Jump to content

U.S. Politics: Contempt and the Courts


Zorral
 Share

Recommended Posts

There must be something big going on in Conservative World - my email heavily spammed with literal demands for donations. Claims that the Democrat Party is threatening their seat. Boasts about building the Wall. Quite a bit about the 'Migrant Bus.' At this point I'm starting to wonder if the internal poll numbers of some of these people are not looking all that great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

There must be something big going on in Conservative World - my email heavily spammed with literal demands for donations.

Solicitations usually ramp up around this time as primary season begins in earnest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Solicitations usually ramp up around this time as primary season begins in earnest.

All the more reason to shorten the entire campaign process. 

And since the the topic of making ED a national holiday came up, in a better would it would be Election Week with up to a month prior to mail in your ballot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And since the the topic of making ED a national holiday came up, in a better would it would be Election Week with up to a month prior to mail in your ballot. 

Again, y'all, the voting rights bill did pretty much all of this - both vote-by-mail and at least 15 consecutive days (including two weekends) of early voting would have been mandated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Again, y'all, the voting rights bill did pretty much all of this - both vote-by-mail and at least 15 consecutive days (including two weekends) of early voting would have been mandated.

But it's not going to happen, hence the caveat of a better world.

I'm only half joking, but maybe Will Smith needs to be deployed to get two unnamed Senators to stop acting like complete fools. Or have Jada tag along to deal with one of them... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But it's not going to happen, hence the caveat of a better world.

I'm only half joking, but maybe Will Smith needs to be deployed to get two unnamed Senators to stop acting like complete fools. Or have Jada tag along to deal with one of them...

Question: did the failure of the voting rights bill set back the the whole movement?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Question: did the failure of the voting rights bill set back the the whole movement?

I don't think so at all.  From a legislative standpoint, it achieved unanimity among all congressional Democrats (well, one nay vote in the House), which it hadn't before.  From a political standpoint, they're a whole hell of a lot better off having at least tried than if they hadn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Question: did the failure of the voting rights bill set back the the whole movement?  

Depends on how you want to define that, but I think it did establish that it's not going to pass anytime soon, if at all. And pessimistically I think Republicans will strip voting rights before Democrats can restore and strengthen them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no great place to put this (@Fragile Bird, make your business news thread already), but this did truly warm my heart. Beware all these insane financial scams flooding pop culture:

Quote

The nonfungible token of Jack Dorsey’s first tweet, which sold for $2.9 million last year to Sina Estavi, failed to garner much in the way of interest when it was recently put up for resale, Coindesk reports.

The auction for the NFT closed with only seven offers ranging from just 0.0019 Ether to 0.09 ETH, or about $6 to about $280. A far cry from the $48 million sought by the owner.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-13/dorsey-s-tweet-nft-fails-by-millions-in-resale-attempt-coindesk

Crypto and NFTs need some heavy regulation ASAP. 

Edited by Tywin et al.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Depends on how you want to define that, but I think it did establish that it's not going to pass anytime soon, if at all.

I mean, it wasn't a shock to anyone paying attention that Manchema weren't willing to do a filibuster carveout for voting rights.  If that was your standard of success you were already starting with overly optimistic expectations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, it wasn't a shock to anyone paying attention that Manchema weren't willing to do a filibuster carveout for voting rights.  If that was your standard of success you were already starting with overly optimistic expectations.

Which was well established, hence why it was always going to fail.

And I'm trying to lower expectations. Like really lower them, because that's where they belong. Nothing I've said should project optimism. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which was well established, hence why it was always going to fail.

And I'm trying to lower expectations. Like really lower them, because that's where they belong. Nothing I've said should project optimism. 

So......you don't think the bill's failure was a set back, or do you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

So......you don't think the bill's failure was a set back, or do you?

I don't think it matters to be honest. Call it moving the issue an inch forward or an inch back. Nothing changed really. And we're running out of time for substantive actions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's no great place to put this (@Fragile Bird, make your business news thread already), but this did truly warm my heart. Beware all these insane financial scams flooding pop culture:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-13/dorsey-s-tweet-nft-fails-by-millions-in-resale-attempt-coindesk

Crypto and NFTs need some heavy regulation ASAP. 

Sooner rather than later.  Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of RFIs running around about people wanting to tokenize otherwise (lightly) regulated products. This particular SEC will absolutely claim jurisdiction if something they already regulate (lightly) enters a block chain.  That said, a better edifice is needed, including on the taxation side.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's no great place to put this (@Fragile Bird, make your business news thread already), but this did truly warm my heart. Beware all these insane financial scams flooding pop culture:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-13/dorsey-s-tweet-nft-fails-by-millions-in-resale-attempt-coindesk

Crypto and NFTs need some heavy regulation ASAP. 

Crypto yes, NFTs not so much.

Anybody who spends heavy money on an internet meme is a proper moron anyway, and you can't cure stupid.

If you want to talk about morons, money and the internet. Musk has apparently made an offer to buy twitter. If you ever wanted to know how to make twitter even worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Sooner rather than later.  Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of RFIs running around about people wanting to tokenize otherwise (lightly) regulated products. This particular SEC will absolutely claim jurisdiction if something they already regulate (lightly) enters a block chain.  That said, a better edifice is needed, including on the taxation side.  

Wouldn't the entire art market a much better place to start. That basically has the same issues if I am not mistaken. But there I take a rather opportunistic position. I'd rather see rich twats buy off any Andy Warhol or Picasso they can get their hands on, than those arseholes discovering the real estate market even more.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

There must be something big going on in Conservative World - my email heavily spammed with literal demands for donations. Claims that the Democrat Party is threatening their seat. Boasts about building the Wall. Quite a bit about the 'Migrant Bus.' At this point I'm starting to wonder if the internal poll numbers of some of these people are not looking all that great.

I dearly hope their cover for the losing one term former President who lives in Florida and loves the Russian dictator is costing them support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...