U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts

Zorral

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Huh?  Yachts don't count as islands.  Unless you're saying Joe Manchin is an island.  Because a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries.

Spoiler

I had a yacht joke lined up. About how he was using it to visit his one island friend. Way to head me off. <_<

43 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

On a lighter, non important note, what do you think should happen to the U.S. flag if another state eventually gets admitted to the Union (Puerto Rico or D.C.)?

50 stars has been such a nice, pretty number of stars in the blue field for so long.

We should go ahead and make the official flag the 13 circle of stars one right now to prevent some weird future insane debate. 

I think John Oliver had the best solution to that problem.

Let's simply kick out Florida, 'coz noone thinks they're great.

21 minutes ago, DMC said:

Huh?  Yachts don't count as islands.  Unless you're saying Joe Manchin is an island.  Because a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries.

At this point I'm open to Biden publicly bribing him with a Russian oligarch's impounded yacht if that's what it took to get him to stop being a titanic jackass.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

At this point I'm open to Biden publicly bribing him with a Russian oligarch's impounded yacht if that's what it took to get him to stop being a titanic jackass.

Come on man, then he'd just be a titanic jackass with a bigger boat.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hollywood can always make a bigger shark, and Joe Manchin is no Jason Statham. 

Manchin can always be a bigger asshole, with or without a boat.  Would love to see him jump the shark, however.

Jen Psaki may well have tipped the Biden administration's hand on student loan debt last night:

“Between now and August 31, it’s either going to be extended or we're going to make a decision, as Ron [Klain] referenced, about canceling student debt,” she said.

Sounds to me like the "decision" will be a political calculation on whether they're better off canceling the debt before the midterms, or just to extend the pause until after the midterms and cancel it then.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

15 hours ago, LongRider said:

Come on man, then he'd just be a titanic jackass with a bigger boat.

I’m sorry, the DiCaprio joke WROTE ITSELF BUT NO ONE WROTE IT.  I am disappointed in you all.  Very disappointed.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Jen Psaki may well have tipped the Biden administration's hand on student loan debt last night:

Sounds to me like the "decision" will be a political calculation on whether they're better off canceling the debt before the midterms, or just to extend the pause until after the midterms and cancel it then.

I bet they extend pause till after the midterms, and then do nothing.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them doing any broad cancellation, especially like the $10k off everyone that Biden said he was down for.  I bet we see more of the small forgiveness actions at the margins, maybe less scrutiny of the public service exemptions, and maybe a few new means tested, targeted relief efforts. 

4 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them doing any broad cancellation, especially like the $10k off everyone that Biden said he was down for.  I bet we see more of the small forgiveness actions at the margins, maybe less scrutiny of the public service exemptions, and maybe a few new means tested, targeted relief efforts. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he does the $10k as an EO after the midterms - and I think Psaki's comment is a clear indication they well (as is, for that matter, him continuing to pause it).  But no I don't expect much more than that.  More importantly though, I think Psaki's comments reflect the growing thought that doing so shortly before the midterms may actually help turnout.

Another question concerning voting rights. (This one is more personal)

What is the longest time you’ve ever had to wait in line to vote?

Every election I see stories on the news about people who are forced to spend 6+ hours in line to cast their ballots. That is amazing / disgusting to me. 

I joined the military straight out of high school, so for six years I voted by mail well in advance of the election. 

In the seven years since I separated I’ve been voting at the middle school 5 miles from my home on election day. From getting out of my car to getting back in has never once crossed the 20 minute threshold. 

16 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

What is the longest time you’ve ever had to wait in line to vote?

I've never voted in person.  My first election was 2004, when I was registered in New York but living in DC.  I moved to Florida in 2007 and they have no excuse absentee voting.  I did finally register in PA last summer just because Florida isn't really a swing state anymore, but they, too, now have no excuse absentee voting.  Well, kind of.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

I've never voted in person.  My first election was 2004, when I was registered in New York but living in DC.  I moved to Florida in 2007 and they have no excuse absentee voting.  I did finally register in PA last summer just because Florida isn't really a swing state anymore, but they, too, now have no excuse absentee voting.  Well, kind of.

It’s a short article from January of this year. What is the current situation?

Will you may-haps have to vote in person for the first time in your life this year?

Edit: Never mind.  I found the “read more” button and finished the article. 

24 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Edit: Never mind.  I found the “read more” button and finished the article.

Yeah it'd be incredibly shocking if the PA Supreme Court doesn't overrule the decision (they heard oral arguments in early March).  I was mostly being a smartass.

Archived