U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts

Zorral

20 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

he’s turned into a massive pinko,” Kennedy declared.

How ... how very not with the times this guy!  Where does he live? Under a wood pile, with spiders and rats and snakes crawling all over him?

O wait, the tucker c. / faux noose infoverse bubble.  Same thing.

9 hours ago, Week said:

The plot thickens as Deathsantis didn't quite think this one through...

So we're saying there's still a chance that Disney secedes from Florida and becomes it's own state, if not it's own little nation-state...? Cool.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:15 AM, Zorral said:

But they won't give the names or publishers of these math texts.

Public libraries are now the same kind of target as are local public school boards, btw.  Talk about censorship and end of free speech.

I strongly suspect that with these math books, there is also some grift involved (like maybe donor corporations getting all the contracts for making the new ones).

Trump walks out on an interview - again. Except this time it was on FOX. (Last time was a '60 Minutes' episode.) Maybe somebody here will be brave enough to watch the relevant clip. The Trump-World reaction might also be interesting.

This sort of behavior on Trumps part, combined with his age and known health issues, tend to reinforce my strong suspicion there will not be a 'Trump 2024.' (Or a 'Biden 2024,' for that matter.)

Trump Storms Out of Interview After Piers Morgan Presses Him on 2020 Election Lies (msn.com)

In excerpts of the conversation, Trump defends his false assertion that the election was stolen from him as a result of voter fraud -- a claim he has repeated numerous times without proof and which has spurred violence in the January 6 Capitol Riot. "I'm a very honest man -- much more honest than you," he tells Morgan to his surprise.

"It was a free and fair election. You lost," Morgan said in the interview, which led to Trump's reply that "only a fool would think that." After Trump doubled down on his comments, Morgan pressed him to provide "hard evidence" of election fraud.

The clip, which asserts the interview as the "most explosive" of the year, ends with Trump demanding to "finish up" the interview and walking away from the camera after telling crew members to stop videotaping him. 

42 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I strongly suspect that with these math books, there is also some grift involved (like maybe donor corporations getting all the contracts for making the new ones).

Q.E.D.

When the Trump people are asked factual questions that they don’t want to answer, walking off in a huff is the default, that they are busy modeling for their low information voters. If you are outgunned by facts, manufacture a huff and stomp away…like 6 years old.

Betsy DeVos company’s wants education to be fascist right wing and private. Her company will sacrifice themselves to alllow Floridians to spend money to her private school choices. I wonder if she feels he is the perfect bought governor, who is willing to to choose the right wing owned text books that she likes( no gays, obviously) to whatever boondoggle she can create. I wonder if it is a coincidence that DeSantis wants voter security and DBetsy de Vos’s brother owns Blackwater.

Sanders' team says he has 'not ruled out' a 2024 bid if Biden doesn't run
The Vermont senator's former campaign manager wrote in a memo that allies should keep a potential third run for the presidency in mind.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/sanders-team-says-not-ruled-2024-bid-biden-doesnt-run-rcna25259

WASHINGTON — Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., has "not ruled out" a bid for president in 2024 if President Joe Biden chooses not to seek re-election, his former campaign manager wrote in a memo to allies Wednesday.

"In the event of an open 2024 Democratic presidential primary, Sen. Sanders has not ruled out another run for president, so we advise that you answer any questions about 2024 with that in mind," Faiz Shakir wrote, according to a copy of the memo obtained by NBC News.

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Sanders' team says he has 'not ruled out' a 2024 bid if Biden doesn't run
The Vermont senator's former campaign manager wrote in a memo that allies should keep a potential third run for the presidency in mind.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/sanders-team-says-not-ruled-2024-bid-biden-doesnt-run-rcna25259

Old man, step aside and the let the young liberals shine. 

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

"I'm a very honest man -- much more honest than you," he tells Morgan to his surprise.

To be fair to Trump, Piers Morgan is certainly not an honest man.

To be fair to Morgan, Trump is about the least honest man on the planet.

What're we hearing Biden's plan is for the midterms? I think his presidency has felt so...absent (and would in normal times, but compared to Trump, it's more noticeable) and incapable of delivering messages and directing narratives. I'm worried their plan might be something like in September to extend student loans again, and that's it. Something that has no long-term meaning, a terrible misreading of the room, while Republicans will be out there using a lot of these things against Biden to convince constituents to vote red. For example, I'll be shocked if the 2,000 debacle doesn't come back (the pre runoff message vs the post runoff message). Had BBB passed, I think lots of those early stumbles would be forgivable, but as it stands, people's lives have not materially improved at all which likely means: apathy will not drive liberal voters, and anger/rage continues to drive the right.

Since dems won't (and shouldn't) operate under anger/rage politics, then their option has to be to improve people's lives in clear, meaningful ways.

10,000 in debt forgiven--I don't know how that would go. Since most people have such high debt loads coming out of college, does that feel like 1400 dollars again? Let's say he forgives more, does he run a risk of backlash from enough Americans to hurt the turnout? I think no, but there are lots of liberals out there who think Gen Y has it so easy and they're bitching and moaning for free handouts.

I'm hoping Biden has some plans, so I'm curious if we've heard anything else.

ETA: I know there are two vocal roadblocks in the Senate (likely covering for more who are afraid to speak up). But it's politics. You have to wage war. When I read the other day that Biden staffers were directed to not "say Manchin's name" I clicked on the article thinking, "Finally, Biden's sick of this fucker." But no, it was, "Don't say negative things about him, let's not upset him!" Manchin has controlled the narrative of the Presidency, and he'll somehow try to twist this into AOC and the squad being at fault, while Biden should be making it clear who the problem is.

OK, y'all, tell me if you can see this Trump "exclusive video" I'm not supposed to share -- and am supposed to immediately delete the email the link came in after I watched it -- through the link below:

https://secure.winred.com/save-america-joint-fundraising-committee/trump-video-unlocked/?recurring=true&money_pledge=true&amount=5&amt1=5&amt2=10&amt3=15&amt4=20&utm_medium=email_hf&utm_source=et_10_bu1nd0001&utm_campaign=20220421_trump-video-launch-nd_donaldjtrump_sa&utm_content=donate_button_cpyrs_14337

He starts off with the ridiculous claim that the USA is more "disrespected" now than ever before in its history, which is exactly the opposite of what I believe to be the case -- the world in general "disrespected" us more when he was President, from what I can see. 

This is from Popular Infomation, a substack written by someone we know, thus there is no link, only the subscription email.

He got to see 8 of the 20 math books banned in Florida (which texts they have banned are have been kept secret as far as possible by the gov's office).

These were banned because

1) Re "CRT" i.e. "DeSantis' Communications Director, Christina Pushaw, was quite clear that the rejected math textbooks included CRT. She said people are free to "buy any CRT math textbook you want." (These textbooks, Pushaw claimed, teach kids that "2+2=4" is "white supremacy.") Pushaw emphasized that DeSantis would not "force Florida taxpayers to pay for this indoctrination."" Notably, the Florida Department of Education, Desantis, and Pushaw did not provide any examples of how these math textbooks would indoctrinate Florida students. (The only "example" Pushaw provided was a math worksheet from Missouri that mentioned Maya Angelou.)

2) ["Telling kids to be nice to their classmates is not indoctrination" -- yet it is in Florida " ]

According to the Florida Department of Education, “the highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies.” Popular Information obtained three of the K-5 books that were rejected for “prohibited topics.”

There was no discussion of race, racism, or anything that could be construed as related to CRT in any of the textbooks. While the vast majority of the textbooks focused on basic math skills, they also encouraged students to reflect on how they learn and work with their classmates. In general, the textbooks encouraged young students to be nice to each other and themselves.

This could be considered SEL [Z here -- I'd not heard of SEL until now, but my educational context is university studies -- not to say that very high numbers of uni/grad students and academics don't need this teaching as well~!], which focuses on "social and emotional competence" and helping “children develop emotional literacy when it comes to their feelings and other people’s.” But nothing in any of the rejected textbooks could be described in good faith as "dangerous" or "indoctrination."

One rejected textbook, Florida Reveal Math Grade 1, includes a series of questions under the heading “Math is… Mindset.” These questions include: “How can you show that you value the ideas of others?” and “What helps you understand your partner’s ideas?”

The book also encourages students to learn how to “work together” when doing math and to "listen to our friends and teachers."

Florida Reveal Math Grade 5, which was also rejected, uses similar prompts to encourage students to think critically about how they work with others in the classroom setting. “When we do math, we listen to the arguments of others and think about what makes sense and what doesn’t,” the book states in the introduction.

Other prompts encourage critical thinking and highlight relationship skills, such as: “What can I learn from others’ thinking about the problem?” and “What can you do to help all classmates feel comfortable in math class?”

The textbook encourages students to think about how they can “recognize and respond to the emotions of others” and practice building “relationship[s]” with classmates.

Popular Information also obtained a copy of another rejected textbook for elementary students, enVision Florida B.E.S.T. Mathematics Grade 1. The textbook includes a section entitled “Learn Together" which outlines the importance of “shar[ing] your ideas,” "valu[ing] ideas ] from others,” and “listen[ing] with an open mind. ...." ]

And so on and so forth. Teaching and instilling ideas of cooperation with and respect for others, how to analyze information are the worst of subversive acts, and also pedophilic/Dem grooming. Cannot have that in Florida!

Higher grade math books teaching Calculus, Trigonometry, Algebra and Geometry were prohibited for employing the very terms of these disciplines, in use for centuries, if not millennia.  Nobody ever use a bridge designed and built by anyone with a Florida education, or fly in a plane whose development was overseen by someone with a Florida education.  I'm warning you all now.  Pay attention. You'll thank me.  BTW my brother who is retiring from heading up the electrical engineering laboratory for THE primary aviation corporation, spent a year interviewing candidates to take his place, to find someone he trusted to know wtfuck they were doing.  He learned over the last few years to not even bother scheduling an interview with anyone from a so-called "Christian" pre-high school background even for low level new hires, their fundamentals were so -- wrong.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

To be fair to Trump, Piers Morgan is certainly not an honest man.

To be fair to Morgan, Trump is about the least honest man on the planet.

Feel like it should be noted that this is literally advertising for Morgan's new show and he's clearly blowing things out of proportion - Trump's camp released audio that reportedly confirms the interview ended on amicable terms.

Archived