UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

The Labour party is backing the calls from the Lib Dems (see 2.31pm) and the SNP (see 4.17pm) for an early recall for parliament. A Labour spokesperson said:

Johnson promised he would give a statement to the House of Commons, so we want to hear from the prime minister at the earliest possible opportunity to give him the chance to correct his lies and tender his resignation.

Obviously it is only the government who actually has the power to ask the Speaker to recall parliament.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Honestly though, I bet if Boris had come out with this idea everyone here would be sniggering and laughing at it, but because its Sturgeon, you suddenly have people scratch their chins and go 'oh that sounds like a sensible idea, hmm yes there must be something in it!'. This is just like the old 'apologising for burning witches' thing from a few weeks ago. It's pretty bizarre.

I don't know why you think this idea is viewed as so bizarre.  Granted, the fact officeholding eligibility age is the same as voting age in the UK gives detractors more ammunition to make fun of it, but lowering the voting age to 16 has been a widely discussed topic for decades among those that are, ya know, interested in studying elections and representation.  Hell, there's enough real-world data now on lowering the voting age to 16 that scholars can write a book-length comparative study on it.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

I take what is probably a different philosophical view from DMC, in that I believe if you're eligible to vote in an election you should be eligible to stand: people should qualify for the franchise fully, there should not be any 'second class' group of voters.

Yeah this is the standard argument in favor, and from a philosophical/conceptual standpoint it's very difficult to argue.  It's both logically consistent and ideally "fair."  My only response is usually (1) officeholders and voters are inherently held to different standards, that's part of the foundation of modern republicanism, and (2) yes, I am an elitist when it comes to officeholding eligibility.

41 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So that's why you put a tenner on the Tory with the German name.

Yeah but he comes from a family background that was considered undesirable in Germany for a while. That should qualify him?

37 minutes ago, kiko said:

Yeah but he comes from a family background that was considered undesirable in Germany for a while. That should qualify him?

Yes, but irrelevant wrt spocky's unconscious desire for a cabbage topping on his pizza. Not judging you spocky, that can't be worse than pineapple on a pizza.

As expected Johnson is trying to laugh it off with an apology and sail on, but that hasn't gone down too well. Attempts to get Parliament recalled to discuss the matter.

However, one ex-government minister (Tory) has said he's actually concerned about the possible alternative choices to Johnson, especially with Sunak out of the running, and although agreeing in principle Boris needs to go, he'd rather he stayed than some of the other choices become PM. This makes me wonder if Patel has been going around behind the scenes boasting that she'd drop a nuke on Moscow the second she got in, or if Dominic Raab was wandering around in a daze asking what a Ukraine was.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That's why we need a complete overhaul of our democracy. The code of honour upon which it was built no longer exists.

Knowingly lying to Parliament should carry the same penalties as perjury. 

We've got the same problem here. Sadly though those reforms are nowhere in sight. 

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That's why we need a complete overhaul of our democracy. The code of honour upon which it was built no longer exists.

Yeah this is the fundamental problem. Honour codes, unwritten rules, standards of behaviour and decency? None of these apply to the sufficiently shameless and crooked.

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Also, Britain was actually fighting in all those wars unlike this one.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

PM Patel. That mixture of cruelty, incompetence and disregard for facts or the law... You want crazy, you need crazy, you deserve crazy. Vote Patel. 

I am willing to negotiate and settle for Rees-Twat or Dorries. 

I saw a recent poll of Tory party members asking what they thought of all the cabinet ministers, which may not be exactly the same as a leadership poll (since they can like someone but not think they'd be a good PM) but might have some correlation. Patel was dead last in terms of popularity.

On the other hand, Dominic Raab is worryingly high there.

Archived