Strong women, and the men who love them

Bowen 747

Strong women make up the ranks of the main characters.  The women pushed the plot in many ways; but I wish to avoid going too far back in history as that will make this post unnecessarily long.  Suffice to say that we begin with Lyanna Stark and the two (or three) possible men who loved her.  I shall then proceed to the most recent examples.

Lyanna Stark was loved possibly by one or all of these men.  Brandon, Rhaegar, and Arthur.  It goes without saying that any romantic combination was forbidden and would lead to problems for many people.  The least disruptive to the social system was Rhaegar.  Targaryen princes were no strangers to having lovers on the side and even having bastards.  Brandon sleeping with his sister would expose the Starks to social criticism and their haughty sense of their own honor would have been wounded.  But it is a romantic affair with Arthur which best fits the theme of a woman's love causing a man to forsake his duty. 

Arya Stark is very much loved by Lord Commander Jon Snow.  It is that love for Arya which pushed Jon to discard ethics as well as his vows in an effort to take her away from her husband.  This tragedy unfolding was obvious to the reader because the love interest was across the Narrow Sea.  Jon's betrayal was all for nothing it seems.  The Lord Commander bent ethics, laws, and morals because of the love he holds for Arya. 

Daenerys Targaryen was loved by Khal Drogo.  She not only earned his love but his respect with her sharp intelligence.  It helped that she is very beautiful and sensual.  This marriage would have made problems for Khal Drogo had he not died.  Because you see, the Princess would eventually mature into a woman and her moral values would not allow her to let the khalasar continue selling slaves.  She would have found a means to steer the Khal and the khalasar towards a different direction.  The khalasar was going to disband whichever way the story took.  Ser Jorah is in love with her.  Might the big Andal do something of questionable morality in order to help his young Queen?  I think so. 

When I read the first paragraph I thought this would be an interesting premise. I thought it would be a good read and discussion. Especially since it is something that I havent seen be discussed before.

But then their is this……

10 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

Brandon sleeping with his sister

And I just lost all interest on this topic. Just by the title alone, I genuinely thought it would be a good thread to talk about. But by reading that sentence I realised it’s just another troll thread. Along with everything else.

Really sad man. I had high hopes:closedeyes:

A kinda naive presented topic, but sure, there are a lot of 'strong women' in GRRM's works, and in ASOIAF aswell. 

As for your picks, I would doubt about Lyanna, since her personality has been described with several (often) contradictory terms. 'Stubborn' comes to me more quickly than 'strong'.

I would also set in Alysanne Blackwood, who married Cregan Stark. There is little known about their relationship but I am curious on how it was between this fierce, fearless woman with a bawdy tongue and good ol' stern Stark, who had half the realm narrowing its butt cheeks in the Hour of the Wolf. I reaaally would like GRRM to further more words on this explosive couple.

11 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

As for your picks, I would doubt about Lyanna, since her personality has been described with several (often) contradictory terms. 'Stubborn' comes to me more quickly than 'strong'.

The picks were chosen with the purpose of antagonising

But I do agree that lyanna dosent represent what our society describes as a strong woman. Shes more of a stubborn fool tbh. 

14 minutes ago, Jon Fossoway said:

I would also set in Alysanne Blackwood, who married Cregan Stark. There is little known about their relationship but I am curious on how it was between this fierce, fearless woman with a bawdy tongue and good ol' stern Stark, who had half the realm narrowing its butt cheeks in the Hour of the Wolf. I reaaally would like GRRM to further more words on this explosive couple.

Yeah this is an interesting premise. Cregan definitely fell in love with her, or atleast admired her bravery. This being explored more would be great.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:12 AM, Bowen 747 said:

Strong women make up the ranks of the main characters.  The women pushed the plot in many ways; but I wish to avoid going too far back in history as that will make this post unnecessarily long.  Suffice to say that we begin with Lyanna Stark and the two (or three) possible men who loved her.  I shall then proceed to the most recent examples.

Lyanna Stark was loved possibly by one or all of these men.  Brandon, Rhaegar, and Arthur.  It goes without saying that any romantic combination was forbidden and would lead to problems for many people.  The least disruptive to the social system was Rhaegar.  Targaryen princes were no strangers to having lovers on the side and even having bastards.  Brandon sleeping with his sister would expose the Starks to social criticism and their haughty sense of their own honor would have been wounded.  But it is a romantic affair with Arthur which best fits the theme of a woman's love causing a man to forsake his duty. 

Arya Stark is very much loved by Lord Commander Jon Snow.  It is that love for Arya which pushed Jon to discard ethics as well as his vows in an effort to take her away from her husband.  This tragedy unfolding was obvious to the reader because the love interest was across the Narrow Sea.  Jon's betrayal was all for nothing it seems.  The Lord Commander bent ethics, laws, and morals because of the love he holds for Arya. 

Daenerys Targaryen was loved by Khal Drogo.  She not only earned his love but his respect with her sharp intelligence.  It helped that she is very beautiful and sensual.  This marriage would have made problems for Khal Drogo had he not died.  Because you see, the Princess would eventually mature into a woman and her moral values would not allow her to let the khalasar continue selling slaves.  She would have found a means to steer the Khal and the khalasar towards a different direction.  The khalasar was going to disband whichever way the story took.  Ser Jorah is in love with her.  Might the big Andal do something of questionable morality in order to help his young Queen?  I think so. 

Because love is the death of duty and honor.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:12 AM, Bowen 747 said:

Bloodraven was strong and did not allow the love he had for Shiera to distract him from serving the Targaryens. 

Archived