question regarding major character death *spoilers*

Melnussish

Hello everyone this is my first time posting in the forums i wanted to wait until i had finished the books which i just did about 10 mins ago but i have some questions biggest one is why does everyone think jon is dead? isnt it possible he just passed out and in the next book hes still alive just wounded unless i missed something it didnt say he died also am i the only one that now has a severe dislike of seleyse baratheon?

"It only so happens your friend here is only mostly dead. There's a big difference between all dead and mostly dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. All dead, well there's only one thing you can do... Go through his pockets and look for loose change!"

On 4/7/2022 at 4:16 PM, Melnussish said:

ok thank you guys i was just really confused i watch alot of theory videos and none i see seem to think hes not dead so i thought i had missed something

The only thing you're missing is the opportunity to start a potentially interesting new thread. Run with your predictions about what will happen next if Jon is only wounded. There are already endless discussions about what will happen if he's actually dead. Will his spirit warg into Ghost? Will Melisandre resurrect him? Will he become a wight? Does this free him of his vows to the Night's Watch? Etc., etc., etc. Try it from the other angle. You might bring some fresh perspective to the discussions.

Now your Watch begins... welcome.

Given the wounds Jon suffered, death seems the most likely outcome. How long it sticks in this world of magic is debated.

As for Selysse? She's pretty unlikable. I'm more surprised she has such an ardent following with the Queen's men to be honest. I don't think that would be a factor absent faith in the Lord of Light.

On 4/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, Melnussish said:

Hello everyone this is my first time posting in the forums i wanted to wait until i had finished the books which i just did about 10 mins ago but i have some questions biggest one is why does everyone think jon is dead? isnt it possible he just passed out and in the next book hes still alive just wounded unless i missed something it didnt say he died also am i the only one that now has a severe dislike of seleyse baratheon?

Jon was assassinated for a very good reason.  For the good of the watch and the survival of Westeros.  The marriage of Arya Stark to the Bolton heir messed with Jon's head to the point where could no longer function as the commander of the forces tasked with defending Westeros from the Others.  His ethics as a leader were already in serious doubt with his differential treatment of Slynt and Rayder.  His attempt to lead the wildlings to raid the Boltons sealed his fate. 

The description of that chapter would indicate his passing.  But we already know that the dead can be brought back for a short time to finish what they need to do.  Jon could choose to do right and defend the wall.  He could easily choose wrongly and pick up where he left off.  He was readying to attack the Boltons for his sister moments before he was assassinated. 

Archived