Viserys's Gift

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

I started a thread very similar to this a few years back but didn't get must interest in it. Seeing that we seem to have mostly a whole new group of people on the forum I thought I'd try again. 

This has nagged me since I've first read it. So Ilyrio brokers the marriage contract between Dany & Drogo right? He tells Viserys Drogo will take Daenerys as his bride & in return will give Viserys an army. BUT not really "in return" because Dothraki don't operate like that. They accept gifts & give gifts in return. 

The first mention of what Dany is being sold for comes from Viserys: 

"We won't need his whole khalasar," ..."Ten thousand, that would be enough, I could sweep the Seven Kingdoms with ten thousand Dothraki screamers. The realms will rise for it's rightful king..." 

Later, after Dany first set eyes on Drogo & in fear begged Viserys to take her home, Viserys gets angry & asks Dany how she suggests they go home when the usurpers have stolen their home from them. Dany says she doesn't know: 

"I do," he said sharply. "We go home with an army, sweet sister. With Khal Drogo's army, that is how we go home. And if you must wed him and bed him for that, you will." He smiled at her. "I'd let his whole khalasar fuck you if need be, sweet sister, all forty thousand men, and their horses too if that was what it took to get my army. Be grateful it is only Drogo. In time you may even learn to like him. Now dry your eyes. Illyrio is bringing him over, and he will not see you crying." 

Drogo apparently accepts Dany because the next chapter is their wedding. Viserys again is the one to mention the "gift" 

"He can have her tomorrow, if he likes," her brother said. He glanced over at Dany, and she lowered her eyes. "So long as he pays the price."

Illyrio waved a languid hand in the air, rings glittering on his fat fingers. "I have told you, all is settled. Trust me. The khal has promised you a crown, and you shall have it." 

"Yes, but when?" 

"When the khal chooses," Illyrio said. "He will have the girl first, and after they are wed he must make his procession across the plains and present her to the dosh khaleen at Vaes Dothrak. After that, perhaps. If the omens favor war." 

Viserys seethed with impatience. "I piss on Dothraki omens. The Usurper sits on my father's throne. How long must I wait?" 

Illyrio gave a massive shrug. "You have waited most of your life, great king. What is another few months, another few years?" 

Ser Jorah gives his two cents as well: 

"I counsel you to be patient, Your Grace. The Dothraki are true to their word, but they do things in their own time. A lesser man may beg a favor from the khal, but must never presume to berate him." 

We know something is up from the beginning. Viserys thinks he is going to be gifted an army. He says he will lead them himself. The problem is, while Viserys is too ignorant to understand, Illyrio & Drogo & every single member of that khalasar know they will never, ever, ever follow Viserys. Dothraki follow strength, they are not gifted to the highest bidder. That begs the question - what was promised? Was anything promised? It seems the customary way would be for something, or in this case someone, to be gifted to the Khal & the Khal, in his own time to give a gift of his own choosing. Clearly Illyrio is lying. "All is settled" and it may be but not in the way he is telling Viserys. 

It's unclear if Viserys seems to think he will be given an army to lead on his own or if he believes Khal Drogo will take his khalasar across the poison sea to win it for him but both are equally as unlikely as the other. As stated above Dothraki aren't "gifted" & we know Drogo had no intention on crossing the poison sea for Viserys, he only agrees to do so for Daenerys after her life is threatened. 

So, what was promised? Anything? I don't think so. It's pretty well stated how the Dothraki operate & it doesn't fit in that Drogo would agree ahead of time to give something in return for something else. Illyrio did broker the marriage though, so you would think he was given something for the deal. Maybe he was, but not by Drogo? The singular time Drogo mentions anything about Viserys getting a crown is when Viserys brandishes naked steel in their sacred city & points his blade at Dany's navel:

He laid the point of his sword between Daenerys's breasts and slid it downward, over the curve of her belly. "I want what I came for," he told her. "I want the crown he promised me. He bought you, but he never paid for you. Tell him I want what I bargained for, or I'm taking you back. You and the eggs both. He can keep his bloody foal. I'll cut the bastard out and leave it for him." the sword poing pushed through her silks and pricked at her navel. Viserys was weeping, she saw; weeping and laughing, both at the same time, this man who had onece been her brother. 

Distantly, as from far away, Dany heard her handmaid Jhiqui sobbing in fear, pleading that she dared not translate, that the khal would bind her and drag her behind his horse all the way up the Mother of Moutains. She put her arm around the girl. "Don't be afraid," she said. "I shall tell him." 

She did not know if she had enough words, yet when she was done Khal Drogo spoke a few brusque sentences in Dothraki, and she knew he understood. The sun of her life stepped down from the high bench. "What did he say?" the man who had been her brother asked flinching. 

It had grown so silent in the hall that she could hear the bells in Khal Drogo's hair, chiming softly with each step he took. His bloodriders followed him, like three copper shadows. Daenerys had gone cold all over. "He says you shall have a splendid golden crown that ment shall tremble to behold."

And indeed he did. 

My questions to you are:

1. Did Drogo promise anything? If so what? 

2. Did Drogo even know Viserys expected an army or a crown? 

3. What was in this for Illyrio? 

Good questions.  Indeed why would Drogo agree to turn over 10,000 of his Khal and weaken his own standing among the Khals?  Why would any Dothraki follow someone they consider to be a weak leader?  Viserys seems to think he's prchasing a bunch of sellswords.

So yes, I'd go with Illyrio stringing Viserys along for his own purposes.  Especially since we know he and Varys are backing Aegon to return to Westeros.  Viserys isn't even the back-up plan.

So the question becomes what is Illyrio up to and what is he getting out of it?  

2 hours ago, Lyanna&lt;3Rhaegar said:

My questions to you are:

I think the initial deal was sound. Drogo did not know Viserys when Illyrio brokered this deal, so he was not aware of how weak a leader he was. But all Drogo promised, according to Illyrio, was a crown, with the understanding that this will involve an army of some sort. Viserys is the one who pulled the 10,000 figure from thin air, so who knows what Drogo had in mind. In all likelihood, it would have been much smaller, and mostly low-level fighters that he could afford to lose.

Illyrio's game is a little opaque, but I'll give you my two cents. First, I don't buy this story about wanting to be Aegon's Master of Coin for one second. Illyrio is one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world. Why would he go through all this time and expense just to be a servant to some snotty kid?

My guess is that Illyrio is looking to bring down the Iron Bank. With the bank gone, Braavos ceases to be a military and commercial power on the Narrow Sea, and Pentos can shred the peace treaty it signed under dubious circumstances all those years ago that prevent it from fielding its own army and blocks rich men like Illyrio from getting even richer selling slaves.

The plan is to orchestrate a run on the bank, just like what happened to the Rogares. The way to do this is to get it to overextend its loans so that it cannot pay either the interest on deposits or the deposits themselves when someone wants to withdraw funds. Once that happens and a critical mass of people lose confidence that their money is safe, the bank goes down within a day and the Braavosi economy with it. Remember, Braavos uses a proxy currency, the iron coin, that is backed by the bank's gold. If the bank goes, the coin is worth only the iron it's made of.

A key part of this plan is the loan to the Iron Throne, of course, which Illyrio arranged through his agent in King's Landing, Littlefinger. This loan is likely to be far larger than anything the bank issued among the free cities, since the Iron Throne oversees the economy of an entire continent, not just one city. Now that LF has left and the truth is evident -- that the crown's coffers are empty -- the time is almost right to spring the trap. The money that Petyr has embezzled from the crown has been redeposited in the bank under numerous proxy depositors. Starting with a whispering campaign that the IB will never see its money from the Iron Throne again, no matter who becomes king, he sends an army of depositors into the bank demanding to withdraw their money, which the bank doesn't have. When the windows close, panic sets in, the bank executives grab what they can and split, and the bank collapses.

After that, Petyr can do what he likes with what's left of the seven kingdoms.

No he didn't promise; that would make it a commercial transaction, which as you said, the Dothraki don't do. But he is honour bound to return a gift of equal value. If Drogo gives something that Viserys openly despises, that makes Dany look like trash too, even with the dragon eggs thrown into the balance.

Yes. Illyrio is subtle enough to make that clear, without openly bargaining.

Like you say, Drogo isn't going to hand over his khalassar. But he could conquer Westeros (with much kudos and booty to him), and 'gift' Viserys the Iron Throne afterwards. That's how he thinks:

"And to Rhaego son of Drogo, the stallion who mounts the world, to him also I pledge a gift. To him I will give this iron chair his mother's father sat in. I will give him Seven Kingdoms. I, Drogo, khal, will do this thing."

Excellent question!

Illyrio serves a master who knows about the prophecy of Azor Ahai.  He was instructed to follow a plan to make Azor Ahai happen.  His master told him to make the wedding happen and give the eggs to the Khaleesi.  

I thought that the understanding would have been that the Dothraki would essentially work as mercenaries on Viserys' behalf but this doesn't really bear out when you consider the Dothraki aversion to the water and no evidence existing of Drogo having told his people this was something they were preparing to do. Honestly if it weren't for the inclusion of the dragon eggs I would assume that Iilyrio very cynically put Drogo and Viserys together to get rid of V in favour of his chosen pretender Faegon.  That Dany would spend her life marries to some barbarian in the east or die alongside her brother or her husband would just be a neatly cut loose end. Would Illyrio see the eggs as disposable?  I assume no, but he may see them differently

1 hour ago, Wisconsin said:

Illyrio serves a master who knows about the prophecy of Azor Ahai.  He was instructed to follow a plan to make Azor Ahai happen.  His master told him to make the wedding happen and give the eggs to the Khaleesi.  

I think this is getting closer to the point.  I'm going to say that Viserys has the right to arrange Dany's marriage and Illyrio needs him to for that purpose. 

4 hours ago, Lyanna&lt;3Rhaegar said:

My questions to you are:

1. I think that Drogo's promise hinged on the promise that was made to him. I think it goes back to the Stallion Who Mounts the World business. Why did Drogo choose/decide to marry the penniless daughter of a king and a dynasty that was deposed? 

2. I don't know what Drogo expected. But we know that Illyrio did not want Viserys on that journey to Vaes Dothrak. He wanted him to stay put. Drogo must have been aware of the plan from the start, especially when we read the Lost Lord, ADwD. The expectations from everyone, from the Golden Company to Jon Connington was that Viserys was joining them with the Drogo and his horse. I personally don't think that Viserys was going to be part of those plans for very long. Nobody respects Viserys, including Illyrio. So I very much doubt Viserys was going to be allowed to continue on this journey without some unfortunate accident happening to him at some point.

3. I know that everybody believes that lllyrio is Aegon's father. I don't. I think Aegon is very much the real deal. Illyrio seems to be a worshipper of the Lord of Light, which would make things really interesting when we know that the red priests can read the flames and that the prophecy that's driving them is the same one that's been driving the Targaryens for centuries. 

It was all a lie from the beginning. The Dothraki go around demanding tribute from people and sacking their cities if they don't pay enough. So here comes Khal Drogo to Pentos with one of the largest khalasars seen in a long time. Why do you think he was there? The magisters are showering him with gifts and looking to pay him off so he'll take his khalasar and go. Look at how Illyrio tries to downplay all this with Viserys and Daenerys.

"It is not that we fear these barbarians," Illyrio would explain with a smile. "The Lord of LIght would hold our city walls against a million Dothraki, or so the red priests promise . . . yet why take chances, when their friendship comes so cheap?"

Daenerys is just one of the gifts being offered up to Drogo and Illyrio is stringing Viserys along making him think he's actually doing Viserys some great service here. Marrying Daenerys to Drogo is actually doubly convenient for Illyrio. She's an attractive gift that doesn't actually cost him anything and it safely gets Daenerys out of the way and far from the Seven Kingdoms before it's time to bring out fAegon.

On a side note, Illyrio kept telling Viserys not to go with Drogo but Viserys insisted. I'm sure Illyrio was concerned about Viserys potentially irritating and pissing Drogo off when the whole point was to placate Drogo and get him to go away happy. Also, Illyrio couldn't be sure how Drogo would react if Viserys kept running his mouth off about this supposed deal that didn't really exist.

Drogo promising to provide a crown for Viserys is an important clue. Every "king" who is crowned tends to die soon. Renly crowns himself. Robb Stark's bannermen hear about Renly's crown and insist that Robb be crowned as well. Both Renly and Robb die fairly soon. Baelon Greyjoy decides to be a king again and he is soon dead. Joffrey is crowned shortly before his wedding feast.

Why did the Targaryens manage to live for years as crowned monarchs? Why did Robert Baratheon rule as the crowned king for many years? I can only guess that there are true kings who can survive being crowned. (Although Robert tells Ned that he felt alive before taking the throne and dead afterward.) Or maybe there is another element of the magic recipe that allows a king to survive being crowned and we need more examples to figure out why some die and some survive.

Joffrey gives us clues that might help us to understand the gift that Drogo gave to Viserys:

"Sit," Joff commanded, gesturing her to the empty seat beside his own. "Have you heard? The Beggar King is dead."

"Who?" For a moment Sansa was afraid he meant Robb.

"Viserys. The last son of Mad King Aerys. He's been going about the Free Cities since before I was born, calling himself a king. Well, Mother says the Dothraki finally crowned him. With molten gold." He laughed. "That's funny, don't you think? The dragon was their sigil. It's almost as good as if some wolf killed your traitor brother. Maybe I'll feed him to wolves after I've caught him. Did I tell you, I intend to challenge him to single combat?"

"I should like to see that, Your Grace." More than you know. Sansa kept her tone cool and polite, yet even so Joffrey's eyes narrowed as he tried to decide whether she was mocking him.

ACoK, Sansa I

The king turned to Grand Maester Pycelle. "And I want Robb Stark's head too. Write to Lord Frey and tell him. The king commands. I'm going to have it served to Sansa at my wedding feast."

"Sire," Ser Kevan said, in a shocked voice, "the lady is now your aunt by marriage."

ASoS, Tyrion VI

He had wrapped his cloak around her shoulders and sworn to protect her, but that was as cruel a jape as the crown the Freys had placed atop the head of Robb Stark's direwolf after they'd sewn it onto his headless corpse.

ASoS, Tyrion VII

So Viserys is compared to Robb Stark. Joffrey tells us that the gold crown (equivalent to gold coins known as dragons) killed Viserys. He jokes that this would be like a wolf killing Robb Stark. He also says he wants Sansa to eat Robb's head. Oddly, I think this is most like the Martell family meal after the head of Gregor Clegane is sent to them in Dorne: "For the sweet, each guest was served a skull of spun sugar. When the crust was broken, they found sweet custard inside and bits of plum and cherry" (ADwD, The Watcher).

After Joffrey's descriptions of his wishes for Robb's head, we read that the Freys put a crown on Robb Stark's beheaded direwolf. Wait, crowning the dead wolf doesn't quite sound like the same thing as Viserys being crowned with molten gold. Readers know that Robb's direwolf is named Grey Wind. Have the Freys just crowned the wind of winter by crowning Robb's direwolf? If so, big mistake; huge.

Maybe the crowning of the wolf is not so different, however, from the crowning of Viserys. Dany's brother repeatedly claims that he is the dragon that she does not want to wake. Could the "crowning" of Viserys be the equivalent of "waking" him?

I think it is. And I think this explains what Illyrio is doing as he manipulates the circumstances surrounding Dany.

Illyrio is playing in the real-world Game of Thrones. His strategy for winning is to have his game pieces hatch some dragon eggs. We don't know why the hatching works for Illyrio's game pieces, after so many years when others attempted and failed to hatch the eggs. In other POVs, we do hear that king's blood is an ingredient for some kinds of magic, however. Could it be that crowning / killing Viserys was part of Illyrio's plan all along? Others with king's blood died in attempts to hatch dragon eggs. Was there some aspect of the death of Viserys that was done "correctly" while the other Targaryen deaths were not quite right to trigger the hatching?

A trader from Qarth once told me that dragons came from the moon," blond Doreah said as she warmed a towel over the fire. Jhiqui and Irri were of an age with Dany, Dothraki girls taken as slaves when Drogo destroyed their father's khalasar. Doreah was older, almost twenty. Magister Illyrio had found her in a pleasure house in Lys.

Silvery-wet hair tumbled across her eyes as Dany turned her head, curious. "The moon?"

"He told me the moon was an egg, Khaleesi," the Lysene girl said. "Once there were two moons in the sky, but one wandered too close to the sun and cracked from the heat. A thousand thousand dragons poured forth, and drank the fire of the sun. That is why dragons breathe flame. One day the other moon will kiss the sun too, and then it will crack and the dragons will return."

AGoT, Daenerys III

In addition to king's blood and a sigil-appropriate "crowning," it seems that a cracked moon/egg is necessary for dragons to hatch. Even though Drogo calls Dany the moon of his life, it seems that he is the one who dies after Dany kisses him, releasing the dragons in the pyre.

The thing that's in this for Illyrio is that he is playing a massive game of cyvasse against other master players such as Tywin, Bloodraven, Prince Doran and (possibly) Walder Frey. Illyrio wants to win the game. Maybe he will get another ring as a trophy. Tyrion comes into the orbit of Illyrio, however, and Tyrion is really good at playing cyvasse. When Tywin dies, I think Tyrion takes his place at the gaming table. Illyrio may have met his match, in spite of his opening gambit of hatching dragons. After all, Tyrion writes the book on dragons.

King V was promised to get the services of an army in return. The moment was just not right. Drogo was chasing prophecy and has his own ambition to bring all khalasars under the leadership of the future son. There were formalities he had to follow like the pilgrimage to Vaes Dothrak to present his Targaryen wife to the crones. The 7 kingdoms was on his checklist to do though.  King V was getting his army if only he had been patient.  

Drogo was already planning for the Stallion. He had long term goals. Rhaego would have been powerful with all of the khalasars under his thumb and Uncle V sitting on the throne of Westeros. 

14 hours ago, LynnS said:

Good questions.  Indeed why would Drogo agree to turn over 10,000 of his Khal and weaken his own standing among the Khals?  Why would any Dothraki follow someone they consider to be a weak leader?  Viserys seems to think he's prchasing a bunch of sellswords.

So yes, I'd go with Illyrio stringing Viserys along for his own purposes.  Especially since we know he and Varys are backing Aegon to return to Westeros.  Viserys isn't even the back-up plan.

So the question becomes what is Illyrio up to and what is he getting out of it?  

Indeed. Could be any number of things I think 

12 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

think the initial deal was sound. Drogo did not know Viserys when Illyrio brokered this deal, so he was not aware of how weak a leader he was. But all Drogo promised, according to Illyrio, was a crown, with the understanding that this will involve an army of some sort. Viserys is the one who pulled the 10,000 figure from thin air, so who knows what Drogo had in mind. In all likelihood, it would have been much smaller, and mostly low-level fighters that he could afford to lose

Right but it wouldn't have mattered if Viserys was a strong leader, the Dothraki aren't sell swords right? I don't think Drogo had the power to give any of them away, even those he could afford. He knew Viserys wasn't a Dothraki, I think that alone excludes him from leading a khalasar, or even part of one. 

12 hours ago, Springwatch said:

No he didn't promise; that would make it a commercial transaction, which as you said, the Dothraki don't do. But he is honour bound to return a gift of equal value. If Drogo gives something that Viserys openly despises, that makes Dany look like trash too, even with the dragon eggs thrown into the balance.

This makes sense. I wonder, what would Drogo consider of equal value to Dany?

12 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Yes. Illyrio is subtle enough to make that clear, without openly bargaining.

Like you say, Drogo isn't going to hand over his khalassar. But he could conquer Westeros (with much kudos and booty to him), and 'gift' Viserys the Iron Throne afterwards. That's how he thinks:

"And to Rhaego son of Drogo, the stallion who mounts the world, to him also I pledge a gift. To him I will give this iron chair his mother's father sat in. I will give him Seven Kingdoms. I, Drogo, khal, will do this thing

This made the most sense to me as well, except for when Dany is trying to talk him into taking the IT, he is originally having none of it. You would think, had he planned on taking it & gifting it to Viserys he wouldn't be so opposed to it when Dany says it, nor would he have to be told that there is a way to cross the poisoned water, that it isn't where the world ends, etc. 

9 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

think that Drogo's promise hinged on the promise that was made to him. I think it goes back to the Stallion Who Mounts the World business. Why did Drogo choose/decide to marry the penniless daughter of a king and a dynasty that was deposed? 

Interesting. So you think maybe Drogo knew something of the prophecy before the dosh khaleen said it? 

I guess I always just assumed he was really only worried about looks when he agrees to marry Dany, that & maybe Illyrio sweetened the deal some. 

What would a Dothraki horse lord covet in a wife?

9 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I don't know what Drogo expected. But we know that Illyrio did not want Viserys on that journey to Vaes Dothrak. He wanted him to stay put. Drogo must have been aware of the plan from the start, especially when we read the Lost Lord, ADwD. The expectations from everyone, from the Golden Company to Jon Connington was that Viserys was joining them with the Drogo and his horse. I personally don't think that Viserys was going to be part of those plans for very long. Nobody respects Viserys, including Illyrio. So I very much doubt Viserys was going to be allowed to continue on this journey without some unfortunate accident happening to him at some point

No I don't think so either. I wonder what Illyrios plans were for him? Did Illyrio intend for both Dany & Viserys to die, paving the way for Aegon? It does seem an elaborate set up just to have them killed though. I would think he could have accomplished it much easier at any point that he had them living with him. 

10 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

. I know that everybody believes that lllyrio is Aegon's father. I don't. I think Aegon is very much the real deal. Illyrio seems to be a worshipper of the Lord of Light, which would make things really interesting when we know that the red priests can read the flames and that the prophecy that's driving them is the same one that's been driving the Targaryens for centuries

Ooohh I hadn't thought of that, I like it. I'm not sold that Aegon is fake & am even less sold Illyrio is his father. 

12 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

Could be. Are all followers of Red Rahloo following the same instructions, you think? Maybe they are & some of them are misinterpreting. 

11 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I thought that the understanding would have been that the Dothraki would essentially work as mercenaries on Viserys' behalf but this doesn't really bear out when you consider the Dothraki aversion to the water and no evidence existing of Drogo having told his people this was something they were preparing to do. Honestly if it weren't for the inclusion of the dragon eggs I would assume that Iilyrio very cynically put Drogo and Viserys together to get rid of V in favour of his chosen pretender Faegon.  That Dany would spend her life marries to some barbarian in the east or die alongside her brother or her husband would just be a neatly cut loose end. Would Illyrio see the eggs as disposable?  I assume no, but he may see them differently

Yeah, the eggs mess things up a bit. I think he either never thought in a million years those eggs would hatch or was trying to create a situation in which they would because he has plans for Dany too. 

I said to another poster, I don't think the plan was just to get rid of them both, maybe V but not both, else why the elaborate set up? Why not just kill them when they are under his roof?

9 hours ago, Groo said:

Daenerys is just one of the gifts being offered up to Drogo and Illyrio is stringing Viserys along making him think he's actually doing Viserys some great service here. Marrying Daenerys to Drogo is actually doubly convenient for Illyrio. She's an attractive gift that doesn't actually cost him anything and it safely gets Daenerys out of the way and far from the Seven Kingdoms before it's time to bring out fAegon.

Makes sense. What do you make of Illyrio gifting Dany the dragon eggs? Even if he expected them never to hatch they are with tons & very rare. 

9 hours ago, Groo said:

On a side note, Illyrio kept telling Viserys not to go with Drogo but Viserys insisted. I'm sure Illyrio was concerned about Viserys potentially irritating and pissing Drogo off when the whole point was to placate Drogo and get him to go away happy. Also, Illyrio couldn't be sure how Drogo would react if Viserys kept running his mouth off about this supposed deal that didn't really exist

Right, it was quite convenient that they didn't speak the same language

49 minutes ago, Lyanna&lt;3Rhaegar said:

Makes sense. What do you make of Illyrio gifting Dany the dragon eggs? Even if he expected them never to hatch they are with tons & very rare. 

I can't image Illyrio or anyone else thought the eggs would ever hatch. Obviously, he would never have given them away if he thought that could happen. If you assume they won't hatch then they're just another rare and valuable object. I mean that in the sense that they would be like an exquisite jewel, or rare tapestry, or exotic animal. These are all valuable but everything has a price tag, especially for rich powerful people.

Archived