaining fluff.  And even reading them when I was older had some good nostalgia flavor.  Nothing about this looks worth my time sadly.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I just read the second of the Lost Chronicles...I'm not certain it was "good" either, but it did entertain and helped fill some holes in the original narrative.  The Lost Chronicles actually read, in some ways, more like the very first novel, as a travelogue of the early campaigning that was done at TSR when they were developing Dragonlance as a whole...

And I'm just enough of a sucker that I'll know I'll be picking this one up...though I don't know how they go about making this work...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I just read the second of the Lost Chronicles...I'm not certain it was "good" either, but it did entertain and helped fill some holes in the original narrative.  The Lost Chronicles actually read, in some ways, more like the very first novel, as a travelogue of the early campaigning that was done at TSR when they were developing Dragonlance as a whole...

And I'm just enough of a sucker that I'll know I'll be picking this one up...though I don't know how they go about making this work...

Yeah, they were in the "nostalgic fun" category for me.

And I don't either...

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The blurb does sound a bit like Dragonlance fan-fiction, although I could probably say the same about many of the non-Weis and Hickman Dragonlance books.

27 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The blurb does sound a bit like Dragonlance fan-fiction, although I could probably say the same about many of the non-Weis and Hickman Dragonlance books.

Oh sure.  Though there was a semblance of editorial oversight back in the day...some attempts at cohesion.  And again, while most of it is more for sake of nostalgia, then any literary masterworks, some of the later stuff from Wies and Hickman did seem to try to at least sell the idea that the Fifth Age stuff could be worked around and sort retconned out...

But my question is how do they write ANOTHER tale set within the (apparently) post War of the Lance, that doesn't butt up against what they've already done?  And love Tas or hate him, do we really need a time travelling Kender off on an adventure with another set of new people?

41 minutes ago, williamjm said:

How dare you suggest that Kitiara and Sturm flying off to the moon in a gnomish flying machine and meeting dragons half a decade before anyone knew they were around was little more than fan fiction?!!?

How dare you sir!??!  

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

How dare you suggest that Kitiara and Sturm flying off to the moon in a gnomish flying machine and meeting dragons half a decade before anyone knew they were around was little more than fan fiction?!!?

How dare you sir!??!  

Obviously Darkness and Light is entirely consistent with the rest of the books and it's entirely believable that Sturm never thought to mention any of this to the others.

26 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Obviously Darkness and Light is entirely consistent with the rest of the books and it's entirely believable that Sturm never thought to mention any of this to the others.

What?  And piss off Tanis?  "Yo, T...you know when we all went our own way?  I totally got with your girl, man.  She's a freak."  :P

Seriously though...what was that all about anyway...?

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What?  And piss off Tanis?  "Yo, T...you know when we all went our own way?  I totally got with your girl, man ON THE MOON She's a freak."  :P

Seriously though...what was that all about anyway...?

9 hours ago, Crazy Old Guy said:

What the hell is Dragonlance?

Assuming you’re serious…

It was shared world fiction originating in the 1980’s.  It was seen as a way to launch a product line of dedicated DnD campaign modules with a series of novels.

For many who grew up in the 80s/early 90s it was a gateway drug into fantasy fiction literature.

• 4 months later...

Welp, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on ordering it.  Sitting on my desk in all its generic fantasy cover art splendor.

I'm midway through book three of Shadows of the Apt though, so I will need to finish that up before I delve into this... whatever it is.  :dunno: 

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

Reading it right now and it's really so-so for the first 150 pages. Qualitywise, it's pretty much reminiscent of their last Dragonlance project. So, yeah. . .

Hardcore fans will likely find something to like about it. More demanding readers, well. . .

Hopefully things will pick up in the second half of the novel.

I actually prefer the first half because it feels more "slice of life in Krynn" and away from the main action.

1 hour ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I actually prefer the first half because it feels more "slice of life in Krynn" and away from the main action.

I doubt that readers, even hardcore fans, will be happy paying 30$ (40$ in Canada) for a slice of life in Krynn featuring a relatively dumb main protagonist and endless descriptions of things that don't need to be described. . . :/

1 hour ago, Lord Patrek said:

I doubt that readers, even hardcore fans, will be happy paying 30$ (40$ in Canada) for a slice of life in Krynn featuring a relatively dumb main protagonist and endless descriptions of things that don't need to be described. . . :/

I did and I really enjoyed it.

I'm here for old friends and good writing. The epicness is not the point but the characters, IMHO.