Jump to content

U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts


Zorral
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I hope this blows up in his face, so, so badly.  Wipe that smug smile off is hair plugged head.  I was never going to get on it, but I hope this move pushes those that made the company off.  Fuck Musk and his new propaganda channel.

Well, the problem with all these so-called social media is that they still have and will use your data, plus apparently, tweets can be retroactively changed by them.

And yes, Twitter already was pretty bad, but I'm sure it will get worse. My main concern is he'll amp up the right-wing propaganda.

 

 

Edited by Mindwalker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right what I meant is that it's not going to change much irt political journalists relying on it.  At least based on any change of policy I can think of.

Those journalists are gonna get a lot more harassment and spam. And many - especially minority reporters - will be chased off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kalibuster said:

Those journalists are gonna get a lot more harassment and spam. And many - especially minority reporters - will be chased off.

I think it's possible political journalists try to find another venue, but I doubt many will because of personally getting more harassment/spam.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DMC said:

I think it's possible political journalists try to find another venue, but I doubt many will because of personally getting more harassment/spam.

They'll likely either go to substack or simply quit. 

I don't think people who haven't been harassed understand how bad it can be - and how a libertarian guy who shitposts and trolls and already was a racist will make things so much worse for minority views. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

They'll likely either go to substack or simply quit.

I think you're vastly overestimating the potential impact of Musk's policies, and similarly vastly underestimating how much harassment/spam political journalists are already exposed to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think you're vastly overestimating the potential impact of Musk's policies, and similarly vastly underestimating how much harassment/spam political journalists are already exposed to.

Could be! Or I could be talking about an industry I actually do work in and how lax moderation makes it super easy to chase people off permanently, and how Twitter- as shitty as it is - is at least functional. 

And musk announced policies - of tiered membership, releasing algorithms, and less moderation - are all tried things and all resulted in massive exodus of minorities in the places it was tried. Like there's research and everything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kalibuster said:

Like there's research and everything!

There's research that political journalists have been chased off of social media platforms due to different moderation policies?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

There's research that political journalists have been chased off of social media platforms due to different moderation policies?

Not due to different moderation policies. Come on, man, you're better than that! There's research that shows people of all areas - including journalists - are chased off platforms when moderation becomes more lenient and bots are allowed to flourish.  

I'll try and find the specific work tonight, but there's a very large amount of research about exactly the proposals that Musk is wanting to do and exactly how they change things. There's good research and examples of news areas that are similarly purchased that show the same kinds of things. 

But here's a real world example of Musks policy goals - he deployed starlink to Ukraine. Russia almost immediately started using it to send propaganda and bots at Ukrainians and others in the area. He outright refused to stop it as an example of free speech absolutism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kalibuster said:

There's research that shows people of all areas - including journalists - are chased off platforms when moderation becomes more lenient and bots are allowed to flourish.  

Ok, but you're talking about users in general whereas my point was specific to political journalists.  I wasn't trying to make a comment on how Musk's leadership/policies would impact Twitter generally.  If you wanna argue that have at it, but in response to my post it's a pretty big non sequitur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ok, but you're talking about users in general whereas my point was specific to political journalists.  I wasn't trying to make a comment on how Musk's leadership/policies would impact Twitter generally.  If you wanna argue that have at it, but in response to my post it's a pretty big non sequitur.

I suspect given how much he hated media and journalists it will be if anything even worse to journalists. This is the guy who cancelled a reporters tesla order for being rude to him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kalibuster said:

I suspect given how much he hated media and journalists it will be if anything even worse to journalists.

Perhaps.  But the point is political journalists are much more accustomed to - and even expecting as part of the job - online harassment than your average user.  It's classic ecological fallacy to think the effect of such policies on the general population will be the same as the effect on political journalists who use their twitter accounts to advertise their content and promote themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Perhaps.  But the point is political journalists are much more accustomed to - and even expecting as part of the job - online harassment than your average user.  It's classic ecological fallacy to think the effect of such policies on the general population will be the same as the effect on political journalists who use their twitter accounts to advertise their content and promote themselves.

If that was what I was saying I think that'd be reasonable. 

I'm saying that the specific policies in place will add more harassment specifically for journalists, and even more so for minorities. It won't be equally affecting - it will be significantly targeted toward those users. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

I'm saying that the specific policies in place will add more harassment specifically for journalists

And I'm saying I doubt that will be what causes political journalists to leave twitter, if they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is also a good thread on a lot of the problems, including the one I zeroed in on - the more transparent the algorithms are, the easier it is to game and exploit, especially by hostile and shitty actors. There's a reason that Google used to make a lot of their signals open and then took that away- because of seo optimization bullshit. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see any downside to Musk buying Twitter. I hope journalists leave. Then they can do some real reporting instead of relying on Tweets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm sure Musk buying Twitter will absolutely mean that the owners of newspapers will increase their journalism budgets.

And there won't be any downsides! Elon Musk is a famously hands-off owner who has a firm grasp of the issues, and not at all a meddling, usually stoned blowhard who thinks he can solve difficult issues that have defeated smarter people for years. He's rich, isn't he? QED!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems to me that Twitter has held on over time for lots of big names to get info out to people following them, but it's going to be like Facebook soon where only "old" people use it. I think Musk is accelerating that exponentially. 

I'm not sure what people will go to next though. Perhaps Myspace will return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll has Governor Brian Kemp up 54 to 27 against Trump-backed David Perdue, meaning it's quite likely Kemp won't need a runoff.  The primary is May 23.  Kinda good news/bad news.  It's a clear embarrassment for Trump at pretty much ground zero of his election lies, but Kemp cruising to the nomination means he can focus on defeating Abrams.

The AJC poll also showed SOS Brad Raffensperger in a dead heat with Trump-backed Jody Hice, 28-26.  That should be an interesting runoff in June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Stacy Abrams continues sending me ma$h note$, needing my a$$i$tance in these matters.  :) :thumbsup:

Edited by Zorral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...