UK Politics: Cost of Living Crisis

Raja

Getting interesting. It seems that enough Tory MPs have had their ears sufficiently bent by their constituents that they were not even willing to vote for an investigation into Johnson's conduct to be delayed, let alone blocked. Despite the three line whip to try to make them.

I wonder how much Johnson having (very typically) run away has influenced their thinking?

Edit: And now right wing pro Brexit Tory MP Steve Baker has called for Johnson to quit. That feels significant. He says that Johnson's behaviour in the 1922 meeting on Tuesday night was the last straw. A good characterisation of Johnson's behaviour too:

Having watched [Johnson's] contrition... it only lasted as long as it took to get out of the headmaster's study

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, a lot of people saying his behaviour in that meeting was beyond the pale. 

I'm really, really enjoying this.

Rats deserting a sinking ship. Fuck them also, being a bit less morally reprehensible than BJ isnt something to be proud of you evil fucks.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Rats deserting a sinking ship. Fuck them also, being a bit less morally reprehensible than BJ isnt something to be proud of you evil fucks.

Exactly. Anyone wondering what prompted Baker to go from calling for 'mercy' yesterday, to today's volte face, only has to look at this:

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Exactly. Anyone wondering what prompted Baker to go from calling for 'mercy' yesterday, to today's complete volte face, only has to look at this:

How apt, my train literally just went through High Wycombe Station as I read this. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope they don't get rid of him quickly. I want a death from 1000 cuts. 

It does seem quite possible. I really don't see Johnson going willingly. Certainly I think he values his own egotistic satisfaction more than the Tory party,

I think it would take a very broad based consensus of Tories leaning on him very hard to make him resign. So I think that the majority of us who don't support the current incarnation of the Tory party can hope that he will do them a good deal more damage before he is finally forced out.

10 minutes ago, A wilding said:

It does seem quite possible. I really don't see Johnson going willingly. Certainly I think he values his own egotistic satisfaction more than the Tory party,

I think it would take a very broad based consensus of Tories leaning on him very hard to make him resign. So I think that the majority of us who don't support the current incarnation of the Tory party can hope that he will do them a good deal more damage before he is finally forced out.

If its going to affect their power, JRM will have him off to Azkaban sharpish. 

Sounds like the Tories are finally going to do something that will be welcomed by every single citizen of this country. Priti Patel is allegedly out, jobless, at the next reshuffle.

ETA: Though, his plans might change once Patel breaks out her Israeli-supplied videos of Bozo shagging one of Epstein's teenagers. :P

646 Covid deaths yesterday. Six hundred and forty six. Why the fuck is Boris Johnson  going on TV claiming we are the fastest nation to emerge from the pandemic when we continue to have the highest death rate in the world.

Is this what living with the virus looks like? A  of people dying every day?

12 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

646 Covid deaths yesterday. Six hundred and forty six. Why the fuck is Boris Johnson  going on TV claiming we are the fastest nation to emerge from the pandemic when we continue to have the highest death rate in the world.

Is this what living with the virus looks like? A  of people dying every day?

That's very interesting considering that Covid deaths have been steadily around 150-250 a day mark for a while. For it to suddenly jump up to 650 (is that a day?) would put it at levels not seen since last April. In fact the latest figure for UK deaths I can find from April 15th was 249. So either something very odd has happened to the reporting from week to week.. I'm going to guess numbers being bunch up because of Easter, or there has been a sudden massacre of people in unheard of levels. 

I always read reactions (in the UK) to any of Harry's interviews with mild bemusement. Who are these people who take offense on behalf of QEII to the most banal of comments?By all accounts they had a pleasant time together.

Anyway, anyone remember the brouhaha when Michelle Obama hugged her? Good times, good times.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I always read reactions (in the UK) to any of Harry's interviews with mild bemusement. Who are these people who take offense on behalf of QEII to the most banal of comments?By all accounts they had a pleasant time together.

Anyway, anyone remember the brouhaha when Michelle Obama hugged her? Good times, good times.

They're the people who are offended by the idea that Harry would marry a mixed-race foreigner instead of a proper white upper-class English girl.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Must be an incredibly small number of people then

Judging by the play it gets in the media even here in Canada, I imagine they are as numerous in per capital terms as Trump supporters. Media outlets do know their audience. 

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Judging by the play it gets in the media even here in Canada, I imagine they are as numerous in per capital terms as Trump supporters. Media outlets do know their audience. 

Yeah I'm really struggling to think of other reasons why Meghan and Harry might be unpopular or that stories about them would get airtime. Baffling really. 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

The Venn diagram of these people and Brexiteers is a near perfect circle. Not a small number, but a group that someone, inexplicably, needs to carry water for.

Archived