If House Dustin or House Stark were to establish a port city at the mouth of the river leading from the lake at Torrhen's Square to the Saltspear, who would rule the port city?

Alex13

Would a new house be created with the house becoming a vassal or House Dustin or House Stark? Or would it be an independent house, with possibly their own vassal/s and answering directly to House Stark?

And would House Dustin be able to directly control it, possibly moving their castle/court to the new port city or will they or the Starks (depending on who establishes the castle) have to give it to someone?

If the Starks were to establish the port city, with the city and the lands around it remaining within the control of House Dustin, would they be able to create a new lord, without any relation to the Dustin's and they make them vassals of House Dustin? Or would they have to create a new cadet branch of House Dustin? 

1 hour ago, Loose Bolt said:

I am almost sure that theoretical port city would not survive long bc Ironborn would start raiding both city and any ships that would try to sail either from or to that city. Or I assume that is major reason why Barrowtown is so far from the sea.

But if the Stark's/the North would be very interested in establishing a port city there, would they also not develop a fleet, to protect the city and the merchant ships? 

Plus, if the Ironborn start raiding the city, then wouldn't that be a declaration of war and would they not be breaking the king's peace? 

The last time they attacked a city on the western coast of Westeros, it was Lannisport and the Greyjoy rebellion had started. 

I'd say create a new vassal to the Starks. A fishing fleet would help the north during winter with food security. Makes sense to invest in a port there, even with the Ironborn. I definitely wouldn't give it to the Dustins. The other river between the Stoney Shore and the Rills could be a good place for one as well.

It’s kinda be a big deal to take control of that land away from the Dustins. Do you mean as some kind of punitive action? Because otherwise you are not only taking away land, but control of w/e river/sea trade they have currently. If you’re determined to make a new house there, I’d make them vassals of House Dustin. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

It’s kinda be a big deal to take control of that land away from the Dustins. Do you mean as some kind of punitive action? Because otherwise you are not only taking away land, but control of w/e river/sea trade they have currently. If you’re determined to make a new house there, I’d make them vassals of House Dustin. 

Here's a good solution to the Dustin/Stark dispute over that land and ownership issue. Have the Dustins remain vassals over the land, while also giving that city to a Stark off-branch. That way, the prestige and face of Houses Stark and Dustin are both saved, since they both technically got control of that territory.

9 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Here's a good solution to the Dustin/Stark dispute over that land and ownership issue. Have the Dustins remain vassals over the land, while also giving that city to a Stark off-branch. That way, the prestige and face of Houses Stark and Dustin are both saved, since they both technically got control of that territory.

Wouldn’t that set House Stark up for trouble down the line? You’d have an offshoot house of blood relatives under the thumb of an ambitious and powerful vassal house that used to be kings. Someone at some point is going to cause trouble for the main branch of House Stark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems to me either a bad idea or a impossible one to me.

Firstly, it would be on the western face of Westeros with not really alot of traffic or places to trade with. Not exactly a future metropol until someone can find western see routes to Asshai or a new continent. Sure it could be a fishing hub but that would not be enougth for a city, maybe for a small town.

And for it being a bad idea it would divert the trade that Barrowton has, and would be a rival for being the economic center of the South West of the North. Barrowton seems to place the Dustins in being one of the major's bannermen of the Stark's, if it is weaken than the Dustin would be weaken and I doubt that they would like that and push against it. And like I said a town or city here would most likely not be worth alienating the Dustins.

Archived