U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts

Zorral

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Feel like it should be noted that this is literally advertising for Morgan's new show and he's clearly blowing things out of proportion - Trump's camp released audio that reportedly confirms the interview ended on amicable terms.

Kayfabe!

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

This is from Popular Infomation, a substack written by someone we know, thus there is no link, only the subscription email.

He got to see 8 of the 20 math books banned in Florida (which texts they have banned are have been kept secret as far as possible by the gov's office).

These were banned because

And so on and so forth. Teaching and instilling ideas of cooperation with and respect for others, how to analyze information are the worst of subversive acts, and also pedophilic/Dem grooming. Cannot have that in Florida!

Higher grade math books teaching Calculus, Trigonometry, Algebra and Geometry were prohibited for employing the very terms of these disciplines, in use for centuries, if not millennia.  Nobody ever use a bridge designed and built by anyone with a Florida education, or fly in a plane whose development was overseen by someone with a Florida education.  I'm warning you all now.  Pay attention. You'll thank me.  BTW my brother who is retiring from heading up the electrical engineering laboratory for THE primary aviation corporation, spent a year interviewing candidates to take his place, to find someone he trusted to know wtfuck they were doing.  He learned over the last few years to not even bother scheduling an interview with anyone from a so-called "Christian" pre-high school background even for low level new hires, their fundamentals were so -- wrong.

I keep wondering when the Florida legislature decides to make pi equal to 3 so as to make math simpler for simple minded Floridians.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:52 AM, Week said:

The plot thickens as Deathsantis didn't quite think this one through...

It's very ironic, because it seems like it's only my republican friends and family that are always taking their annoying kids  to Disney World.  My inlaws dragged me and my wife there about 20 years ago and it was one of the worst vacations I ever had.

54 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I keep wondering when the Florida legislature decides to make pi equal to 3 so as to make math simpler for simple minded Floridians.

Are you trying to speak this into existence, because if they read this they'll make it happen.

17 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Sanders' team says he has 'not ruled out' a 2024 bid if Biden doesn't run
The Vermont senator's former campaign manager wrote in a memo that allies should keep a potential third run for the presidency in mind.

So he'd be 83, expecting to lead as President until 87, with a possible second term taking him to 91?

That seems...ambitious.

Snopes's take on politically prohibited math textbooks. They claim at least some of the online examples are fake or otherwise misleading.

At this point, I can almost see the DeSantis crew resorting to legal measures to keep *anybody* from accessing those books.

Did Florida Reject Math Textbooks, Citing References to Critical Race Theory? | Snopes.com

Although Florida has indeed rejected a number of mathematics textbooks on the basis that they allegedly contain references to CRT, the specific content the Department of Education found objectionable has not been made public. Also, a number of alleged textbook excerpts circulating online that include references to sexual abuse and slavery are not, in fact, content from those textbooks.

More in Adventures in Education, brought to you by Florida and your other Usual Suspects. DeSantis gets the ball rolling to outlaw "reform" tenure at state universities etc.  If one can be dismissed at will of the board every five years, there is no such thing as tenure whatever DeSantis and Florida jerkwaddies call it.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/2022/04/19/desantis-signs-bill-limiting-tenure-at-florida-public-universities/

Not that I am personally all that favorably inclined to tenure, as there are so few tenured positions available, in preference to the pure exploitation of 'adjuncts' because there are so few tenured positions because we have adjuncts we can exploit.  Reform is necessary, which gets more and more difficult as universities are about real estate and sports franchises, and enrollments are falling along with the birth rate.

However, that said, the above policy is neither tenure nor is it reform, and it isn't intended to be either.  It another Big Lie to silence voices They have deemed unfit to speak. Another hammer with which to cruelly treat those who aren't Us.

9 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

What're we hearing Biden's plan is for the midterms? I think his presidency has felt so...absent (and would in normal times, but compared to Trump, it's more noticeable) and incapable of delivering messages and directing narratives. I'm worried their plan might be something like in September to extend student loans again, and that's it. Something that has no long-term meaning, a terrible misreading of the room, while Republicans will be out there using a lot of these things against Biden to convince constituents to vote red. For example, I'll be shocked if the 2,000 debacle doesn't come back (the pre runoff message vs the post runoff message). Had BBB passed, I think lots of those early stumbles would be forgivable, but as it stands, people's lives have not materially improved at all which likely means: apathy will not drive liberal voters, and anger/rage continues to drive the right.

Since dems won't (and shouldn't) operate under anger/rage politics, then their option has to be to improve people's lives in clear, meaningful ways.

10,000 in debt forgiven--I don't know how that would go. Since most people have such high debt loads coming out of college, does that feel like 1400 dollars again? Let's say he forgives more, does he run a risk of backlash from enough Americans to hurt the turnout? I think no, but there are lots of liberals out there who think Gen Y has it so easy and they're bitching and moaning for free handouts.

I'm hoping Biden has some plans, so I'm curious if we've heard anything else.

ETA: I know there are two vocal roadblocks in the Senate (likely covering for more who are afraid to speak up). But it's politics. You have to wage war. When I read the other day that Biden staffers were directed to not "say Manchin's name" I clicked on the article thinking, "Finally, Biden's sick of this fucker." But no, it was, "Don't say negative things about him, let's not upset him!" Manchin has controlled the narrative of the Presidency, and he'll somehow try to twist this into AOC and the squad being at fault, while Biden should be making it clear who the problem is.

I think we will see some action on the student loans but I dunno about the 10k.  I think it will piss off a lot of people, including a lot of rank and file Dems.  I think they will maybe beef up the public service / income based repayment program shortening the time period.  Maybe some kind of heavily scrutinized means tested angle where lower income borrowers have some degree of amnesty.  

Re: Dem agenda.... Yeah, what are the reconcilation bills going to be this year?  Or are Sinema and Manchin not open to using reconcilation except for strict fiscal stuff at this point?  What does Manchin need to get rid of the filibuster for Voting Rights?  A coal burning boiler for his boat?  

One popular item that seems possible is a push for a full decriminalization and rescheduling of marijuana on the federal level.  Do it this summer.  Obviously the 10 senate votes would be pulling teeth.  They're already bragging about reducing the deficit, why not push the financial angle of new tax revenue + less spending on enforcement, prosecution, and incarceration?  New jobs!  

2 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Obviously the 10 senate votes would be pulling teeth.

It's not getting 10 GOP Senate votes.  Schumer should force them to vote against cloture, sure.

I was thinking…there is money and indoctrination involved, then she probably knows where the grift goes. She defunds and harasses public schools so that she can funnel the moneyinto special private religious schools. I’ve read that she has a tame governor in Florida, while she has the money and access to Blackwater mercenaries who may try to “stop the steal” by intimidating Democratic voters.

Archived