Football: Roll of the Dyche

Iskaral Pust

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Potter has done as good a job at Brighton as Dyche did at Burnley and with resources just as limited

I mean, that just isn't true. Burnley's net spend is about 10mil less in the entire nine years Dyche has been in charge as Brighton's in the three seasons when Potter has been in charge, and the pure transfer fees aren't too far off either before they start to balance the books. Wages don't seem to be too dissimilar though Brighton are still spending more, but he's had way more money to invest in players and they'd already plunged quite a lot in before he took charge too. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

but also means that they are often facing a low block which is difficult to break down with players of limited technical ability.

I mean, that's pretty much an extension of what I was saying, about them not taking risks and playing wide rather than through, and doesn't change my argument- whether you think the problem is finishing or a low block making it harder to play through, Potter's been there long enough and invested in enough money to either buy better finishers or buy better players at picking through a deep line than just Leandro Trossard, who they more or less rely on for that at the moment. 

I'm not saying he's not a good manager, coz he clearly is but I think there's this perception that whatever issues the team has aren't really his fault and he'll do better the moment he gets more recources and that's really no more proven than it is for... well, Dyche. He just hasn't spent wisely on forwards even accounting for the relative resources, for me.  

Like, I get why people prefer Potter over Stone Cold, I definitely get why he's likely to get chances for a richer club with ambition... but Dyche has definitely achieved more with less so far for me. Potter has kicked on with Brighton this season, but Burnley got into Europe once, and finished 10th another time, so Potter'll have to prove he can keep that up long term before he can count that as a head-to-head plus.  

Brighton are very good and made us look pants yesterday, but I do wonder how much of the their scoring problems can be blamed on lack of personnel. It seems like they're not drilled to be clinical in the final third, hardly any crosses into the box for example.

It could be case of Potter being a mini-Wenger where he just wants his team to pass it into the net all the time.

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

profoundly enjoyable ending to the Newcastle match. excellent assist from the Leicester defender, too.

Myself and MC could do with some back up in here if you want to fully commit to Newcastle. 

41 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Myself and MC could do with some back up in here if you want to fully commit to Newcastle. 

It's safe to assume that the number of Newcastle fans will increase significantly in the upcoming couple of seasons so you two are not likely to be so lonely for long.

25 minutes ago, baxus said:

It's safe to assume that the number of Newcastle fans will increase significantly in the upcoming couple of seasons so you two are not likely to be so lonely for long.

Yeah, but fuck glory hunters, we'd rather have people of character (and power) like @Xray the Enforcer wouldn't we @MercenaryChef!

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I wish I had it in me to support multiple football clubs...but I hate everyone else.

What you need is a Big Team Who Win Things, in addition to The Arsenal.

I've got Liverpool. Best season for years!

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You probably want to get Leeds in the mix also. 

good idea. hopefully they'll stay out of the relegation zone, because it's incredibly difficult to get non-EPL matches in the States without a lot of effort. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I wish I had it in me to support multiple football clubs...but I hate everyone else.

well, it helps that footy (the whole sport, not just individual clubs) is something I watch for fun, rather than for any of the reasons why people end up with an intense emotional investment in a singular club's fortunes.

59 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

good idea. hopefully they'll stay out of the relegation zone, because it's incredibly difficult to get non-EPL matches in the States without a lot of effort. 

well, it helps that footy (the whole sport, not just individual clubs) is something I watch for fun, rather than for any of the reasons why people end up with an intense emotional investment in a singular club's fortunes.

That sounds like the secret of happiness. Imagine if you were deeply invested in the fortunes of West Ham, London Irish and the England cricket team. Pass me the revolver and the Scotch.

15 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

:lol:

Some people hunt glory: I crave chaos. That's why I've been a Spurs, West Ham, and Newcastle fan for almost 20 years. 

Klopp elevating the club to a whole other level made people forget that Liverpool are kings of chaos! There's Istanbul, there's Crystanbul, and there's everything in between... you name it and Liverpool has done it.

Kinda amusing how silent pg and consi are when it comes to chaos. 

Anyway, in the 2.000 in terms of misery and chaos I offer this.

Winning promotion to play top flight. Beat Bayern at home (strong incarnation of Bayern with Kahn and Effenberg), relegation at the end of the season all the same (2002). Next season, another relegation(2003). Club at the verge of bankruptcy. Play third tier football for a few years, Manage to make a cup run into semi-final (05-06), get into the semi-final and be at least back on sound financial terms. Win back promotion into second tier football. Play there for a few seasons (stability on the pitch), while the supervisory board and the board of directors are fighting each others. Win promotion to the top flight (2010), After the last game of the season part of the stadium gets demolished to make room for the (long overdue) reconstruction. Board and supervisory board still fighting each other, and things end up in court (over whether the club president resigned or not). Board of directors(Club President) claims contracts are in place for the reconstruction, supervisory board say nothing of that soort, and the south end of the stadium was demolished wtihout a proper plan. Annual club meeting with the confrontation between supervisory board (backed by the ultras) and the board of directors (backed by a majority of club members).  Directors ultimately win the show down and get re-elected stadium rebuild/construction progress as promised by some miracle. Drop out of top flight at the end of the season (2011). Club President resigns, as he had done his part of getting the club's finances in order and got the stadium rebuild underway. Miss out on promotion a few times, avoid relegation a few times, with a team that was apparently only performing for half a season for the past few seasons. 

I was just feeling some mild guilt that Liverpool had a relatively easy draw for most of the FA Cup this year, but then I saw that Chelsea had an even easier path.  My conscience is clear now.

I’ve no idea what team to expect from Liverpool tomorrow evening.  It’s a very quick turnaround after a draining game against City on a larger pitch at Wembley.  Probably Henderson, Jones, Matip, Jota and possibly Firmino will come into the team.  We may even see Tsimikas and Gomez too at FB.  It’s risky to rotate a lot because it’s still a grudge match for United, but it’s also risky to push players into their red zone.

Archived