Football: Roll of the Dyche

Iskaral Pust

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm not sure it needed him to lie on the ground for five minutes.

Probably not. But it's just routine gamesmenship. All the liverpool players surrounding the ref isn't on either but all of this is  just part of the game, with him buying time to get to HT ( seen everywhere up & down the country)

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

Probably not. But it's just routine gamesmenship.

It's not that routine for players to spend the amount of time Richarlison did on the ground in the first half, he's pretty clearly one of the worst offenders in the league. More to the point once the ref had ignored him and let Liverpool play on he was just hurting his own team by continuing to lie there and leave the rest of the side to defend with 10 men.

34 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Gordon does have something about him, but he's by far the biggest diver in the league. That's like his fourth already.

Having said that, I thought the TAA shove on him should have been a free kick.

Think his "problem" (in addition to having Gordon down as a diver) is that if he gives the free kick, he'll have to start considering a red. Neither Matip nor van Dijk is in an area where they can be said to cover the area between Gordon and Allison for certain. And when his options include an early red card, I think he took the easy road.

Everton were fairly unlucky, they should have had a penalty and given something to hold onto they may well have come away with something with Liverpool not really hitting their stride. It is looking fairly grim for them with Burnley suddenly hitting a run of form.

Ugly, difficult game.  I’m glad we won it.  It’s Everton’s prerogative to play like Atletico to scrounge points but they just burned through any goodwill or sympathy from the Liverpool fan base.  That’s not worth any points to them so perhaps they don’t care but relegation could feel even worse if the red half of the city is reveling in their misery — which I don’t think was the case before that match.  Anyway, we let their antics set the tone in the first half, but took better control in the second half, especially with good subs, although Everton still posed a danger on the counterattack.

To give them credit, Everton put up a really difficult obstacle for both City and Liverpool, and had a penalty shout in both matches.  I think Liverpool would have won anyway, but IIRC the City handball was very late in the game.  Those two extra points for City is what will give them the title.

I can only assume someone roofied Trent today.  Strange showing by him. But nice to see another installment in Origi’s vendetta against Everton.  Another Funes-Mori-fuck-you right there.  Nice skill from Diaz.

Really tough week ahead for Liverpool.  That game will have drained the players before a tough opponent in Villareal and then a tough game early away on Saturday against the high-flying Geordies.  Difficult decisions ahead on rotation.

Lampard sent out an Everton team with a lineup and tactics set to not lose the game.  That was a relegation-bound display of ideas, and the fans at Anfield chanting Rafa's name had to hurt the Blues in attendance having to watch that.

Liverpool looked ropy and tired, but given the full 90 minutes to attack a parked bus, once Divock Origi came on, the game was decided.  The local Everton fan in the restaurant we watched the game at over breakfast got up, glumly cursed Fat Frank as useless, bid us goodbye, and left after the first goal went in.

Archived