Football: Roll of the Dyche

Iskaral Pust

I don't think United will go for either of them, as they need to strengthen multiple parts of the squad, and splurging £100m+ on one player is going to get in the way of that, but even if they did - why would either of them join United at the moment?

Not trying to have a go, it's just that Kane's getting on and wants trophies, and Rice wants Champions League football, and neither are going to get that at United next year.

Rice's best bet is probably to wait it out for another year at West Ham and seen how things are then. Perhaps ETH will have United back in the top 4.

The Man Utd board have shown themselves to be fond of a 'statement signing'. That's the best reason why they'd go for Kane or Rice. It'll sell shirts.

Why would either accept? Lack of better options, realistically, is the only reason.

I think Rice will be too expensive for anyone this year - some reports were saying West Ham would only accept a ludicrous price this year ranging from £120-150m. I don't think anyone would be willing to fork over that kind of money for Rice.

Kane isn't joining United either since he wants trophies and he isn't going to get that at United plus Levy isn't selling to United. Maybe PSG might be in for Kane when Mbappe leaves and since Icardi is a dud, they will need a CF. Levy would be much more willing to do a deal with them too.

With all the players leaving, Greenwood's career at United being over and others who are disgruntled and looking to leave, United will need to make six or seven signings. Blowing 200+ million on two players would not help much.

Rangnick has been appointed as Austria's manager. Reports say he will still fulfill his consultancy role at United.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

His contract runs until the end of next season.

Ok, but that still gives them well over a year to come up to an agreement. Who would City sign and/or where would Pep go that would be a better fit for either of them?

26 minutes ago, baxus said:

Ok, but that still gives them well over a year to come up to an agreement. Who would City sign and/or where would Pep go that would be a better fit for either of them?

The question is probably more one of burn out. Pep seems to have a limit on how long he really wants to stay in one place, and will probably want some sort of break. Ideally for him he wins the Champions League and can ride off into the sunset.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't think United will go for either of them, as they need to strengthen multiple parts of the squad, and splurging £100m+ on one player is going to get in the way of that, but even if they did - why would either of them join United at the moment?

That is correct from a sane football perspective. As in, what would a football club do.

However, with United it's always mixture of politics and marketing these days.

Glazers: the peasents are out with their pitchforks and torches again. Let's make a big signing that pacifies them, and they will buy a few million jersey on their home, too. Win-Win.

Realistically, they'd need like 4-5 new players.

Another centreback (yet again), that long needed DM, a new CM to replace Pogba, a new CF. That's probably the most urgent areas that need strengthening. Next signings would be FBs (both sides), and a backup for the new DM (you really don't want to run that new toy into the ground after two seasons). 

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Another centreback (yet again), that long needed DM, a new CM to replace Pogba, a new CF. That's probably the most urgent areas that need strengthening. Next signings would be FBs (both sides), 

I think at least one fb- right sided for priority- will probably come before a direct Pogba replacement. If we get the right DM, improving on McFred as box-to-boxers won't be as urgent a need and ETH will almost certainly initially seek a way to fit Donny and Bruno together anyway.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I think it's fair to say his tenure has been an unmitigated disaster.

It achieved the number one priority, which was to replace Solksjaer with someone who gave the board time to think about their next appointment. Admittedly they could've done that by simply giving a caretacker role to Carrick, but then they'd have been faced with months of headlines about why he was perfect for the role long term (every time he won) or was the worst manager in history and the board looked set to repeat the Solksjaer mistake (if he lost).

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I think at least one fb- right sided for priority- will probably come before a direct Pogba replacement. If we get the right DM, improving on McFred as box-to-boxers won't be as urgent a need and ETH will almost certainly initially seek a way to fit Donny and Bruno together anyway.

We need to replace Pogba and Matic. Even if VdB is given another chance, that leaves us with 4 midfielders. You cannot go into a season with only 4 first team midfielders.

Eta. If EtH plays a 4-3-3, we need 6 first team midfielders at least (7 would be the ideal number for depth).

53 minutes ago, mormont said:

It achieved the number one priority, which was to replace Solksjaer with someone who gave the board time to think about their next appointment. Admittedly they could've done that by simply giving a caretacker role to Carrick, but then they'd have been faced with months of headlines about why he was perfect for the role long term (every time he won) or was the worst manager in history and the board looked set to repeat the Solksjaer mistake (if he lost).

Carrick wasn't going to take the job anyway. Reports were that he wanted to leave when Solskjaer was sacked but accepted to be caretaker for a few games until the board hired someone else.

Eta. Iirc, he did say that it did not feel right for him to stay on after Solksjaer was sacked.

37 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

We need to replace Pogba and Matic. Even if VdB is given another chance, that leaves us with 4 midfielders. You cannot go into a season with only 4 first team midfielders.

Eta. If EtH plays a 4-3-3, we need 6 first team midfielders at least (7 would be the ideal number for depth).

Obviously in an ideal world that is what will happen. I just think we're gonna prioritise and if we sort the DM out fast then I think Ten Hag will think if it comes to it we can work it through with the others, plus some depth signings. We simply aren't gonna fix everything in one go. 

Anyway, in genuinely great news:

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The question is probably more one of burn out. Pep seems to have a limit on how long he really wants to stay in one place, and will probably want some sort of break. Ideally for him he wins the Champions League and can ride off into the sunset.

Burnout is always possible, but if he does win the Champions League (hopefully, not this season :lol:) there is no way he's leaving. City would pile so much money on him he physically wouldn't be able to do it.

'Tis the year that keeps on giving in football.

My local team here, Bryne FK, are now five games into the season. Playing in the Norwegian second division. Thus far, we have ... five losses. All with a 1-2 scoreline.

I'd like an alternate universe, please.

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

'Tis the year that keeps on giving in football.

My local team here, Bryne FK, are now five games into the season. Playing in the Norwegian second division. Thus far, we have ... five losses. All with a 1-2 scoreline.

I'd like an alternate universe, please.

Well, and my half a season team has striked again. So they have decided to throw away very achievable promotion this season. So yeah, this season is ending on a rather low note. 

Archived