U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts

Zorral

On 4/21/2022 at 6:29 PM, DMC said:

It's not getting 10 GOP Senate votes.  Schumer should force them to vote against cloture, sure.

https://action.chuckschumer.com/marijuana-legalization?utm_source=text_sms_20220420_marijuana&utm_medium=text&sc=text_sms_20220420_marijuana&refcode=text_sms_20220420_marijuana

Weirdly enough got a text with this link from my town's Dem text group yesterday afternoon:

It's time to legalize marijuana nationwide. Communities of color continue to suffer from the failed War on Drugs, and an astounding two-thirds of Americans are on board with legalization.

The House just passed a bill to legalize marijuana, and now it's time for the Senate to seal the deal. But as Senate Republicans signal their opposition, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer needs to know if you're with him. 

Talk about trying to buy votes before a tough election:

Governor Walz visited Cub Foods in North Minneapolis on Wednesday to discuss the importance of delivering $2 billion in direct relief to Minnesota families through Walz Checks. Governor Walz and Lieutenant Governor Flanagan’s Budget to Move Minnesota Forward proposes distributing Walz Checks of up to $1,000 directly to Minnesotans – single tax filers would receive a payment of $500 while a married couple would receive a payment of $1,000. More than 2.7 million Minnesota households would receive a Walz Check under this proposal.

To be fair, it's good policy given everything that's going on, but it's hard not to laugh at how naked this is.

Still makes me laugh that a decade ago this dude seriously gave me a beer for the road...

With breathtaking arrogance the U.S. arrests the former Honduran President, while simultaneously refusing to arrest or prosecute its own former President and leader of the gangster crime Trump family.

Honduras extradites former president to the US to face drug trafficking charges

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/21/americas/honduras-juan-orlando-hernandez-extradite-us-intl/index.html

One cannot, not, ask how the former Honduran President is not above the law while Trump is treated to his special above the law status?

THE HEIGHTH OF ARROGANT HYPOCRISY IS BREATHTAKING.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/incitement-to-genocide-rising-under-the-waves

One of the abiding features of early 21st century American politics is that a lot of change on the right happens in the subterranean world of what we used to call “the Crazy.” In the pre-Trump years it’s not that any of this was really hidden. It wasn’t subterranean in that sense. But it was off the radar of most of conventional journalism and the mainstream political discourse because it wasn’t serious. It wasn’t real. It was just crazy antics on the margins. But as we’ve tried to chronicle for decades now, that was never the case. That was the real GOP politics. It controlled and drove the presentable mainstream leaders — the Boehners, Ryans, McConnells and more. The ascension of Donald Trump was in many ways a simple inversion of this dynamic, putting “the Crazy” in formal and open leadership of the party.

Something has happened as recently as the last four to six weeks that follows this pattern, is important and dangerous and is still mostly coasting under the radar of “proper” U.S. political discourse and reporting. ....

.... You can look at the full thread to see all of what he was talking about. But the gist was the “grooming” discourse I mentioned here and here. In short, the entire bundle of conversations about transgenderism, gender identity and homosexuality have been very suddenly repackaged as “grooming” and “pedophilia.” Any discussion of gender identity or homosexuality in schools is now “grooming” kids for pedophiles. Even same sex marriage — which is, of course, by definition for adults — is another part of the “grooming” agenda. Disney is now routinely attacked as a hotbed of “grooming” and pedophilia as a downstream effect of the corporation begrudgingly taking a position against Florida’s “don’t say gay” law.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The post-Easter legislative agenda involves Covid relied, aid for Ukraine, and a stripped down BBB. Hopefully something can be passed on climate change and prescription drug prices, but personally I dont give a damn about the third piece Manchin is on board with, deficit reduction.

It's very important to get the finances in order to pay for the next round of tax cuts for the rich.

CNN)A New York judge is holding Donald Trump in civil contempt after the state's attorney general's office said he did not comply with a subpoena for documents as part of its investigation into the former President's company.

Judge Arthur Engoron said Trump failed to abide by his order to comply with the subpoena, and that his attorneys failed to show how a search of materials held by Trump was conducted. Engoron said Trump would be fined $10,000 a day until he complies.

"Mr. Trump, I know you take your business seriously and I take mine seriously. I hereby hold you in civil contempt and fine you $10,000 per day until you purge that contempt," Engoron said at a hearing Monday. A written decision with a start date for fines is expected Tuesday.

Trump plans to appeal the decision, his attorney Alina Habba told reporters.

Judge holds former President Trump in civil contempt for failing to comply with document subpoenas from New York attorney general

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/politics/trump-contempt-hearing/index.html

I hope this blows up in his face, so, so badly.  Wipe that smug smile off is hair plugged head.  I was never going to get on it, but I hope this move pushes those that made the company off.  Fuck Musk and his new propaganda channel.

I think people greatly over-estimate the importance of Twitter, and to me it feels like there's a weirdly surreal disconnect between what is seen as real important by the very online vs. what most people, who are a lot less online, see as important. You get some very intense echo chambers on Twitter, and they convince themselves that they are reflective of what's really going on.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think people greatly over-estimate the importance of Twitter, and to me it feels like there's a weirdly surreal disconnect between what is seen as real important by the very online vs. what most people, who are a lot less online, see as important.

I think it's clear the outsized perception of Twitter's influence is because political journalists rely on it - and at this point most political academics too.  It's the new version of New York and DC getting disproportionate attention.  That being said, I don't really see how Musk controlling it is gonna change that much at all.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think people greatly over-estimate the importance of Twitter, and to me it feels like there's a weirdly surreal disconnect between what is seen as real important by the very online vs. what most people, who are a lot less online, see as important. You get some very intense echo chambers on Twitter, and they convince themselves that they are reflective of what's really going on.

Sure.

I've been keeping my head down and focusing on art stuff, my usual MO when everything gets too hairy. Even so, whether Twitter is as important as some purport or an often amusing, and yes, infuriating, medium, can't say at this point what's it's going to look like, but would probably miss news, analysis that I value, and quite a few people honestly.

Going to be weird, whatever way it goes. Maybe. Depends on the board, I suppose, and whatever domain remains under it's operational purview. 

House Republicans demand Twitter’s board preserve all records about Musk’s bid to buy the company

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/22/republicans-demand-twitter-board-save-records-on-musks-bid.html

A group of House Republicans is asking Twitter’s board to preserve all records related to Elon Musk’s offer to buy the company.
It sets the grounds for a potential congressional probe should the party win back the majority this fall.
Twitter has repeatedly become a focus of Republican criticism over allegations of censorship.

https://www.mediamatters.org/donald-trump/attack-twitter-right-shows-it-has-institutionalized-trumps-corrupt-use-government

“Nice company you’ve got there; be a shame if something happened to it. Maybe you should save yourself some trouble and sell it to our buddy.” 

That’s the message 18 House Republicans, led by Judiciary Committee ranking member Jim Jordan (R-OH), sent on Friday with a letter demanding Twitter’s board of directors preserve all records related to the bid by Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to purchase the company. The right’s propagandists had celebrated Musk’s bid as a way to garner political gain by ending the company’s purported political censorship. Then its elected GOP champions, responding to hesitation from and when Twitter’s board, raised the prospect of a costly congressional investigation if his offer wasn’t accepted.

The GOP’s ham-fisted threat reflects the party’s institutionalization of former President Donald Trump’s authoritarian use of government power to impose political retribution on individual companies that defied him -- particularly those that owned news outlets. Now, Republicans are adopting similar strategies in the name of fighting so-called “woke capital,” and right-wing media are cheering them on.

Links show us how this is connected to deSantis attack on Disney.  The lesson to big Corps that the rethuglicans are totally in charge and they better fall in line.  Just like nazi germany.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I think it's clear the outsized perception of Twitter's influence is because political journalists rely on it - and at this point most political academics too.  It's the new version of New York and DC getting disproportionate attention.  That being said, I don't really see how Musk controlling it is gonna change that much at all.

Thr main way is likely by removing or eroding the poor safeguards already in place to combat harassment. That is the main thing elon doesn't like existing on the site.

9 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Thr main way is likely by removing or eroding the poor safeguards already in place to combat harassment. That is the main thing elon doesn't like existing on the site.

Right what I meant is that it's not going to change much irt political journalists relying on it.  At least based on any change of policy I can think of.

Archived