U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts

Zorral

Pary II: As well as Community Center boards.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/04/18/mclean-community-center-culture-war/

.... The backlash soon spilled into the McLean Community Center building, where the 11-member governing board of the facility, which is largely funded through a special residential tax district, holds its regular meetings.

Teachers who mention sexuality are ‘grooming’ kids, conservatives say

The event’s critics argued that programming has veered too far away from the classic music concerts or small theater productions that have long defined the community center, though several of those residents couldn’t name another example beyond the drag event of how that is so.

“Other people can come in and use the center, but I’m paying for it,” said Alice Middleton, 71, who estimates that $400 of her annual residential taxes goes toward the center. “I should have input on the kinds of performances they put on, the kinds of performances that this community supports.”

The backlash soon spilled into the McLean Community Center building, where the 11-member governing board of the facility, which is largely funded through a special residential tax district, holds its regular meetings.

Teachers who mention sexuality are ‘grooming’ kids, conservatives say

The event’s critics argued that programming has veered too far away from the classic music concerts or small theater productions that have long defined the community center, though several of those residents couldn’t name another example beyond the drag event of how that is so.

“Other people can come in and use the center, but I’m paying for it,” said Alice Middleton, 71, who estimates that $400 of her annual residential taxes goes toward the center. “I should have input on the kinds of performances they put on, the kinds of performances that this community supports.” ....

Part III: bAll part of the global interlocking crypto-religious fascist doctrine that has been so successfully driven by Putin and the US evangelicals.  From Heather Cox Richardson's  substack newsletter:

April 17, 2022
Heather Cox Richardson
Apr 18    

... political scientist and member of the Russian legislative body Vyacheslav Nikonov said, “in reality, we embody the forces of good in the modern world because this clash is metaphysical…. We are on the side of good against the forces of absolute evil…. This is truly a holy war that we’re waging, and we have to win it and of course we will because our cause is just. We have no other choice. Our cause is not only just, our cause is righteous and victory will certainly be ours.”

Nikonov was defending the Russian invasion of Ukraine, in which Russian troops have leveled cities, killed thousands, kidnapped children, and raped and tortured Ukrainian citizens.

The intellectual leap from committing war crimes to claiming to be on the side of good might be explained by an interview published in the New Statesman at the beginning of April. Speaking with former Portuguese secretary of state for European affairs Bruno Maçães, Sergey Karaganov, a former advisor to Russian president Vladimir Putin, predicted the end of the western democracies that have shaped the world since World War II. Dictators, he suggested, will take over.

Democracy is failing and authoritarianism rising, Karaganov said, because of democracy’s bad moral foundations. As he put it: “Western civilisation has brought all of us great benefits, but now people like myself and others are questioning the moral foundation of Western civilisation.”

Karaganov’s statement says a lot about why white evangelicals in the U.S. are willing to toss democracy overboard in favor of a one-party state dominated by one powerful leader. They deny the premise of a system in which all people are equal before the law and have the right to have a say in their government.

Putin cemented his rise to power in 2013 with antigay laws that supporters claimed defended conservative values against an assault of “genderless and fruitless so-called tolerance,” which “equals good and evil.” Hungary’s Viktor Orbán, an ally of Putin’s, has been open about his determination to replace the multiculturalism at the heart of democracy with Christian culture, stop the immigration that he believes undermines Hungarian culture, and reject “adaptable family models” for “the Christian family model.”

The American right has embraced this attack on our system. In October 2021, former vice president Mike Pence spoke in Budapest at a forum denouncing immigration and urging traditional social values, where he told the audience he hoped that the U.S. Supreme Court would soon outlaw abortion thanks to the three justices Trump put on the court. Next month, the American Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) will be held in Budapest, Hungary; Orbán will be the keynote speaker.

Increasingly, Republican lawmakers have called not for the U.S. government to leave business alone, as was their position under President Ronald Reagan, but to use government power to crack down on “woke” businesses they insist are undermining the policies they value—meaning companies that protect LGBTQ rights, racial justice, reproductive choice, and access to the ballot. In Florida, Governor Ron DeSantis and his supporters have threatened Disney for its mild defense of LGBTQ rights, insisting the company grooms children for sexual abuse, and Texas Republicans are considering barring local governments from doing business with any national company that provides abortion coverage for its employees.

To achieve such control in a country where they are a minority, they are skewing the electoral system to install a one-party government. Just like Orbán’s government in Hungary, and Putin’s in Russia, the one-party government they envision will benefit a very small group of wealthy people: witness the Russian oligarchs whose yachts worth hundreds of millions of dollars are being impounded all over the world. And, just like those governments, it will be overseen by a strongman, who will continue to insist that his opponents are immoral.  ....

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Part III: bAll part of the global interlocking crypto-religious fascist doctrine that has been so successfully driven by Putin and the US evangelicals.  From Heather Cox Richardson's  substack newsletter:

I just finished watching the four seasons of The Handmaid's Tale.  It's supposed to entertainment, not a f'ing documentary.    :excl:   :frown5:

8 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I just finished watching the four seasons of The Handmaid's Tale.  It's supposed to entertainment, not a f'ing documentary.    :excl:   :frown5:

How amazing is it the ACB actually had the title of handmaiden in her cultish sect of Christianity...

#freedumb

Why yes, it is war, complete with sanctions, blockades and embargoes.  Gotta say this sounds remarkably like Putin sanctioning Biden from coming to Russia.

Texas Lawmaker Warns Citigroup Against Paying for Out-of-State Abortions
A state representative threatened to introduce legislation that would bar local governments from doing business with companies that had such policies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/18/business/citigroup-abortion-texas-warning.html?

A Texas legislator warned Citigroup on Friday that he would introduce a bill to prevent the bank from underwriting municipal bonds in the state unless it rescinded its policy covering travel expenses for employees who go outside their state to seek an abortion.

State Representative Briscoe Cain, a Republican from the Houston area, wrote on Facebook and Twitter that the bill would bar local governments from doing business with any company “that pays abortion-related expenses of its employees or that provides abortion coverage as an employee benefit.” He said he had sent a cease-and-desist letter to Citigroup’s chief executive, Jane Fraser, calling the policy a “misuse of shareholder money.”

Citigroup stated in a filing on Tuesday that it would provide travel benefits to employees seeking abortions outside their state, “in response to changes in reproductive health care laws in certain states.” Last year, Texas enacted a law that bans abortion after about six weeks of pregnancy. The law took effect in September.

Citigroup has 8,500 employees in Texas. Other companies, including Salesforce and Uber, have also announced policies in opposition to the abortion law.

Mr. Cain also vowed to propose legislation that, if passed, would authorize district attorneys from anywhere in the state to prosecute a company that violated the abortion law if the local district attorney did not take action.

Representatives of Citigroup could not be reached for comment Friday night.

The D's plan to elect 5000 folks to monitor elections in 35 states. As I understand it (probably wrong, but whatever) this would be legal even with most of the idiot 'voter fraud' laws...but I can't really see the R's allowing this to happen, period. Lawsuits, smear campaigns, and lots of loud noises, maybe?

Fighting Trump, Dems launch plan to elect thousands of local election supervisors - POLITICO

A Democratic candidate recruiting group is pitching donors on an ambitious three-year program to find, train and support 5,000 candidates for local offices in charge of election administration, a sprawling national effort intended to fight subversion of future election results.

The program would recruit candidates in 35 states for everything from county probate judges in Alabama to county clerks in Kansas and county election board members in Pennsylvania — all offices that handle elections and will be on voters’ ballots between now and 2024. Spearheading the effort is Run for Something, a Democratic group that launched soon after Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential victory to recruit candidates for local elections. Now, the group plans to raise $80 million over the next three years for this push, which would include at least a hundred staffers to support those candidates in-state, according to details and donor memos first shared with POLITICO.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

If anyone else performed, at any job at anytime, as poorly as Tex Gov. Greg Abbott, they would have been fired and blackballed from whatever industry entire at a time long behind us.  

Translation: On the shortlist to become the nominee of the Republican Party.

We're so fucked as a country...

Republican push for Joe Manchin to run for President--as a Republican. If they think he can save them from Trump 2, well, I guess Trump's coming back no matter who they run. It'd be a fitting end for him to lose the primaries against Trump, and to see his whole, "Well, golly gee, I hope no one ever thinks I'm a liar or doing something for fame," get wrecked. 

GOP Donors Want Joe Manchin to Run in 2024 As Republican Against Trump: Report (businessinsider.com)

On 4/12/2022 at 9:34 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Lol. @mcbigski, I just saw your "signature" for the first time.

You can indeed me hilarious when you want to be.

No.  That's meant earnestly. 

Authoritarianism is bad mkay.  

Though I didn't much like playing Lal's faction in Alpha Centauri.  The inefficiency penalty annoyed me.  

Another conservative fooled by subversive leftie musicians.

Fox Host Rails At ‘Pinko’ Bruce Springsteen After His Song Plays On Air
"Glory Days" played after a commercial break on "Outnumbered" and Kennedy was not happy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-kennedy-bruce-springsteen_n_625e5c01e4b0e97a352205a8

Rock icon Bruce Springsteen has clearly not got a fan in Fox’s Lisa Kennedy Montgomery.

When Springsteen’s “Glory Days” played after a commercial break during Monday’s broadcast of “Outnumbered,” the conservative commentator called the music legend “a big commie.”

“I like ‘Glory Days,’ I like ‘Born In The U.S.A.,’ la la la la la, but he’s turned into a massive pinko,” Kennedy declared.

Archived