Arya Stark's height and build

AryaRegina

Height
We don’t know a lot about Arya’s height, but we do learn in ASOS that she’s small for her age at around 4 feet tall, and that she’s growing while in Braavos.

Beside the embers of their campfire, she saw Tom, Lem, and Greenbeard talking to a tiny little woman, a foot shorter than Arya and older than Old Nan, all stooped and wrinkled and leaning on a gnarled black cane.
-Arya IV, ASOS
Ned, Gendry, and many of the others were fast asleep when Arya spied the small pale shape creeping behind the horses, thin white hair flying wild as she leaned upon a gnarled cane. The woman could not have been more than three feet tall. The firelight made her eyes gleam as red as the eyes of Jon’s wolf. He was a ghost too. Arya stole closer, and knelt to watch.
Arya VIII, ASOS
Skinny as they were, her legs were strong and springy and growing longer every day. She was glad of that. A water dancer needs good legs. Blind Beth was no water dancer, but she would not be Beth forever.
-The Blind Virl, ADWD

Build
Arya being skinny is mentioned quite often, here’s a few of them:

Jon looked her over with all his fourteen-year-old wisdom. “You’re too skinny,” he said. He took her arm to feel her muscle. Then he sighed and shook his head. “I doubt you could even lift a longsword, little sister, never mind swing one.”    
-Arya I, AGOT
And Arya … he missed her even more than Robb, skinny little thing that she was, all scraped knees and tangled hair and torn clothes, so fierce and willful. Arya never seemed to fit, no more than he had … yet she could always make Jon smile. He would give anything to be with her now, to muss up her hair once more and watch her make a face, to hear her finish a sentence with him.
-Jon III, AGOT 
Arya took her right hand off the grip and wiped her sweaty palm on her pants. She held the sword in her left hand. He seemed to approve. “The left is good. All is reversed, it will make your enemies more awkward. Now you are standing wrong. Turn your body sideface, yes, so. You are skinny as the shaft of a spear, do you know. That is good too, the target is smaller. Now the grip. Let me see.”
-Arya II, AGOT
Elmar’s eyes got as big as boiled eggs. Leeches terrified him, especially the big pale ones that looked like jelly until they filled up with blood. “I forgot, you’re too skinny to push such a heavy barrel.”
-Arya X, ACOK
She should be more frightened herself, she knew. She was only ten, a skinny girl on a stolen horse with a dark forest ahead of her and men behind who would gladly cut off her feet. Yet somehow she felt calmer than she ever had in Harrenhal.
-Arya I, ASOS
“He is not a lord,” a child’s voice put in. “He’s in the Night’s Watch, stupid. From Westeros.” A girl edged into the light, pushing a barrow full of seaweed; a scruffy, skinny creature in big boots, with ragged unwashed hair.
-Samwell III, AFFC

Arya Underfoot, he almost said. Arya Horseface. Robb’s younger sister, brown-haired, long-faced, skinny as a stick, always dirty.
-Reek I, ADWD

Other size mentions

She heard shouts, then pounding footsteps, closing behind her. She dropped and rolled. The red cloak went careening past her, stumbling. Arya sprang back to her feet. She saw a window above her, high and narrow, scarcely more than an arrow slit. Arya leapt, caught the sill, pulled herself up. She held her breath as she wriggled through.
-Arya III, AGOT

She scrambled up onto the catwalk. The parapets were a bit too high and Arya a bit too short; she had to wedge her toes into the holes between the stones to see over.
-Arya II, ACOK

She was very small and Harrenhal was very large, full of places where a mouse could hide.
-Arya VII, ACOK

She could see the gleam of steel under the fur, and she did not know if she was strong enough to drive the point of the dagger through chainmail. His throat, it must be his throat, but he’s too tall, I’ll never reach it.
-Arya X, ACOK

So the next morning as they broke their fast, Lady Smallwood gave her breeches, belt, and tunic to wear, and a brown doeskin jerkin dotted with iron studs. “They were my son’s things,” she said. “He died when he was seven.”
-Arya IV, ASOS

As Arya was cinching her saddle girth, Gendry came up to say that he was sorry. She put a foot in the stirrup and swung up into her saddle, so she could look down on him instead of up.
-Arya VIII, ASOS

Salty was too small to man an oar, she knew that now, but she could learn to splice ropes and reef the sails and steer a course across the great salt seas.
-Arya I, AFFC

“You were a cat, they tell me. Prowling through the alleys smelling of fish, selling cockles and mussels for coin. A small life, well suited for a small creature such as you. Ask, and it can be restored to you. Push your barrow, cry your cockles, be content. Your heart is too soft to be one of us.”
-The Ugly Little Girl, ADWD

TWOW, Mercy chapter:

Spoiler

“I’ll make a eunuch of you if you keep unlacing yourself just so I’ll fiddle with your crotch.”
“We were meant to be together, Mercy,” Bobono insisted. “Look, we’re just the same height.”
“Only when I’m on my knees. Do you remember your first line?”

-Mercy, TWOW

I find it amusing that Arya is this skinny, little girl, considering how some readers likes to pretend that she's somehow all brawn, no brain. When the truth of it is, she is pretty much no brawn, all brain. She's clever and quick (of both mind and body), she's not this muscly female knight.
Arya is strong for her stature, but more like a gymnast. She's a rogue, not a barbarian:laugh:

As for a grown up Arya, how do you think she'll end up, height wise? I personally suspect she'll be a short adult, but she'll look taller from a distance, because of her build and face (I've heard long faces makes you look taller?).

10 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

I think among other reasons, Arya is short and skinny so that we will believe that she passed as a boy for a while. Just guessing. Also, she is a rogue not a warrior and she is in a cult that is Stranger based. 

Good point, though she did only pass for a boy for a little while, by ASOS she was recognized as a girl, even with short hair and wearing boy clothes.

Dany is short and skinny as well, so I don't think it's a coincidence our two heroines are tiny girls with these huge, monstrous beasts bonded to them.
It's a good image, because small girls are thought to be harmless and innocent, but here they are, anything but that:laugh:

5 minutes ago, AryaRegina said:

Good point, though she did only pass for a boy for a little while, by ASOS she was recognized as a girl, even with short hair and wearing boy clothes.

Dany is short and skinny as well, so I don't think it's a coincidence our two heroines are tiny girls with these huge, monstrous beasts bonded to them.
It's a good image, because small girls are thought to be harmless and innocent, but here they are, anything but that:laugh:

Hey, since you're pairing Dany and Arya, have you ever considered Arya's rescuing of Jacqen, Biter and Rorge in light of Dany's dragon birthing ceremony? 

As far as how tall Arya will be…I would say that you can’t know yet. Sansa is tall. Catelyn is tall, I think? Generally, you would look at family patterns, because relative height can change a lot. Then, throw some Children into the mix, and none of us know.

5 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Hey, since you're pairing Dany and Arya, have you ever considered Arya's rescuing of Jacqen, Biter and Rorge in light of Dany's dragon birthing ceremony? 

That's not something I've ever considered. I've found a lot of similarities between the two of them, both in looks, personality, plot, even wording in their chapters,  but that's not one. I'd like to hear your thoughts:)

4 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

As far as how tall Arya will be…I would say that you can’t know yet. Sansa is tall. Catelyn is tall, I think? Generally, you would look at family patterns, because relative height can change a lot. Then, throw some Children into the mix, and none of us know.

True.
Jon's not the tallest, he had to wear Longclaw over his shoulder, instead of his hip, and he (and Robb) was shorter than 12yo Joffrey, but he's still growing, so not the best example.
Ned was shorter than Brandon, but that's not saying much.
The mystery knight, if that was Lyanna, was short of stature, but short for a grown man, could be tall for a 14yo girl.
And none of them were ever starving and struggling in their childhood like Arya had to , so I'll guess we just have to wait and see. It's a fun and harmless topic to think about and discuss though:)

31 minutes ago, AryaRegina said:

That's not something I've ever considered. I've found a lot of similarities between the two of them, both in looks, personality, plot, even wording in their chapters,  but that's not one. I'd like to hear your thoughts:)

There were a couple of similarities that I only caught recently. Off the top of my head there was the fire and a large CRACK and it was the crack that reminded me of Dany's dragons. 3 dragons/ 3 prisoners. I'll try to take another look this evening, I think there were a few more parallels that are escaping me right now.

Arya is very small even for her age. Below average in height and weight. A growth spurt is possible but not really likely. I do not think Arya is meant to blossom into a beauty. 

Dany is short for a Targaryen but she is within average. The Targaryens are considered beautiful. I accept that to mean that they have beautiful builds in addition to attractive faces. 

13 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

There were a couple of similarities that I only caught recently. Off the top of my head there was the fire and a large CRACK and it was the crack that reminded me of Dany's dragons. 3 dragons/ 3 prisoners. I'll try to take another look this evening, I think there were a few more parallels that are escaping me right now.

Interesting! What do you think it means? Just a coincidence, or something more?

10 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Arya is very small even for her age. Below average in height and weight. A growth spurt is possible but not really likely. I do not think Arya is meant to blossom into a beauty. 

Dany is short for a Targaryen but she is within average. The Targaryens are considered beautiful. I accept that to mean that they have beautiful builds in addition to attractive faces. 

I'm confused where you're going with this, why bring something as subjective as beauty into the conversation about stature?
Also, I understand forgetting things from the books, they're big, and there's stuff I've completely forgotten too:)
So, not that it matters, considering Arya is still a child, but she is already canonically beautiful.

"You believe this is the only place for you." It was as if he'd heard her thoughts. "You are wrong in that. You would find softer service in the household of some merchant. Or would you sooner be a courtesan, and have songs sung of your beauty? Speak the word, and we will send you to the Black Pearl or the Daughter of the Dusk. You will sleep on rose petals and wear silken skirts that rustle when you walk, and great lords will beggar themselves for your maiden's blood. Or if it is marriage and children you desire, tell me, and we shall find a husband for you. Some honest apprentice boy, a rich old man, a seafarer, whatever you desire."
-Arya II, AFFC

They brought a robe for her as well, the soft thick robe of an acolyte, black upon one side and white upon the other. "Wear this when you are here," the priest said, "but know that you shall have little need of it for the present. On the morrow you will go to Izembaro to begin your first apprenticeship. Take what clothes you will from the vaults below. The city watch is looking for a certain ugly girl, known to frequent the Purple Harbor, so best you have a new face as well." He cupped her chin, turned her head this way and that, nodded. "A pretty one this time, I think. As pretty as your own. Who are you, child?"
"No one," she replied.

I think she'll end up considered a wild beauty, like her aunt Lyanna. They already look alike as children, so I don't think that's a leap.

As for Dany, I really enjoy that the character who is the most beautiful girl in the books, is not what you'd expect from that title.
Dany is small, skinny, she does not have much curves, and she has short hair.
Still, very beautiful, but I imagine her looking more like Tamzin than Emilia.

Arya is underfed for a while while she's on the road, then taken prisoner, walking miles upon miles a day. It makes sense that it would have stunted her growth a little. Arya was 11 in ADwD, so she spent something like a year and half living through instability and moving around and through a war zone.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:47 PM, AryaRegina said:

The mystery knight, if that was Lyanna, was short of stature, but short for a grown man, could be tall for a 14yo girl.

Precisely. The expectation about the Knight of the Laughing Tree is that he's a man, which would make him short in stature. But a 14 year old girl might actually be within the expected height for her age.  

Arya Stark is way smaller than the average girl of her age.  You might say Arya is a runt.  

3 hours ago, three-eyed monkey said:

By the end of the series Arya will stand taller than the pony Bran rode in his first chapter, twice the size of the largest hound in Ned's kennels, with dark golden eyes and shaggy grey fur.

The above has made a good case.  Arya Stark will warg into Nymeria and become the leader of her own pack of wolves at the end after her death.  Arya's story is about leaving behind her skin.  Stark and wolf on the inside but animal on the outside.  

On 4/14/2022 at 1:49 AM, Damsel in Distress said:

Arya will mature to have the same type of physique as Meera.  Shorter and smaller but the same kind of figure as Meera.  She will look rough. Like a wildling. 

Arya and Meera do already have several similarities in canon, so I agree that this can be another one:)
I don't understand the rough like a wildling part?
I do think she fits the "warrior princess" more than the "willowy creature who sits up in a tower, brushing her hair and waiting for some knight to rescue her". So if that's sort of what you mean, I agree.

6 hours ago, three-eyed monkey said:

By the end of the series Arya will stand taller than the pony Bran rode in his first chapter, twice the size of the largest hound in Ned's kennels, with dark golden eyes and shaggy grey fur.

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is way smaller than the average girl of her age.  You might say Arya is a runt.  

The above has made a good case.  Arya Stark will warg into Nymeria and become the leader of her own pack of wolves at the end after her death.  Arya's story is about leaving behind her skin.  Stark and wolf on the inside but animal on the outside.  

Really? We could not have a singly thread about Arya without theories about her dying?
I'd like this to not end up another Arya hate thread please, there's already so many of them for you to choose from.

13 hours ago, AryaRegina said:

Really? We could not have a singly thread about Arya without theories about her dying?
I'd like this to not end up another Arya hate thread please, there's already so many of them for you to choose from.

I don't hate Arya, in fact she is one of my favorite characters.

You asked:

On 4/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, AryaRegina said:

As for a grown up Arya, how do you think she'll end up, height wise? I personally suspect she'll be a short adult, but she'll look taller from a distance, because of her build and face (I've heard long faces makes you look taller?).

I simply answered your question. My answer is not based on any hatred for Arya but rather on her story in the books and where I feel it's going. I don't see how suggesting that a character we like will die before the end of this series equates to hate.

Arya's story is a tragic one, and since her father's murder she's been progressing along an increasingly dark path. The question is can she be redeemed? The majority of readers, like you and I, want her to be redeemed because we understand that she is a victim. But I don't think the answer to the question of her redemption will be as simple as yes or no with GRRM.

While I am saying Arya will die, it is well established that skinchangers have second lives. Varamyr Sixskins considers a direwolf a second life worthy of a king, or a queen in this case, a concept which fits well with your username. This way the wounded girl bent on vengeance can die but the wild young girl with wolfsblood in her veins can have a second life where she is free and wild as she desires.

Nymeria is a female wolf, perhaps the last female direwolf, and as such we can draw a connection back to Bran I, AGoT, and the mother direwolf who gave birth to the Stark pups. There is a strong theme throughout the story regarding history repeating itself in Westeros. In such a scenario future Starks would, one day late in a dwindling summer, find descendants of Arya/Nymeria to help them confront the coming winter.

As such, I feel Arya's arc will be sad yet triumphant in many ways. That's my opinion, you might disagree, but I assure you it's not based on any hatred for Arya.

On a nerdish note, Arya always reminded me of Alita, the manga (GUNMNN) character: kinda small (if you compare her height to her enemies') but very agile. Alita also has some artstic gymnastic moves (to which I can also compare Arya's 'water dance').

On 4/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, three-eyed monkey said:

I’ll admit you’ve halfway sold me on this here. 

On 4/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Very cool! Nice pick up!

Yea ok, they're in a barn surrounded by stuff like Drogos possessions and while Jorah thought Dany was nuttier then a Snickers Gendry also couldn't understand why Arya would rescue them.

She created three lives, that's kinda what Jaqen said. So while Drogo Rhaego and MMD had to die to create life, the three criminals lived to create death? 

Total monsters too, and I'm not talking about the Godzilla that cyphed the farmers kid. Very interesting parallels. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Arya is underfed for a while while she's on the road, then taken prisoner, walking miles upon miles a day. It makes sense that it would have stunted her growth a little. Arya was 11 in ADwD, so she spent something like a year and half living through instability and moving around and through a war zone.

Idk. She's not weasel. The times in between Yorens death and Harrenhall were bad, that's like a couple weeks at most. Then after leaving Harrenhall but before being abducted by Harwin was also bad but also less then ten days. She ate full meals most for most of those eighteen months, slept on a bed and everything. 

Her free hand closed around her tankard, and she swung it at Lem's face. The ale sloshed over the rim and splashed into his eyes, and she heard his nose break and saw the spurt of blood. When he roared his hands went to his face, and she was free. "Run!" she screamed, bolting.

But Lem was on her again at once, with his long legs that made one of his steps equal to three of hers.

Tiny person. But suprsingly strong, breaking a grown ass man's nose in one hit?

On 4/14/2022 at 12:15 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I always feel so so sad for her when reading her chapters:crying:

8 hours ago, three-eyed monkey said:

I don't hate Arya, in fact she is one of my favorite characters.

(..)

Sorry for misreading your post, but I still don't want this to end up another "Arya is going to die" thread, I'm weary of those.
Because I believe Arya ending up dead, and briefly warging Nymeria postmortem, would not be a triumphant ending, it would not even be a bittersweet ending, it would be miserable.
"They say you forget," Haggon had told him, a few weeks before his own death. "When the man's flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains."
I'm also not of the belief that Arya needs a redemption arc, she's not evil or cruel at heart,  she's just had a rotten luck with "caretakers". And as both Bran and Sansa also has bad mentors, I think breaking free of their influences is something the plots of the Stark children will have in common.
But that's all off-topic, sorry.

8 hours ago, Jon Fossoway said:

On a nerdish note, Arya always reminded me of Alita, the manga (GUNMNN) character: kinda small (if you compare her height to her enemies') but very agile. Alita also has some artstic gymnastic moves (to which I can also compare Arya's 'water dance').

Yeah, Arya being gymnastic I something I've noticed too!

On the way back to his chambers, he came upon his daughter Arya on the winding steps of the Tower of the Hand, windmilling her arms as she struggled to balance on one leg. The rough stone had scuffed her bare feet. Ned stopped and looked at her. "Arya, what are you doing?"
"Syrio says a water dancer can stand on one toe for hours." Her hands flailed at the air to steady herself.
Ned had to smile. "Which toe?" he teased.
"Any toe," Arya said, exasperated with the question. She hopped from her right leg to her left, swaying dangerously before she regained her balance.

-Eddard V, AGOT

Arya sprang back to her feet. She saw a window above her, high and narrow, scarcely more than an arrow slit. Arya leapt, caught the sill, pulled herself up. She held her breath as she wriggled through. Slippery as an eel. Dropping to the floor in front of a startled scrubwoman, she hopped up, brushed the rushes off her clothes, and was off again, out the door and along a long hall, down a stair, across a hidden courtyard, around a corner and over a wall and through a low narrow window into a pitch-dark cellar.
-Arya III, AGOT

Arya hopped from the high branch to one beneath it, her hands out for balance. A water dancer never falls. Lightfoot, her toes curled tight around the branch, she walked a few feet, hopped down to a larger limb, then swung hand over hand through the tangle of leaves until she reached the trunk. The bark was rough beneath her fingers, against her toes. She descended quickly, jumping down the final six feet, rolling when she landed.
-Arya V, ACOK

Whenever she had a free hour she stole away to work at the drills Syrio had taught her, moving barefoot over the fallen leaves, slashing at branches and whacking down leaves. Sometimes she even climbed the trees and danced among the upper branches, her toes gripping the limbs as she moved back and forth, teetering a little less every day as her balance returned to her. Night was the best time; no one ever bothered her at night.
-Arya IX, ACOK

The bars were too narrow to pass a cup through, but Harwin and Gendry offered her a leg up. She planted a foot in Harwin's cupped hands, vaulted onto Gendry's shoulders, and grabbed the bars on top of the cage.
-Arya V, ASOS

Cat of the Canals had known these alleys, and the ugly girl remembered. She darted left, vaulted a low wall, leapt across a small canal, and slipped through an unlocked door into some dusty storeroom.

4 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Idk. She's not weasel. The times in between Yorens death and Harrenhall were bad, that's like a couple weeks at most. Then after leaving Harrenhall but before being abducted by Harwin was also bad but also less then ten days. She ate full meals most for most of those eighteen months, slept on a bed and everything. 

She did eat daily meals at Harrenhal, but not filling meals considering the hard labour she had to do. At first it doesn't sound so bad:

The work was hard, but no harder than walking miles every day. Weasel did not need to find worms and bugs to eat, as Arry had; there was bread every day, and barley stews with bits of carrot and turnip, and once a fortnight even a bite of meat.
-Arya VII, ACOK

but then we learn what's actually meant by barley "stew" and daily bread

Supper that evening was a thin stew of barley, onion, and carrots, with a wedge of stale brown bread.
-Arya VIII, ACOK

4 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Tiny person. But suprsingly strong, breaking a grown ass man's nose in one hit?

She had some practice:laugh:

She vaulted off her own donkey and poked him in the gut as he tried to get up and he sat back down with a grunt. Then she whacked him across the face and his nose made a crack like a branch breaking. Blood dribbled from his nostrils.
-Arya I, ACOK

It's even brought back up when she broke Lem's, and I like how she apologizes months after the incident, she's sweet

"I'm sorry I beat you that time," she said. Hot Pie was stupid and craven, but he'd been with her all the way from King's Landing and she'd gotten used to him. "I broke your nose."
"You broke Lem's too." Hot Pie grinned. "That was good."
-Arya III, ASOS

1 hour ago, AryaRegina said:

I always feel so so sad for her when reading her chapters:crying:

For sure, but she can be inspiring too

Sorry for misreading your post, but I still don't want this to end up another "Arya is going to die" thread, I'm weary of those.
Because I believe Arya ending up dead, and briefly warging Nymeria postmortem, would not be a triumphant ending, it would not even be a bittersweet ending, it would be miserable.

Idk, GRRM has a way with with writing. Maybe it won't be so miserable?

She did eat daily meals at Harrenhal, but not filling meals considering the hard labour she had to do. At first it doesn't sound so bad:

The work was hard, but no harder than walking miles every day. Weasel did not need to find worms and bugs to eat, as Arry had; there was bread every day, and barley stews with bits of carrot and turnip, and once a fortnight even a bite of meat.
-Arya VII, ACOK

but then we learn what's actually meant by barley "stew" and daily bread

Supper that evening was a thin stew of barley, onion, and carrots, with a wedge of stale brown bread.
-Arya VIII, ACOK

This definitely sounds wack from our perspective, or an aristocrat like Arya, but contemporary Westeros folk dont eat any better.

Also Hot Pie worked in the kitchen and didn't snitch when Arya kept stealing fresh food. The work to bad food ratio was still bad though and although she was in HH for like 6 months (give or take) a decent amount was as cupbearer so I think her work to food improved then.

Anyway, I don't think any of this stunted her growth (I think it made her way stronger), Starks are just kind of a short bunch, but who knows she's only hitting puberty now.

She had some practice:laugh:

She vaulted off her own donkey and poked him in the gut as he tried to get up and he sat back down with a grunt. Then she whacked him across the face and his nose made a crack like a branch breaking. Blood dribbled from his nostrils.
-Arya I, ACOK

It's even brought back up when she broke Lem's, and I like how she apologizes months after the incident, she's sweet

"I'm sorry I beat you that time," she said. Hot Pie was stupid and craven, but he'd been with her all the way from King's Landing and she'd gotten used to him. "I broke your nose."
"You broke Lem's too." Hot Pie grinned. "That was good."
-Arya III, ASOS

Lol word.

Lol yea, she's got manners she just only uses them at formal times, like saying goodbye to a friend.  (Lol "gotten used to him")

Archived